Did I spot a prototype BMW?

PXL_20220627_212759529.jpg

PXL_20220627_213153567.jpg

Commuting through the Holland Tunnel today, it was on Vehicle MFR plates, not dealer plates

It's labeled BMW EX, with an xDrive logo on the right

I couldn't quite ascertain if it was electric or not, but at times it seemed suspiciously quiet 🤫

Discuss.

I just saw one last night for the first time. I never knew this even existed until then.

My wife first saw an iX from the rear; she told me she was all set to consider buying one until she say the front fascia. The only two late model Bimmers I'm considering are the previous generation M4 Comp and the soon to be replaced M2 Comp.

A non hideous EV that does not look as dorky. Sorry Tesla owners. I have never understood why car makers went out of their way to make efficient cars like Prius and even Bolt hideous except maybe owner bragging rights I don’t drive a cool looking car? There is nothing cool about a Tesla except tech and driveline.

A non hideous EV that does not look as dorky. Sorry Tesla owners. I have never understood why car makers went out of their way to make efficient cars like Prius and even Bolt hideous except maybe owner bragging rights I don’t drive a cool looking car? There is nothing cool about a Tesla except tech and driveline.
I don't get it either. Why not make it look like a normal car instead of an ugly space ship?

BMW grilles are as iconic as Pontiac grilles. But that BMW grill reminds me of an old Play-Doh Fun Factory - something is going to squirt out at any minute.

The kidney grills are bad (although it has to have them to look like a BMW) but the pentagonal brake cooling ducts/ fog light accents are full on barfy.

Rear isn't bad aside from the lack of glass endemic to most new cars.

Mercedes would have a dinner-plate sized emblem in the middle of their grill, so there's no accounting for taste on the other side either.

If it were a prototype it would have vinyl wrap all over it and cladding to conceal body lines. I see prototypes / test beds around Detroit all the time whenever I travel there. Sometimes they'll be driving in teams and I've even seen them with lidar and exterior measuring equipment attached.

With manufacturer plates it could also be an auto reviewer.

Back