Dexos D alternative

I'm interested in this thread as well, I just purchased a 2024 Silverado with the 3.0. When I hit 500 miles, I'm putting in Amsoil's 0W20 Diesel oil and using a Fram XG12447 filter. After watching some videos on YouTube of a C&P of the factory PF66, I definitely want to stay away from those.

Found a good video regarding the viscosity for the LM2/LZ0. Gale Banks chimed in as well in this video.

Another in the many sources of gross misunderstanding about oil grades.

I'm interested in this thread as well, I just purchased a 2024 Silverado with the 3.0. When I hit 500 miles, I'm putting in Amsoil's 0W20 Diesel oil and using a Fram XG12447 filter. After watching some videos on YouTube of a C&P of the factory PF66, I definitely want to stay away from those.

Found a good video regarding the viscosity for the LM2/LZ0. Gale Banks chimed in as well in this video.

I run both 0W-20 (in the winter) and 5W-30 (spring thru fall) and have seen no difference in fuel mileage or oil pressure in my LM2 (using a Banks iDash). Both get around 28-29 mpg highway. Hard to tell around town as we switch over to winter fuel when I'm running 0W-20 which typically gets lower mileage anyway. Given the higher shear, and the towing I do Mar to Nov, I'll continue to run 5W-30 during that time. I do see a higher loss of oil running the lighter oil, though, as compared to the 5W-30, despite the towing. Banks knows his stuff but if all he has to say is the mileage may go down, I'll stick with what I'm doing. If he had stated, and showed, that the stresses on the oil pump belt go up 20-25% with 5W-30, then I would reconsider.

I run both 0W-20 (in the winter) and 5W-30 (spring thru fall) and have seen no difference in fuel mileage or oil pressure in my LM2 (using a Banks iDash). Both get around 28-29 mpg highway. Hard to tell around town as we switch over to winter fuel when I'm running 0W-20 which typically gets lower mileage anyway. Given the higher shear, and the towing I do Mar to Nov, I'll continue to run 5W-30 during that time. I do see a higher loss of oil running the lighter oil, though, as compared to the 5W-30, despite the towing. Banks knows his stuff but if all he has to say is the mileage may go down, I'll stick with what I'm doing. If he had stated, and showed, that the stresses on the oil pump belt go up 20-25% with 5W-30, then I would reconsider.
In a different thread you said you downloaded "GM's spec" for dexosD. Do you have the requirements for that license?

Search GMW18006. The price came down. Cost me about $65 to download it last year.

GMW18006, 5th Edition, June 2023 - dexos D Diesel Engine Oil

Note: Nothing in this standard supercedes applicable laws and regulations.

Note: In the event of conflict between the English and domestic language, the English language shall take precedence.

Purpose/Material Description.

This specification details the materials and performance requirements of dexos® D 0W20 and 5W30 diesel engine oil. Viscosity also referenced in document as 0WXX and 5WXX.

Symbols.

Not applicable.

Applicability.

dexos® D 0W20 and 5W30 diesel engine oils for use in diesel vehicles.

When the Ecodiesel debuted they recommended Euro L 5w30 (C3) oil analysis never looked great.

I’d ran mine with Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W30 its a “low saps” oil, meets ACEA E6 and now E9 categories, also meets CK4/SN.

Theres also Rotella T6 5W30 “multi vehicle”, similar design oil.

Ran my Ecodiesel with Rotella T5 10W30 few times, had some great analysis from it too.

Since ran 5W40 mostly.

Back