Dexos oil vs NON Dexos

3. Your link doesn't show that PUP is Dexos licensed, that's why I asked you to post a screenshot so that you can support your statement.

I'm not trying to earn your participation trophy for "winning" anything. I'm just looking for clarity. You're telling me you can't see the dexos1 verbiage, plain as day on their site.

Based on the above, I'm guessing you DO see where it says "GM dexos1 certification" in PUP's official link, but you are refusing to recognize it as such, because there is no license number. Fair enough! I didn't even think about a license number. Like I say, don't really care one way or the other. I'd use it either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
PUP is good motor oil, but it's not Dexos licensed. Uhm, Dexos is a license, not a certification. The way it works is that the blender pays GM for a Dexos license per product/per gallon of oil sold and GM grants them the right to use the Dexos logo if the lubricant meets their performance criteria. PUP is not Dexos licensed because Shell doesn't want to make GM more money than they already do. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the oil.

View attachment 131416

0cbd9f04-6d9e-4290-8fa2-d7644ffe3392.cd23d8b734e59101e2557cc4efbe629f.jpeg

View attachment 131417

Prior to Pearl - there were formulations that were not GTL - now all the Shell stuff is. QSFS is GTL with more PPM in the add pack
(I didn’t say better - but it’s the true value in the family) …

The data is pulled straight from their database. It's the same database used to store the programmatically generated license numbers when they are granted and generated. The entire system is automated. It's also where licensees report their oil sales on a quarterly basis to GM and pay their fees for using the Dexos logo.

The Dexos logo has to be displayed on each container that contains Dexos licensed motor oil. That's the entire point of this quasi-marketing gimmick. The Dexos license and logo is supposed to help blenders sell more oil.

If @JTK wants to win this argument he needs to provide some evidence that support his claims. A valid Dexos license number for one of the products would be a good start. They can be found inside the PDS documentation for each product.
Nobody has to "win" or "lose" here, good grief. He's just sharing a finding.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz or earn your participation trophy for "winning" anything. I'm just looking for clarity. You're telling me you can't see the dexos1 verbiage, plain as day on their site.

Based on the above, I'm guessing you DO see where it says "GM dexos1 certification" in PUP's official link, but you are refusing to recognize it as such, because there is no license number. Fair enough! I didn't even think about a license number. Like I say, don't really care one way or the other. I'd use it either way.
When you buy Dexos licensed oil, you're paying for the cost of the license in the price of the oil. Shell cuts costs by not paying GM the Dexos licensing fees for PUP. Personally, I don't care, PUP is good oil.

I wasn't looking to argue either, I just wanted you to realize that it's not licensed.

My personal preference is to not put money in GM's pockets if I can help it. I have nothing against GM, however I don't own any GM vehicles. Consequently, I see no reason to pay for that license in the price of the oil.

Prior to Pearl - there were formulations that were not GTL - now all the Shell stuff is. QSFS is GTL with more PPM in the add pack (I didn’t say better - but it’s the true value in the family) …
Quaker State is good value, no doubt about it, especially their 5W-40 Euro, that's a true gem for the price.

I always thought that the 0W-20/5W-20/5W-30 QS lineup was Group III and PP/PUP were GTL, or at least PP was a mix of Group III and GTL. In my view, if they're all GTL, even better. Shell did a poor job to differentiate these products. But hey, if they perform well, that's all that matters. Mobil does something similar with their EP/Vanilla lineups. Sometimes I wonder if they bother truly bother to differentiate the formulations or if they bottle the same lubricants in the 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosities.

Also, I believe the old Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was indeed Dexos licensed.

Generally yes. Dexos1 Gen 3 is a more stringent standard than API SP.

But, Dexos1 approval is a costly license and for whatever reason, high mileage oils don't carry Dexos1 approvals, but that doesn't mean that a high-mileage oil is not as good as its standard-use counterpart.

Boutique blenders, such as Amsoil and Redline, also produce great oils but choose not to license their oils under Dexos1.

And there are Euro-spec oils that are mid- or high-saps that would never get approved under Dexos1 anyway.
Castrol EDGE High Mileage is the only H.M. oil that is still DEXOS-licensed that I know of.

Like I stated previously, Most "synthetic" RC oils FAR exceed ILSAC GF6A and thus will likely exceed performance requirement of Dexos1 Gen3

Shell stated they certified the oil to Dexos1, they likely just didn't license it. NO dexos on the label = likely no license

SIMPLE.

Even though they've recently produced Challengers with them, I'm pretty sure they don't. They don't shake anymore without the lumpy cams of the olden days.

I think Ford was first in 1969. Very nice.
1257_p9_f.jpg

Chrysler's came along a year later. They really nailed the cool factor.
Screenshot_20221219-121352.jpg

Pontiac may have been best functionally, with the vacuum actuated door facing the high pressure area at the base of the windscreen.

Even though they've recently produced Challengers with them, I'm pretty sure they don't. They don't shake anymore without the lumpy cams of the olden days.

I think Ford was first in 1969. Very nice.
View attachment 131544

Chrysler's came along a year later. They really nailed the cool factor.
View attachment 131545

Pontiac may have been best functionally, with the vacuum actuated door facing the high pressure area at the base of the windscreen.

Yup - think the Big 3 were all just months apart in the rumpity - rumpity era …

Shell cuts costs by not paying GM the Dexos licensing fees for PUP.
Or it just can not meet the specifications of dexos. I guess we will never know the reason, unless you have some inside information? What we do know, is that PUP is not Dexos licensed, everything else is speculation.

Reactions: JTK

Dexos gen3 has more stringent requirements than API SP, how can you tell that oil without dexos license is the same? Sure, missing license does not mean it does not meet the same requirements, but is there anything objective to back up such claims?

Dexos gen3 has more stringent requirements than API SP, how can you tell that oil without dexos license is the same? Sure, missing license does not mean it does not meet the same requirements, but is there anything objective to back up such claims?
Is dexos good oil sure, I have QSFS 5w30 on the shelf that has the dexos license. Are Mobil 1 HM's, M1 0w40, M1 10w30; PP HM, PP 0w40 any of the PUP for example that don't carry it inferior? No. Is QSFS 5w30 better than HPL, Amsoil, or Redline 5W30s just bc the QSFS has the dexos and the others don't? No. So if you need Dexos for warranty or have a dexos spec'd motor and want to run it, buy it. If you don't care, any from the above or major oil/major made house brand oil is not going to perform worse for the vast majority of dexos spec'd engines on the road that are maintained properly. So without splitting hairs, the logical easy short answer to the OP question is still no.

I just think that some try to justify cheap generic conventional vs a quality 'spec'.

If you have to choose from 2 similar/like labelled common oils, I would always take a full synthetic over a conventional. And, certain automotive specs, like Dexos, can improve on a 'common' spec. So yes, I'd take a Dexos SP/GF6(common spec) oil over ANY non-dexos SP/GF6 oil.

I also would take an HTO-06 over a non HTO-06 equivalent API synth oil too.

For every grade, there is a spec that might approve on that grade. For common diesel 5w40's, I'd look for the meets/exceeds/approved Ford requirement.

I always cringe when I see clueless neighbors topping off their 'classic' cars with oils that didn't do too well in "PQIA" testing. Compare your Dexos 5w30 to any "CONSUMER ALERT" oil.

Back