Dell that doesn't want to boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Your best bet to recover the data is to just put it in the other system. Doesn't matter which ver of XP is on it.

Is there a good "How to" on the internet that you can recommend, for setting the drive up as a slave?

Once it has been used as a slave on my XP box, can it be reinstalled in its original machine and used as before?

There is likely a jumper schematic on the top of the drive showing you how to place the jumper to make the drive a slave.

Alternatively, you can just unhook the CD-ROM drive in the computer you will be using and hook the drive up to that cable and power, so you don't have to modify the jumper settings at all.

And while you COULD use the drive again, I imagine it is in the process of dying on you, so copy your stuff off and plan on replacing it.

So... all I have to do is change the jumper setting, and plug it up to the spare ribbon cable on my working Dell running XP? That's it?

Then, I assume it will show up as drive E?

So... all I have to do is change the jumper setting, and plug it up to the spare ribbon cable on my working Dell running XP? That's it?

Correct. If you disconnect the CD-ROM and use that cable, you don't even need to touch the jumpers.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Correct. If you disconnect the CD-ROM and use that cable, you don't even need to touch the jumpers.

OK. So I simply disconnect the cable from the CD-ROM drive in the working computer, and then use it to connect to the failing drive... and I won't have to change any settings on the failing drive or on the working computer?

That seems too easy... (but I'll do it!)

OK. I hooked it up to the CD-ROM cable on my Dell running XP, and powered it up. I was able to recover the files off of the drive.

I'd like to try to replace the screwed up/missing system file, and get this drive up and running again... if for nothing more to just be able to image or clone it onto a new drive, and save some money. This drive has MS Publisher on it, which isn't cheap to replace... and just had Office 2007 loaded on it not too long ago.

What are the suggestions for replacing the screwed up system file?

Repair install of XP.

BUT FIRST: on the computer you have the drive in presently:

start -> run -> cmd (OK)
chkdsk /r e: (or whatever the new drive letter was)

It will take a while and may fix it.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work:

Put the drive back in the system it came from.

Boot the XP CD. When it asks if you want to repair with Recovery Console, choose NO.

At the next screen it will scan for present copies of Windows, you can then choose to repair. Choose YES.

It will then go through the normal XP setup process but you won't lose anything.

It doesn't ask me the things that you mention. When I boot from the XP CD, I get this window (except mine says "XP Home" in the top line).

rc3.jpg

I know that "R" isn't going to help me at this point. When I choose "ENTER", I get the licensing agreement screen. I choose "F8" to agree, then I get this screen. There's nothing there about a repair install.

003.jpg

Yes. When I ran chhdsk, it ran just fine, and didn't report any issues. It took about 15 minutes or so. That was easy.

However, when I re-installed the hard drive back into its system, nothing has changed. Same old error message, telling me to choose "R" to repair...

Are you sure you ran chkdsk on the right drive? With the /r flag on chkdsk it should have taken significantly longer than a normal chkdsk run.........

It is only a 20GB drive.

I connected it using the CD-R cable, and my computer recognized it as the d: drive. It's own 80GB drive is assigned as the c: drive.

I told it to: chkdsk /r d:

I can try it again.

Scrozzled drive has XP Home, with Service Pack 3 installed a few days before the drive developed this issue.

XP CD being used is XP Home, it says on it that it includes Service Pack 2... and is the CD for MY computer, but not for the computer I'm using it in.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400.
Broken computer is a Dell Dimension 4300S.

It is a Dell Reinstallation CD.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Including Service Pack 2

Well it seems to be having an issue finding the windows installation. See if Recovery Console can even find it. If it can't, I imagine you are SOL on retaining a "functional" copy of Windows on that drive from which you can clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back