Dexos oil vs NON Dexos

Generally yes. Dexos1 Gen 3 is a more stringent standard than API SP.

But, Dexos1 approval is a costly license and for whatever reason, high mileage oils don't carry Dexos1 approvals, but that doesn't mean that a high-mileage oil is not as good as its standard-use counterpart.

Boutique blenders, such as Amsoil and Redline, also produce great oils but choose not to license their oils under Dexos1.

And there are Euro-spec oils that are mid- or high-saps that would never get approved under Dexos1 anyway.

high mileage oils don't carry Dexos1 approvals, but that doesn't mean that a high-mileage oil is not as good as its standard-use counterpart.
Interesting. Is there an additive or additives that keep it from meeting that spec ?

Amsoil and Redline, also produce great oils but choose not to license their oils under Dexos1.
They don't license them strictly for financial reasons, if I'm not mistaken, and good for them for not giving in.

So here is a question, are the Dexos approved oil’s better than non Dexos oil ?
Depends on whether or not you can tell if the non-Dexos oil is actually a different formulation vs the Dexos product. It's entirely plausible that they are one in the same but marketed differently with different certifications.

Last edited:
Interesting. Is there an additive or additives that keep it from meeting that spec ?

Great question, I wish I had the answer, just functioning off the observation that very few high-mileage full synthetics are Dexos-licensed.

Depends on whether or not you can tell if the non-Dexos oil is actually a different formulation vs the Dexos product. It's entirely plausible that they are one in the same but marketed differently with different certifications.
I pay little to no attention to DEXOS so I don't know if companies like Castrol, Valvoline, QS, etc, etc had to reformulate their existing oils to meet DEXOS or not. I suspect a lot of oils already met it though.

Back