Did Oil change place use the wrong filter?

They have acceptable x-reference filters for when a specific PN is not available.

So, if you must quicklube, then buy a filter at malwart before going there.

If bigger includes more media nd oil capacities, then bigger is better. Not really much of an issue if you have a sensible oil change interval.

Well I do know FL820S and FL910S cross just the 910 is smaller. Looks like what they have done here. And that looks like a filter from an unreputable oil change place chain that I should not mention.

According to Fram, these two filters have different bypass ratings. The PH2 and PH10575 (crossed over from the appropriate Ford filter) have a 12 and 16-28 PSI bypass rating respectively. I don't know if Ford publishes the bypass valve requirement, but the fact that Fram has two very different specs makes me believe the filter is not 100% interchangeable. The gasket diameters are close, but no cigar either, one is wider about 1/4", not likely to hurt anything though.

I would be bothered by that filter substitution to the point where I'd leave a negative review and not give them repeat business. The PH2 is such a common filter, it seems ridiculous they wouldn't have it.

1612144304275.png

OF2222 is what service champ lists as correct for your vehicle. So no, they used the filter that their filter vendor catalogged for your vehicle. This is why I only use OE oil filters in my shop. That way no one can say I used the wrong filter

According to Fram, these two filters have different bypass ratings. The PH2 and PH10575 (crossed over from the appropriate Ford filter) have a 12 and 16-28 PSI bypass rating respectively. I don't know if Ford publishes the bypass valve requirement, but the fact that Fram has two very different specs makes me believe the filter is not 100% interchangeable. The gasket diameters are close, but no cigar either, one is wider about 1/4", not likely to hurt anything though.

I would be bothered by that filter substitution to the point where I'd leave a negative review and not give them repeat business. The PH2 is such a common filter, it seems ridiculous they wouldn't have it.
People do not understand what the oil-filter bypass spec is for. There is no such thing as an oil-filter bypass valve requirement for an engine. Oil-filter bypass valve pressure rating is entirely dependent on the type and size of the filter media and it has nothing to do with the engine. Its purpose is to protect the filter media or filter from bursting. Therefore, it varies only according to the filter media type and size. It is not an engine-design or engine-specific spec. It's an oil-filter-specific spec. Larger oil filters will have smaller pressure drops and smaller bypass valve opening pressures as a result. In general a larger oil filter has benefits due to higher capacity, which typically also results in higher efficiency due to less collected-particle unloading, and smaller pressure drop, but smaller oil filters will work OK in most engines. A larger oil filter will also require more oil in the sump, which is usually a good thing.

Last edited:

That cross reference may be outdated, the ph10575 used to have a lower bypass valve value, for applications where the higher bypass value wouldn't work Fram now recommends the ph10060

People do not understand what the oil-filter bypass spec is for. There is no such thing as an oil-filter bypass valve requirement for an engine. Oil-filter bypass valve pressure rating is entirely dependent on the type and size of the filter media and it has nothing to do with the engine. Its purpose is to protect the filter media or filter from bursting. Therefore, it varies only according to the filter media type and size. It is not an engine-design or engine-specific spec. It's an oil-filter-specific spec. Larger oil filters will have smaller pressure drops and smaller bypass valve opening pressures as a result. In general a larger oil filter has benefits due to higher capacity, which typically also results in higher efficiency due to less collected-particle unloading, and smaller pressure drop, but smaller oil filters will work OK in most engines. A larger oil filter will also require more oil in the sump, which is usually a good thing.
Great post Gokhan, thank you. What does it mean when an oil filter has no bypass setting such as PH3682 for older Nissans? Thanks in advance.

This has been debated ad nauseam on this forum and your statement is far from universally accepted. Personally I think it's more supposition than actual fact.

One example: GM updated their PF64 filter some time ago, and their only change to the filter was the bypass rating. That coincided with the revision / introduction of some engine models. Many folks have cut both open to verify that the media had not changed, plenty of pictures on the net if you care to Google. If the old filter bypass rating only affected the filter itself, why the change? Are you to tell me that GM is wasting their time? I think it's more likely that some oil system attributes / engine design DO play a roll in bypass valve requirements.

Attached is one GM document advising against using bypass rating lower than what's specified.

Attachments

• bulletin.pdf
    161.3 KB · Views: 14
There is no such thing as a wrong spin-on oil filter if it physically fits without leaks. They all do the same thing regardless of the size and type of the filter media.
There are more advanced oil pumps on today’s engines and a filter should have the correct PRV
What you keep posting is not in line with GM’s position on my engine

Great post Gokhan, thank you. What does it mean when an oil filter has no bypass setting such as PH3682 for older Nissans? Thanks in advance.
It means it has no bypass valve. This will result in the filter media tearing if the pressure drop becomes too large. Therefore, the filter medias serves as a bypass fuse, permanently allowing dirty oil when it clogs. I would avoid an oil filter without a bypass valve to have peace of mind.

That cross reference may be outdated, the ph10575 used to have a lower bypass valve value, for applications where the higher bypass value wouldn't work Fram now recommends the ph10060
The Service Champ filter cross references to a FL-500S right on their website. On Fram's website, a FL-500S crosses to a PH10575.

This has been debated ad nauseam on this forum and your statement is far from universally accepted. Personally I think it's more supposition than actual fact.

One example: GM updated their PF64 filter some time ago, and their only change to the filter was the bypass rating. That coincided with the revision / introduction of some engine models. Many folks have cut both open to verify that the media had not changed, plenty of pictures on the net if you care to Google. If the old filter bypass rating only affected the filter itself, why the change? Are you to tell me that GM is wasting their time? I think it's more likely that some oil system attributes / engine design DO play a roll in bypass valve requirements.

Attached is one GM document advising against using bypass rating lower than what's specified.
Good reference, thanks.

However, at the end of the day, when the bypass valve opens is not only a function of the bypass valve rating but also the type and size of the filter media. GM can't tell me that an oversized Fram Ultra with a lower bypass valve opening pressure will open its bypass valve before their mediocre OEM oil filter does.

It means it has no bypass valve. This will result in the filter media tearing if the pressure drop becomes too large. Therefore, the filter medias serves as a bypass fuse, permanently allowing dirty oil when it clogs. I would avoid an oil filter without a bypass valve to have peace of mind.
No, the vehicles that call for that filter have a bypass valve on the engine, the filter will get bypassed if the pressure drop across the media exceeds the threshold of the in block valve.

Back