Dexos oil vs NON Dexos

Can you even get a non-dexos passenger car oil these days?
You sure can. Pennzoil Platinum Ultra is one fine example that comes to mind. Dexos is a performance specification with a marketing twist that GM can't enforce and the blender has to pay for. Would I run PUP 0W-20, Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20, or Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in a GM vehicle? I sure would.

I have a feeling you're still searching for that "Best Motor Oil".

I'm here to tell you that you haven't even scratched the surface.

You absolutely have to try this:

BC-NM-Dollar-General-Oil-Lawsuit-IMG-jpg.jpg
I used to use that oil back in high school. My ‘76 Mustang 2 leaked and burnt so much oil that I kept a case in the trunk. I remember being so mad when it went from $0.50 to $0.75 a quart! I remember when my dad handed me the keys, he said “son, you’ll learn how to work on cars, and to never buy another f’n Ford” LOL

You sure can. Pennzoil Platinum Ultra is one fine example that comes to mind. Dexos is a performance specification with a marketing twist that GM can't enforce and the blender has to pay for. Would I run PUP 0W-20, Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20, or Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in a GM vehicle? I sure would.
Unless I'm missing something, best I can tell the 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 versions of that oil are Dexos1 certified.

Unless I'm missing something, best I can tell the 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 versions of that oil are Dexos1 certified.
PUP is good motor oil, but it's not Dexos licensed. Uhm, Dexos is a license, not a certification. The way it works is that the blender pays GM for a Dexos license per product/per gallon of oil sold and GM grants them the right to use the Dexos logo if the lubricant meets their performance criteria. PUP is not Dexos licensed because Shell doesn't want to make GM more money than they already do. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the oil.

1671397871395.jpg

0cbd9f04-6d9e-4290-8fa2-d7644ffe3392.cd23d8b734e59101e2557cc4efbe629f.jpeg

1671397903386.jpg

PUP is good motor oil, but it's not Dexos licensed. Uhm, Dexos is a license, not a certification. The way it works is that the blender pays GM for a Dexos license per product/per gallon of oil sold and GM grants them the right to use the Dexos logo if the lubricant meets their performance criteria. PUP is not Dexos licensed because Shell doesn't want to make GM more money than they already do. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the oil.
If you hit the "specifications" tab midway down the page here: https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...VkYXBwLnN0YXRpYy9pbmRleC5odG1sP2xhbmc9ZW4tVVM

It states which of the PUP are Dexos1 and it clearly says certification.

I know for sure, 100%, that Shell doesn't pay GM Dexos license fees for PUP. But if you insist that PUP is Dexos approved, then please post of screenshot of where it says so.
Dude, I don't care if the oil is Dexos99.

I'm just showing you a link direct from the PUP site that says their 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 are dexos1. No need to screen shot if for you.

Dude, I don't care if the oil is Dexos99.

I'm just showing you a link direct from the PUP site that says their 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 are dexos1. No need to screen shot if for you.
  1. Dexos is not an Approval, it's a License.
  2. Not a single product in the PUP lineup is Dexos licensed.
  3. Your link doesn't show that PUP is Dexos licensed, that's why I asked you to post a screenshot so that you can support your statement.

Go get some Mopar or ZF ATF - and then decide who is the rip off … Dexos oil is cheap and readily available
ATF+4? That ATF is everywhere! The licensing comment was a joke-but there are many,MANY blenders who don’t want to pay GM’s fees, and a lot of Euro manufacturers who aren’t Dexos licensed either with perfectly good products. Didn’t say Dexos was a ripoff, just implying it’s not the be-all/end-all in oil selection.

I know for sure, 100%, that Shell doesn't pay GM Dexos license fees for PUP. But if you insist that PUP is Dexos approved, then please post of screenshot of where it says so.
His link under the Pennzoil Ultra "Specifications" list does say:
GM dexos1™ Certification(SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)

ATF+4? That ATF is everywhere! The licensing comment was a joke-but there are many,MANY blenders who don’t want to pay GM’s fees, and a lot of Euro manufacturers who aren’t Dexos licensed either with perfectly good products. Didn’t say Dexos was a ripoff, just implying it’s not the be-all/end-all in oil selection.
No - for the ZF or Mopar equivalent … not much uses ATF+4 anymore

His link under the Pennzoil Ultra "Specifications" list does say:
GM dexos1™ Certification(SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)
Post a screenshot please and the Dexos license number. It should be listed on the spec sheet and the container, but it isn't.

Here is a list from GM that shows all the Dexos licenses they issued for Pennzoil products. There is no Platinum Ultra products on this list:

Check for yourself here: https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

1671405484621.jpg

Post a screenshot please and the Dexos license number. It should be listed on the spec sheet and the container, but it isn't.

Here is a list from GM that shows all the Dexos licenses they issued for Pennzoil products. There is no Platinum Ultra products on this list:

Check for yourself here: https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

View attachment 131454
Why can't you just click it yourself? It doesn't say the license number, it's not that deep and I just copy and pasted exactly what it shows. I'm just supporting him that yes what he's seeing in their marketing is real, it does reference Dexos1 on their PUP information page. Could that be a mistake? Yeah, possibly. But he's not making up what he's seeing, that's all. Also who's to say the GM Dexos list gets updated constantly in real-time either.

Last edited:
No - for the ZF or Mopar equivalent … not much uses ATF+4 anymore

I didn’t realize you meant FCA/Stellantis ATF, everything involved with those is large $$$.

I didn’t realize you meant FCA/Stellantis ATF, everything involved with those is large $$$.
Especially the dealerships …
I shopped for ZF online a few months back - it was $22 and sits next to my $5 Dex VI …
My transfer case does take ATF+4 and I like that as it’s a bit thicker and just 2 x $10 …

Also who's to say the GM Dexos list gets updated constantly in real-time either.
The data is pulled straight from their database. It's the same database used to store the programmatically generated license numbers when they are granted and generated. The entire system is automated. It's also where licensees report their oil sales on a quarterly basis to GM and pay their fees for using the Dexos logo.

The Dexos logo has to be displayed on each container that contains Dexos licensed motor oil. That's the entire point of this quasi-marketing gimmick. The Dexos license and logo is supposed to help blenders sell more oil.

If @JTK wants to win this argument he needs to provide some evidence that support his claims. A valid Dexos license number for one of the products would be a good start. They can be found inside the PDS documentation for each product.

Back