DENSO 150-2021 CUT OPEN

Ran this made in China DENSO 150-2021 5K miles on my Gladiator Pentastar 3.6L with the Baxter Performance oil filter adapter. Used Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. This filter cross references to a FRAM PH10575 for size comparison.

Overall happy with the construction and the many tight pleats.

20240223_152526.jpg

20240223_152541.jpg

20240223_152555.jpg

20240223_152606.jpg

20240223_153123.jpg

20240223_153143.jpg

20240223_153147.jpg

20240223_153230.jpg

20240223_153212.jpg

filter looks great! have you thought about a premium guard? very similar construction with a silicone ADBV and gasket.
On my radar. Have a couple of Carquest Premium filters to get through before I am looking at anything else.

^^^ Looks a lot less efficient than the Fram's 95% @ 20u ... lots of large opened pores that smaller particles can get through easier. Like shown in this ISO 4548-12 data.

1708767984439.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes its most likely a typical OEM filter where build quality is favored over filter efficiency.

Problem is the aftermarket highly efficient filter companies can't see to assemble a filter anymore, and there getting worse and using cheaper materials. I would say at this point the Ascent testing is probably outdated, only because so many build changes have occurred for those top filters since it was performed.

What to do 🤷‍♂️

^^^ Looks a lot less efficient than the Fram's 95% @ 20u ... lots of large opened pores that smaller particles can get through easier. Like shown in this ISO 4548-12 data.

View attachment 205101
Toyota and Honda have great track records for long lasting, well engineered built engines. Looking at this graph I have to ask why do the Honda and Toyota engineers spec oil filters with such low efficiency?

Denso FTF looks fine, like it got the job done. Fwiw, liked Denso FTF oil filters better before they moved to China coo. Afaik, Denso FTF publishes no efficiency info. That said, I 'suspect' not high efficiency.

If looking for an alternative in future, you should check out the new-ish CQ Premium Blue. Looks to me to be a Premium Guard filter, just in a plain white can, for less $$$ than Microgard Select and PGXL.

How's that Baxter conversion working for you?

Thanks for c&p.

Are the Carquest Premium Blue filters sold at Advance Auto? I think I read that Carquest merged with AA and I have no CQ near me.

Are the Carquest Premium Blue filters sold at Advance Auto? I think I read that Carquest merged with AA and I have no CQ near me.
Yep, sold at AAP but they are kept behind the counter so you must ask to see them. AAP basically bought CQ and their name for products sold at AAP. Always a 15% discount online code to be found by purchasing online for pick up.

How's that Baxter conversion working for you?
No complaints. Had a 2-3 second startup rattle with the OEM setup if the vehicle sat for more than a day. That is now gone with the Baxter Performance setup. I like the air hose evac system to drain the filter for removal and not a drop of oil dripped when removed. My pictures in this post show what oil remained inside when I cut the filter open.

I will say for anybody considering the Baxter Performance system for the Pentastar, be committed to doing all your own oil changes going forward or have a shop you can trust to know how to use the air evac system setup or you will have a mess when they remove the oil filter.

Yes its most likely a typical OEM filter where build quality is favored over filter efficiency.

Problem is the aftermarket highly efficient filter companies can't see to assemble a filter anymore, and there getting worse and using cheaper materials. I would say at this point the Ascent testing is probably outdated, only because so many build changes have occurred for those top filters since it was performed.

What to do 🤷‍♂️
I'm under the assumption that OEM's also favor what some here would say "lower efficiency" as well. I speculate it's due to cost, not wanting it load up, & bypass as a priority.

Yep, sold at AAP but they are kept behind the counter so you must ask to see them. AAP basically bought CQ and their name for products sold at AAP. Always a 15% discount online code to be found by purchasing online for pick up.
I thought I read that Carquest was their franchise's stores while AAP was corporate. I don't know if it's actually true though.

I thought I read that Carquest was their franchise's stores while AAP was corporate....
AAP purchased General Parts International, owner of CQ chain stores and World Pac, in 2013. Since then, the CQ name and parts under that name have been sold at AAP, headquarters now in Raleigh NC.

AAP purchased General Parts International, owner of CQ chain stores and World Pac in 2013. Since then, the CQ name and parts under that name have been sold at AAP, headquarters now in Raleigh NC.
Yes, AAP owns "Carquest" branding but I think the carquest is part of a franchise set-up. Here's the Carquest franchise site.
https://storeownership.carquest.com/s/

Back