Dell Laptop Inspiron 1545-021B

Status
Not open for further replies.
My whole family is looking at laptops to buy...We will prabably buy all 4 at the same time...We are currently looking at the Dell Inspiron-1545-021B 15.6 Pentium Dual-Core T4200 I can get each one for 425 bucks and get it delivered to my front door...Walmart is supposed to carry that model but they do not have it in stock.

C.R. says its a Best Buy...I used to have Dells up north where I used to work and had no issues with them.

What do you all think?

My wife has one. If it has Vista, it's a pooch, but basically anything with Vista is a pooch. I wiped it clean, and installed 7, 64 bit. Now it works like it should. It's a nice box, but some folks have an issue with the screen not having a positive catch to keep it closed. It's a combination of weight and spring tension. I don't see the issue, nor does my lovely spouse, but some people are really picky. Dell has great service also. I've only used it once, (I'm on my 3rd Dell lap, wife is on #2), but when I did, the process was painless, and next day. 4 thumbs up from us.

I strongly suggest to anyone purchasing a laptop that if you're buying one with an Intel processor, don't settle for anything less than a T6500 CPU model #. Make sure it's higher than that.

The T4200's are Core Duo's, not the Core2Duo...substantial performance differences.

If you're buying a laptop with AMD as the CPU maker, go with RM-80 or higher.

First hand, I've seen how un-fast these T4200's and RM-72 CPU's are...ain't no fun for the end user.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-i1545-4374pbu/4505-3121_7-33776106.html?tag=mncol;lst%5C

Dell has one with the T4300 for $449 delivered. Not saying that is the best price available, but just letting you know

On a performance note, if you are doing basic computer work, Internet etc and don't use 3D games this computer will be great. One of my sons has the 15 with the T6500 and it works like a champ.

My daughters have Toshiba's with T2080 and T3400 and both run very well...again with the understanding of what the computers are capable of and not expecting more.

IMO you will be happy as is. Dell can upgrade the processor for $75... it would be even better, but as configured you will be fine....

My HP and Toshiba cost about $500 each. The HP came with a TL60. The Toshiba came with a T6400. Both are 2.0ghz dual core CPU's and both have 3gb memory. For email/websurfing and most common programs, they work great. Anything cpu intensive requires time.

For a little more, get some more CPU! Upgrading later cost too much money.

The T4200 looks like a cache castrated Penryn, marketed without the fancy "duo" name.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37251

After getting a e-mail from Dell confirmming the order found out its Vista which nobody in my family wants due to issues with vista...What Consumer Reports did not say in their recent report [December 2009] is that this is a 2 year model.

I cancelled the order last night but haven't gotten a conformation number yet which is making me nervous...So far haven't been able to speak to the guy who got the order in the first place...All I get is his voicemall and no one is answering any phones when you call...Its just machines.

I am worried about getting 4 computers delivered to my front door to which I cancelled.

I am done with Consumer Reports...I have gotten Consumer Reports for years but it seems it is just a waste...Most of the things in C.R. I do not agree with anyway.

You should have just asked me
wink.gif
LOL!

It's a shame they are still selling Vista with anything. I know there still is product in the channel, but still.

I recommended this laptop to another fellow employee today, Best Buy SKU: 9556036, Asus for $629:
Link to Best Buy

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
wink.gif
LOL!

What Laptops do you recommend?..We don't want to spend more then 500 bucks....We might wait till January but maybe not.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
wink.gif
LOL!

What Laptops do you recommend?..We don't want to spend more then 500 bucks....We might wait till January but maybe not.

Something from ASUS with an Intel chipset.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
It's a shame they are still selling Vista with anything. I know there still is product in the channel, but still.

I recommended this laptop to another fellow employee today, Best Buy SKU: 9556036, Asus for $629:
Link to Best Buy

Thanks for recommendation.

wink.gif
LOL!

OK...Thanks

As I mentioned you can buy the Dell Inspiron 15 (1545) for $449 delivered. Might get a better deal with 4. All are shipped with Windows 7 64 bit installed. I don't understand how you got what you did. Here is the link to Dell.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segto...%2015&s=dhs

Software & Services1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis - Important Information

Also Includes
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4300 (2.1GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Microsoft® Works 9
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Glossy, widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366x768)
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
6-cell battery
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam
High Definition Audio 2.0
Jet Black
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor
Thank you for choosing Dell
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
WildTangent Games
1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection
No ISP requested

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
As I mentioned you can buy the Dell Inspiron 15 (1545) for $449 delivered. Might get a better deal with 4. All are shipped with Windows 7 64 bit installed. I don't understand how you got what you did. Here is the link to Dell.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segto...%2015&s=dhs

Software & Services1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis - Important Information

Also Includes
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4300 (2.1GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Microsoft® Works 9
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Glossy, widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366x768)
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
6-cell battery
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam
High Definition Audio 2.0
Jet Black
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor
Thank you for choosing Dell
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
WildTangent Games
1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection
No ISP requested

I think Dell is off the table at this point...Thanks a lot for the information...I am using your info to get a conformation on the order I cancelled.

So far they have been a nightmare to deal with.

wink.gif
LOL!

OVERK1LL -

Why ASUS versus Toshiba, HP, Sony, etc? And why Intel only versus Intel or AMD? (As though there are dozens of choices in chip manufacturers). I ask because I will be in the laptop (second one) market soon. Thanks.

Intel vs AMD only? Try finding another CPU mfr besides Via in the netbook space...there's only 2 players in most of the market whether you're buing a $250 netbook or $20,000 application server: Intel vs AMD.

Back to laptops...
HP's failure rate is higher than most, but a warranty protects you. I do like HP's designs though. You GOTTA watch for the type of screens HP uses on their laptops. Some of the more "lower-end" ones use a less-bright, basic screen that isn't bright enough to sufficiently use in fluorescent lighting w/o eye strain.

Toshiba isn't bad. I find their keyboards a bit awkward, support isn't the easiest to deal with.

Sony, overpriced. Too many horror stories with their support.

Asus has good reliability. Dunno about support as I have never had to call regarding products in consumer market space.

Dell, I like, but like any & all other mfr's, they have their faults, just ask the OP.

ASUS has a standard two year warranty. If it breaks, the repair depot is CLOSE. They send you a pre-paid box to ship it in, and the turnaround is VERY quick.

That being said, they have the lowest failure rate of any laptop I've ever used.

Intel chipset: Their notebook solutions are superior. Nothing else comes close to Centrino in terms of total platform power management.

ASUS has a standard two year warranty. If it breaks, the repair depot is CLOSE. They send you a pre-paid box to ship it in, and the turnaround is VERY quick.

That being said, they have the lowest failure rate of any laptop I've ever used.

Intel chipset: Their notebook solutions are superior. Nothing else comes close to Centrino in terms of total platform power management.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll add them to my laptop list when I begin shopping in five weeks.

From the end-user perspective, people REALLY like that Asus I linked above. Another person I support is bringing their newly purchased Asus laptop in for me to configure for our network.

There was a line of people waiting to buy it on Saturday. They got it, there was one left.

Asus is doing many things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back