Nexen CP672 vs. Michelin Primacy MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
If you're going to trade it in soon, get the cheaper tires. Otherwise, get the MXV4's.

+ I've got the MXVs on my wife's 07 Camry and my Volvo S60. They ride great, they're quiet, they handle well and wear well, especially for an H-rated tire. The tires on the S60 have 40K and still show 8/32 of tread. I'm a pretty conservative driver, but still, 8/32 after 40K?

I'll be interested in how the MXV4's do for ya (OP). Was looking at the MXV4 for my wifes crossover thinking the Michelin's (most) have a high satisfaction rate and usually excell in ride comfort, longevity and low noise. I don't need to do anything just yet on her tires. The guy at Discount was really talking up a newer Pirelli over the Michelins and they were quite a bit less, maybe $300 or so. They are new enough that I've seen no user reports on them. **Just looked them up - Pirelli Scorpion Verde fyi ...

I just put Pirelli P-4's on my sons car and think those will work out well on his Suzuki Aerio as a good A/S.

I have the Conti DWS extremes on the rear of my G-coupe (2-door rwd)and feel the agressive looking tread for all season and high ratings on tirerack surveys are what put me over the top for choosing those. I'm not sure the MXV4 is apples to apples for all season traction with the DWS but not everyone wants or needs a strong winter tire. Colorado in a rwd drive sport coupe demands a bit more of the a/s tires for sure.

Originally Posted By: bachman
I'll be interested in how the MXV4's do for ya (OP). Was looking at the MXV4 for my wifes crossover thinking the Michelin's (most) have a high satisfaction rate and usually excell in ride comfort, longevity and low noise. I don't need to do anything just yet on her tires. The guy at Discount was really talking up a newer Pirelli over the Michelins and they were quite a bit less, maybe $300 or so. They are new enough that I've seen no user reports on them. **Just looked them up - Pirelli Scorpion Verde fyi ...

I just put Pirelli P-4's on my sons car and think those will work out well on his Suzuki Aerio as a good A/S.

I have the Conti DWS extremes on the rear of my G-coupe (2-door rwd)and feel the agressive looking tread for all season and high ratings on tirerack surveys are what put me over the top for choosing those. I'm not sure the MXV4 is apples to apples for all season traction with the DWS but not everyone wants or needs a strong winter tire. Colorado in a rwd drive sport coupe demands a bit more of the a/s tires for sure.

The Michelins went on yesterday and I have only driven 30 or so miles on them so far. They are noticeably quieter and smoother than the old tires, but that is to be expected. The ride is also better. They seem to absorb road imperfections better than the Kumhos did when new.

The dealer used a ton of bead sealer or some kind of white grease that is all over the tire sidewall and wheels, so I need to go out and rinse that off.

I was surprised how much weight was needed to balance a couple of the new tires. Not sure if that is the fault of the tires or how the OEM alloys are manufactured. I am going to be better about having these tires balanced every 12 months.

The old Kumhos had 31,000 miles on them and were still running with the factory balance. However, they were noticeably out of balance (thumping at low speeds and vibrating at highway speeds.) None of that now with the new tires.

The Michelins will see 300-400 miles over the next week which will be a good test for them. As far as winter goes, as long as they can help me get home in a few inches of snow that will work for me.

A co-worker has Conti DWS Extremes on his G-coupe as well. A very popular tire. A lot of '11+ Sonata owners with the 18" wheels are switching to them as well.

So any updates again on your primacy mxv4? I'm also getting new tires for my civic and my top 2 choice are the primacy mxv4 and conti dws.. the people at discount tire said that the primacy mxv4 is the best all season...

Would getting the primacy mxv4 over the DWS a good choice? I hope wouldn't regret not getting the DWS.. I hope the primacy mxv4 snow traction would be pretty good since we get light snow here during winter..I'm planning on picking up the primacy mxv4 in the next few weeeks.. waiting for the $70 mail in rebate from michelin to kick in before i purchase the tires

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Would getting the primacy mxv4 over the DWS a good choice?

One thing to consider is what kind of ride/feel you're looking for. The Primacy MXV4 is a Grand Touring All Season tire and will likely be a bit more smooth. The ExtremeContact DWS is an Ultra High Performance All Season and my ride a bit firmer.

So any updates again on your primacy mxv4? I'm also getting new tires for my civic and my top 2 choice are the primacy mxv4 and conti dws.. the people at discount tire said that the primacy mxv4 is the best all season...

Would getting the primacy mxv4 over the DWS a good choice? I hope wouldn't regret not getting the DWS.. I hope the primacy mxv4 snow traction would be pretty good since we get light snow here during winter..I'm planning on picking up the primacy mxv4 in the next few weeeks.. waiting for the $70 mail in rebate from michelin to kick in before i purchase the tires

400 miles now on the Michelins and really like them. Haven't driven in rain yet, but from what I understand it takes 1,000 miles or so for new tires to get broken in. So not having to deal with rain yet is probably good.

Cornering is not quite as sharp as the previous Kumhos, but I have no issue with that as I am willing to take a slightly softer/quieter ride in exchange for cornering.

Low speed steering (parking lots, around town) is much lighter. Noticed that right away when pulling away from the dealer.

These Michelins have a very distinct noise when going over tar strips or expansion joints at highway speeds. Similar to the ringing noise a basketball makes when you bounce it or slap it. I run the tires at 35psi, so it isn't as though they are over-inflated. Must be a characteristic of the tire.

If you frequently encounter, and frequently drive in, snow during the winter months the DWS would probably be a better choice than the Primacy.

Tire Rack is currently showing the $70 rebate on the Michelins 8/9/12-9/3/12.

I just decided to get the Conti DWS instead of the primacy mxv4
laugh.gif
Hopefully the DWS will perform pretty good and the noise shouldn't be that bad
laugh.gif

Good choice! The DWS are becoming more and more popular. Had they been available for my car I might have chosen them over the Michelins too.

Be sure to let us know how you like them
grin.gif

I just decided to get the Conti DWS instead of the primacy mxv4 . . .

We currently have both of these and they are VERY different tires: a TOTL luxury GT vs. a mainstream priced less aggressive UHP.

The DWS is less comfortable and quiet than the MXV4 and won't last nearly as long.

But you're buying a higher level of all-around performance and slightly better light snow performance with the DWS.

They're both very good tires. They just excel at very different things.

That Conti does look interesting. But the DWS is pretty comfortable as UHP tires go. It's no MXV4 as far as buttery smooth comfort, but it's not PS A/S stiff either.

Michelin's top tier A/S tires (the MXV4 and PS A/S+) are long overdue for a redesign. What's amazing is that they are still near best-in-class despite their age. I can only imagine what the new Michelins will be like when they finally show up.

That's no consolation for those of us that need new tires NOW. Our last two new sets of tires (both this summer) were not Michelin (RE970 and DWS), which is very unusual for us.

Sure!
laugh.gif
Hopefully the DWS would last me at least 50k km.. That should be pretty good imo! Also hopefully it will perform very good at light snow
laugh.gif
I think this will be my first time running a UHP all season tires!
laugh.gif

I hope the noise on the DWS is gonna be not too loud! but im hoping the noise is still gonna be better than my oem good year RSA haha

Those PureContact DWS seems to be a good tire!
frown.gif
I guess ill just have fun with my UHP DWS and maybe get those purecontact dws down the road
laugh.gif

Last edited:
eww RSA's Those arent tires ...
smile.gif

My stepmom got the dws on her G6 I've driven it a couple times its one of the best all season tires in the winter.. and not too harsh like some UHP tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back