Definition of boutique

Status
Not open for further replies.
definition

: a small company that offers highly specialized services or products

So if you buy "boutique" oil, what exactly about the FORMULA makes it specialized over the conglomerates that based on size alone takes them out of being boutique. Many of these companies comit to having specialized products, they put their name on the line by saying exactly what is in their formula, while others seam gimicky. They use of oil terms that are not spelled out for the user, while other "boutiques" have zero statements about what makes then specilized because well they aren't specialized on formula, just marketing.

Example..

A PROPRIETARY ADDITIVE TECHNOLOGY THAT SETS ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC OILS APART FROM THE COMPETITION
Synerlec additive technology makes Royal Purple unique—and it's a big reason why Royal Purple products perform like no other lubricants on the market. This man-made additive improves our products on a molecular level, by creating high-strength ionic bonds with metallic surfaces that allow our engine oils and other lubricants to react to sustained heat and pressure, not by breaking down like regular oil, but with increased film strength and lubricity.

With extended use, Royal Purple synthetic lubricants with Synerlec improve the surface condition of metallic surfaces by smoothing inherent surface roughness, actually reducing friction and improving lubrication of internal moving parts. That's why we put it in every Royal Purple lubricant we can, from our performance upgrade synthetic motor oils and gear oils to gun oil and any other types of Royal Purple synthetic lubricants. So if you're looking for high performance synthetic oil, look no further than Royal Purple synthetic lubricants with Synerlec.

Would you buy a "boutique" oil based on marketing alone without any Laymans description of what makes it specialzed? Especially when you compare the cSt to the hths and it appears to not look specialzed at all? If your senerlac looks like generilac wouldn't it be more prudent to buy a real specialized fluid or save your money and buy a generic oil? I see guys with thousands of posts using buzz terms like this brand oil has the strongest base oils I ever seen, and of course it is ridiculous when you actually LOOK at the stat sheet and compare cSt and hths. Those oils are actually "weak" not "strong". Why are these terms being used, when a guy with 10,000 posts says something is strong without pointing to a stat sheet that would prove or disprove their point. If you used cSt and hths as a guide, how many oils would actually make a true specialized oil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trolling.gif

I like transparancy regardless of the company. I hate the word "proprietary." It's a word that is 100% gauranteed to send me out the door and to the competition.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I hate the word "proprietary." It's a word that is 100% gauranteed to send me out the door and to the competition.

Which leads back to marketing works statement, unfortunately you are rare, too many people support brands w/o reviewing the formula. Proprietary is the same thing as someone running around calling a brand "strong". It's like let's not have a conversation, the person talking has determined this is good for us and no more conversing is warranted.

Originally Posted by CT8
Marketing works !!!

I agree. With regard to proprietary, I laugh. They're buying their base oils and add packs from the major players, so if they go a little higher or lower on an additive/additives they can call it proprietary and get away with it. It is a meaningless marketing word imo, but people buy into it so it works.

IIRC, "Synerlec" is just a sulphated Ester, which is an EP additive common in gear lubes and other products designed for EP applications (read: not engines). So indeed in the case of your OP example, being "Boutique" is just an excuse to charge more. Most of the observable data (which they hold close) for many of their products appears pretty mediocre
21.gif
From the last time I looked IIRC, their PDS's didn't have any telltale signs of premium base oils (PAO, POE) being used for the majority of their products.

Following ...

I catch grief for overkill oil on my Honda with Redline and Archoil. I paid the car off brand new in less than 24 months. Gave Honda my used Hyundai and 800.00 a month. Not worried severely on oci cost. I like using top tier products when I can. Got a 350,000.00 house and people whine over 70.00 a gallon for Sherwin Williams paint?Paint is cheap insurance on protection. The only time I will for sure go back to Redline 0w20 is visit my aunt and uncle in Alberta or Alaska. Cant second guess or cut corners in -40 or less.

Have a 250K house don't whine with $25. gallon Lowes paint, don;t worry about cost on an OCI on any of my vehicles, Pennz Platinum and WIX/NAPA are my Top choice, no second guessing or cutting corners, don't buy into all the boutique oil BS and could care less what somebody else says.
cheers3.gif

You guys kill me. Next thing you will want KFC to divulge its secret recipe on its finger lickin' good fried chicken or Dr. Pepper to fess up to the ingredients for its magic elixer.

Originally Posted by sloinker
You guys kill me. Next thing you will want KFC to divulge its secret recipe on its finger lickin' good fried chicken or Dr. Pepper to fess up to the ingredients for its magic elixer.

There's a reason I haven't eaten KFC nor drank Dr. Pepper in years.

It has nothing to do with transparency. I just think they both taste like [censored].
smile.gif

I looked at a bottle of Royal Purple at Walmart yesterday and noticed it's no longer made in Porter,Texas and the bottles are no longer made in Schulenburg,Texas. It was truly a "mom and pop" boutique oil before the corp sellout. I don't understand why the 5 quart jugs aren't $20 at Walmart. The individual quarts are the same price as Edge,M1,etc. So why are the 5 quart jugs $40? If it was the same price as the other 5 quart jugs I would try it.

Pretty sure regular API certified RP does NOT have Synerlec. I've used RP HPS in the past which did have it and it was great.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Pretty sure regular API certified RP does NOT have Synerlec. I've used RP HPS in the past which did have it and it was great.

I used the old Synerlec oils years ago and loved them. I think I still have a half quart of SJ rated RP 20W50 around here somewhere.

Originally Posted by burla
definition

Would you buy a "boutique" oil based on marketing alone without any Laymans description of what makes it specialzed? Especially when you compare the cSt to the hths and it appears to not look specialzed at all? If your senerlac looks like generilac wouldn't it be more prudent to buy a real specialized fluid or save your money and buy a generic oil? I see guys with thousands of posts using buzz terms like this brand oil has the strongest base oils I ever seen, and of course it is ridiculous when you actually LOOK at the stat sheet and compare cSt and hths. Those oils are actually "weak" not "strong". Why are these terms being used, when a guy with 10,000 posts says something is strong without pointing to a stat sheet that would prove or disprove their point. If you used cSt and hths as a guide, how many oils would actually make a true specialized oil?

I would rather buy a boutique oil that gives you important relevant information about the oil such as HTHS value, than something like Rotella T6 that hides HTHS value from consumers because it is so bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker

What OVERKILL is referring to is that RP USED to have a product data sheet online that had all of their premium products lined up next to each other.

THAT sheet was no more proprietary than the sheets the Supertech hand out (actually the Supertech data sheets are WAY more comprehensive).

Per RP's own data sheet, the only oil that looked remotely "premium" was the 0W40, the balance looked pretty mediocre....then they stopped publishing that, and hide the datasheets behind walls on their website.

Nobody is asking for them to divulge trade secrets...just stop hiding the data that they used to provide, but they didn't like critiscism of...want to add gear oil additives to your engine oil, then fool schmucks with gear oil tests and tell them that's a sign of superiority...have at it, and I hope that the schmucks are happy with their wise investment...

Lots of HD truck owners at work. ... It can be tough to watch - one has a PSD (past warranty) and swears by the RP stuff. I keep telling him that the HDEO sector is the last place I'd consider really expensive oil ... Just look around at the heavy duty stuff done by Delo, Delvac, and Rotella ... and the first two are now around 10-11 on NOACK ... plenty of HTHS and TBN ... Half to one third of what he's paying ...
Another one has a newer PSD using Delvac 1 (does not care what Ford thinks, and has the dealer put it in) ... at least with him I can alert to big sales and he buys a years supply when those come up ... It is around 2/3 the cost of RP ...
(IMO, Delvac 1 is easily a match for RP) ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back