decide-Cooper Lifeliners or Komho Solus KH16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im about to replace my tries on my 2005 Hyundai
ELantra GLS. I have the very popular Michelin
MXV4 plus as the OEM tire with 21,000 miles.
Although they are wearing totally even, they seem
to be a mediocore tire, at best!

So, im trying to decide between the Cooper Lifeliner
SLE or the Komho Solus KH16. Which of these tires
will combine the smoothest, quiet ride along with
long treadwear??

Have no experience with Cooper. Put those exact Kumho's on our second hand Avalon. HUGE improvement over the no name junk that was on there. Been on for about 5,000 miles and I can tell the front tires are worn down noticeably - nothing that worries me, but they appear to be a tire that one needs to be on the spot with rotations.

I was worried about putting such a inexpensive tire on a car, but after reading positive review after positive review on Tire Rack, gave 'em a try. So far, they seem to be just as advertised -- maybe not quite as good as some 'top tier' brands and models but darn close at half the price (or a third). Appear to be a fine grand touring tire, I wouldn't try to win any slaloms.

Perhaps out of date, but I once made the mistake of buying a set of made by Cooper. Turned out to be what Coopers noted for, long wearing, but harsh ride and poor traction. Several times I thought those tires would last me the rest of my life.

Lots of good comments here on Kumhos here, but I am happy with the American made Kellys I got for about the same price. Big upgrade fron the Goodyears that came on my Cavalier.

quote:

Originally posted by flinter:
Im about to replace my tries on my 2005 Hyundai
ELantra GLS. I have the very popular Michelin
MXV4 plus as the OEM tire with 21,000 miles.
Although they are wearing totally even, they seem
to be a mediocore tire, at best!

So, im trying to decide between the Cooper Lifeliner
SLE or the Komho Solus KH16. Which of these tires
will combine the smoothest, quiet ride along with
long treadwear??

Have you checked out the Goodyear "with" ResponsEdge, which Goodyear has specifically targeted as a replacement tire for the very popular (as OEM) Michelin Pilot HX MXM4?

The first question, however, is the relationship (ratio) between snow days and wet-pavement days where you live and drive. Every "all season" tire -- no exceptions -- buys its light-snow traction capability at the expense of wet braking capability. If (as we do here) you get 150 days per year of wet pavement where you live, and only three days of snow on the pavement, the trade-off is not a good deal.

I had those exact Cooper's on a 1999 Cavalier Z24. I really liked the tires- they were so much better in bad weather than the stock Goodyear Eagles.

flinter,
If you have a PepBoys in your area, they cary versions of the Cooper Lifeliner tires under the Futura or Definity brand name which is exclusive to PB's. In my area, PB's also carries the Kuhmo Solus KH16 in certain sizes. Although I haven't tried Kuhmo tires yet, I have used many versions of Cooper tires over the years and have only been mildly satisfied with them. My father-in-law has been using from PepBoys, the Futura Touring SE(now called DEFINITY EX600) tires for several replacements lately and has been quite satisfied. The Futura Touring tires are available in SE, HR and VR ratings. If your Elantra is using 195-60-15 then the Futura Touring HR tires are available for about $54.00 each + installation, balancing and valvestems. PepBoys also carries Hankook Optimo PlusII H rated(another Korean tire company) for $62.00 each +. I don't know the price on the Kuhmo Solus KH16 or if it is available in your size. Check out PepBoys if there is one in your area.

Cooper made my Avon M550s and theyre one of the best sets of tires Ive ever owned. Not only are they quiet and smooth, theyre quiet and smooth even at 120mph. I enjoy them very much, very great rain traction. If cooper tires are just as good, I'd buy a set in a heartbeat.

I've liked the Coopers I've owned, so I'd lean toward them. Do they make the Cobras in your size? The Cobras have a much better tread pattern than either of those tires for rain and snow, and I found them to be good all-season tires even up here. Those Kumhos look like they'd be very scary in snow, if that's a factor for you.

rpn453

I never knew anyone who could tell how a tire would perform in the snow just by looking at them. How long does it take to acquire that skill?

Flinter

I don't know anything about Cooper tires, but I'm on my second set of Kumhos now and I absolutely love these tires. I don't think they can be touched by another brand considering their low price.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
rpn453

I never knew anyone who could tell how a tire would perform in the snow just by looking at them. How long does it take to acquire that skill?

If I show a person a tread that meets snow tire specifications and a summer tire that isn't even rated M+S, and they can't tell which is more suitable for snow, then I can only assume that they've either never seen the invention known as a wheel or never seen snow. The tread pattern of all-season tires can be anywhere between a pure winter and a pure summer tire, and it's not that hard to determine which side it leans toward by looking at it.

Things like groove depth, groove orientation, groove width, siping, surface area, and the ratio of groove width to tread block size are key elements to snow performance. You need good edges and gaps to allow the tire to dig. Obviously, rubber compound will become increasing important if the snow is shallow enough to reach the base surface, or if the tire can dig down to the base surface, or as the snow packs down and approaches being ice. That, you certainly can't see by looking.

Come up for a drive through the Rockies in February with those Kumhos and see how it goes!

[ September 02, 2006, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

I have a used beater pair of Coopers on the front of my car as summer smokers. Grip and ride was MUCH better than I expected, but they are dry-rotted and falling apart. They don't seem like top-quality and probally there are better choices.

I have the Cooper Lifeliner Classic II, a related tire, on our Odyssey. They do well enough, they're pretty quiet and have decent traction. From past tire experience I'd rate them average. No idea about treadlife though, we've only had the car since May and the dealer installed them new when we bought it. We're going with dedicated snow tires so I have no idea about their snow traction.

I used to have a set of Dunlop Sport A2's on our old Corolla, those were great all-seasons that don't cost too much. They're a 'high performance' rated tire so they give up some treadlife in favor of traction, a tradeoff well worth it in my book.

I have the upgraded Dunlop Sport A2 Plus on our '02 Accord. They are good tires - good grip. However, there are quieter tires out there, as flinter said that was a big goal in a new tire (not performance). In any case, I think the Dunlops are a good value. I did consider the Kumho Solus KH16 tire but purchased the Dunlop tires instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back