Delo v Rotella + Conventional v Synthetic v Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Canadastang said:
Why not Valvoline Allfleet? It's cheap and works well in my tractor. My .02
The red bottle to the left in one of the photos is Valvoline, but Ashland products are off my list (they are permanently boycotted). [/quote

Why? What happened?

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Why not Valvoline Allfleet? It's cheap and works well in my tractor. My .02
The red bottle to the left in one of the photos is Valvoline, but Ashland products are off my list (they are permanently boycotted).
Why? What happened?
Years ago, Ashland bought a local shipyard, spent a lot of money upgrading it only to shut it down as a tax write-off (this was the plan all along). It put hundreds of workers out of a job drastically affecting a local economy including some of my family members. As long as there is an alternative, there will not be any Ashland products in any of my vehicles.

Delo (and Chevron in general) is very highly over-looked here.

Compared to its competition, the 3 "tiers" appear to be decently priced.

If your driving habits don't call for a synthetic, I would personally stick with whatever is cheapest. Maybe alternate OCI's from conventional to synthetic every once in a while too.

Very interesting about Valvoline, 2015 PSD. They are an "American" company too.

I prefer Chevron products first. Now that I can get Delo 10/30 I won't
have to get T5 anymore. Their gas is Tier 1. They had a Tier 1 employee
but he retire going on 2 years

Saw these prices today at WM and thought I would post for a conversation topic. I know we have beaten these to death, but it is a boring day.

Conventionals (I thought I had photos of these, but missed them):
Delo 400 LE (15W-40) = $11.28

Starting April 7, Costco has a 3 pack with a $7 instant savings available. I bet it's less than $11.28 at Wal*Mart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Interestingly, the Delo 15w-40 lists the Ford spec we need for our 2015 PSDs as does Rotella T6 5w-40, however, the Delo 5w-40 does not list the Ford spec. on either the bottle or the website.
I have this in my stash:
  • Delo 400 LE 5W-40
  • Delo 400 LE 15W-40
  • Delo 400 XLE 10W-30
  • Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
  • Kendall Super Dxa 15W-40
  • Rotella T3 15W-40
  • Rotella T6 5W-40
None of the jugs that I possess have the Ford WSS-M2C171–E specification printed on it. You are correct about the Delo 400 LE 5W-40 not showing the Ford specification (not even in the PDS) nor does Delo 400 XLE, but even more interesting to me is that neither Delvac 1 ESP or Delvac Super 1300 have it in either of their PDS documents. I am going to send a mail to Chevron and Mobil to see what they say and will post the answers here (if I receive one).

I am sure they are all fine oils, but due to the missing Ford specification I bought Rotella T6 for the next change, replacing the Delo 15w-40 that's in there now. Due to the amount of towing I do, synthetic 5w-40 will probably be all she gets from now on.

Manual says 5w-40 for severe use, which includes towing and/or bio. Pretty much all diesel I get has bio now, and I tow. So T6 here. And fuel filters frequent changes due to the bio.

I am sure they are all fine oils, but due to the missing Ford specification I bought Rotella T6 for the next change, replacing the Delo 15w-40 that's in there now. Due to the amount of towing I do, synthetic 5w-40 will probably be all she gets from now on.
I have to admit that T6 was not as smooth as the Kendall that is in there now. The UOA was fine, but I have a few more to try before I weigh all of the options and pick a forever oil which will either be a synthetic or a synblend--shifting into severe duty takes very little with these engines and I do not want to plan that closely.

Interestingly, the Delo 15w-40 lists the Ford spec we need for our 2015 PSDs as does Rotella T6 5w-40, however, the Delo 5w-40 does not list the Ford spec. on either the bottle or the website.
I have this in my stash:
  • Delo 400 LE 5W-40
  • Delo 400 LE 15W-40
  • Delo 400 XLE 10W-30
  • Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
  • Kendall Super Dxa 15W-40
  • Rotella T3 15W-40
  • Rotella T6 5W-40
None of the jugs that I possess have the Ford WSS-M2C171–E specification printed on it. You are correct about the Delo 400 LE 5W-40 not showing the Ford specification (not even in the PDS) nor does Delo 400 XLE, but even more interesting to me is that neither Delvac 1 ESP or Delvac Super 1300 have it in either of their PDS documents. I am going to send a mail to Chevron and Mobil to see what they say and will post the answers here (if I receive one).
Chevron responded very quickly (note the time/date stamps)! It is unfortunate their synblend and synthetic does not meet the specification. I have used Delo 400 LE 5W-40 and it ran very well and the UOA was fine too. With that said, I am liking the Kendall that I have in it now and it does meet the specification. I will post Mobil's response when I receive it.

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 07:13
To: 2015_PSD
Subject: RE: Chevron Delo 400 LE and Delo 400 XLE

Thanks for your inquiry. Neither of our product meet the Ford specification listed below.

Regards,
Clay
Lubetek Engineer

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 4/12/2016 6:05 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Chevron Delo 400 LE and Delo 400 XLE
Hello,

I have a 2015 Ford F-250 with a 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel. I am interested in Delo 400 LE (5W-40) and Delo 400 XLE (10W-30). However, upon review, I do not see the Ford WSS-M2C171–E specification listed on the bottle nor in the PDS for either oil:

Delo 400 LE 5W-40 PDS

Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 PDS

Can you advise on whether or not these two oils meet the Ford specification?

I have to admit that T6 was not as smooth as the Kendall that is in there now. The UOA was fine, but I have a few more to try before I weigh all of the options and pick a forever oil which will either be a synthetic or a synblend--shifting into severe duty takes very little with these engines and I do not want to plan that closely.
I find it so interesting how some oil seem to be smoother or quieter than others.I went from what ever came in my new p/u to Pennzoil Platinum [great rebate] and the engine seemed noisy then to Magenetc semi syn and the engine seems quieter and smoother [the seat of the pants dyno is always spot on!!]. P.S. the 5w-40 for your engine seems to cover your use of the vehicle well.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I find it so interesting how some oil seem to be smoother or quieter than others.I went from what ever came in my new p/u to Pennzoil Platinum [great rebate] and the engine seemed noisy then to Magenetc semi syn and the engine seems quieter and smoother [the seat of the pants dyno is always spot on!!]. P.S. the 5w-40 for your engine seems to cover your use of the vehicle well.
Not scientific by any stretch and I put no faith in it since it "felt" smoother and I have no way to measure that. 5W-40 is a good choice, though I think more so is the synthetic piece and a synblend should fit my needs too. Most of the diesel around me is "up to" 5% biodiesel and when combined with towing or higher temperatures, you slide right into severe duty. Delo is the cheapest of the synthetics so it is a shame it does not meet the specification (which does not mean it will not work).

I also e-mailed Chevron a couple weeks ago and asked what the HTHS numbers were for their various diesel oils and they refused to answer stating "We don't normally give out that information" then asked why I wanted to know. At that point I just replied never mind and I ordered the Rotella T6. I never knew HTHS numbers were secret! It certainly lost them a sale.

I also e-mailed Chevron a couple weeks ago and asked what the HTHS numbers were for their various diesel oils and they refused to answer stating "We don't normally give out that information" then asked why I wanted to know. At that point I just replied never mind and I ordered the Rotella T6. I never knew HTHS numbers were secret! It certainly lost them a sale.

I was just googling that... No HTHS numbers. Mobil products gladly have those open to public.

Originally Posted By: Farmer

I was just googling that... No HTHS numbers. Mobil products gladly have those open to public.

Farmer, please let us know if you can find the HTHS of Mobil's top of the line Delvac products or get an answer via email. I'm curious myself but they don't put it out there for all products.

@ another Todd, what if you had called/emailed Shell or Mobil first, only to be let down by them, too? If you know their HTHS viscosities, please pass them along.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
I am going to send a mail to Chevron and Mobil to see what they say and will post the answers here (if I receive one).

That is strange. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 shows WSS-M2C171-E.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I am going to send a mail to Chevron and Mobil to see what they say and will post the answers here (if I receive one).
That is strange. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 shows WSS-M2C171-E.
I know. I have Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and I was equally surprised that it was not listed on the bottle or on the PDS. Mobil still has not responded, but it is not a big deal to me if they do not--Delvac ESP is too expensive (if not on sale) as compared to the other major brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back