Michelin (Energy and/or Primacy) MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to put the Energy on just about everything, now only showing limited sizing and high prices. Between the two I would go for the Primacy.

We had the Energy MXV4 on out Jetta and when new it handled very good and was quiet. After about 15-20K, tread was half gone and snow traction fell off the chart. Replaced with some Yokohama TRZ and was equally happy at half the price.

From what I can tell, the Energy MXV4 Plus and Energy MXV4 S8 are OE tires with lower mileage warranties (40K and 50K respectively) and a more limited selection of sizes (4 and 10 respectively). The Primacy MXV4 has a 60K warranty and available in 36 sizes. The tread pattern across the three varies slightly. It is confusing how these all have MXV4 in their name.

When the factory Bridgestone Dueller tires on our Saturn VUE had to be replaced at 36K miles, I put on a set of Primacy MXV4 (235/60-17 size) and have been very, very happy with them. They were #1 on TireRack's survey of Grand Touring All Season tires and are currently #2 behind the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. They're on the short list for when my Nissan needs new rubber.

I think MXV4 Energy are a lower rolling resistance tire than the MXV4 Primacy. So the Energy probably gives up everything to the Primacy to maybe save 1 mpg or so.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What about mxm4? I think they were rated really high.

The Primacy MXM4 is rated very high. #3 on TireRack's Grand Touring All Season list. It appears to only be available in lower-profile sizes, 55 and less.

The Pilot XM MXM4 does not get good reviews.

Primacy MXV4: good tire, I'm very happy with mine.

Energy MXV4: OEM style meh.

Primacy MXM4: sportier version of MXV4. Slightly lower treadlife.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Thinking of buying a set of Michelin MXV4 tires.

What vehicle are you putting them on?

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Thinking of buying a set of Michelin MXV4 tires.

What vehicle are you putting them on?

Thats always good to know.

IMO I'd skip the energy series unless its the energy saver a/s

If you want snow traction get the primacy mxv4

if you want less snow traction but more dry/wet performance go for the primacy mxm4

Aren't these OEM on a lot of cars? I think the Energy's came stock on our 09 Odyssey and the tread just evaporated.

The Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus is an older tire design that's mostly used only as OEM tires today, and not very often even then. The only reason I'm guessing they keep these tires around is due to OEM contract requirements. The Energy MXV4 S8 is a newer design, and one I rather like for a passenger car, but again, it's really only an OEM tire, not often shopped in the aftermarket.

The Primacy MXV4 initially didn't have any OEM fitments, but you're starting to see some use by OEMs. Honda in particular uses this tire in at least two sizes, the 235/65R17 is used on the new Odyssey and the 235/60R18 is used on the new Pilot. Michelin has said that it intends for the Primacy MXV4 to replace the Energy MXV4 Plus and Energy MXV4 S8.

The Primacy MXM4 is, as others have noted, a newer high performance tire that is generally available only in lower profile and larger diameter sizes.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Aren't these OEM on a lot of cars? I think the Energy's came stock on our 09 Odyssey and the tread just evaporated.

The Energy LX4 came stock on your Odyssey. It's yet another variant of the Energy line, though in lower speed ratings than the Energy MXV4 Plus, Energy MXV4 S8, and Primacy MXV4 are typically available in.

It's critical, in my opinion, to identify exactly the tire model because there are so many variants out there, and some behave quite differently from others...usually based on the specifications in that OEM contract. In this case, Honda apparently specified a smooth riding and fuel efficient tire, and tossed treadwear to the wind.

AH gotcha. It left a bad taste for Michelin in my mouth. I'm curious how the Michelins on my Si are going to play out.

if they are oem probably mediocre...

if they are something you picked with good reviews.. excellent.

which tires were oem on the SI?

Last edited:
The SI probably has the Pilot HX MXM4. Another OEM-spec tire, though better than the Energy LX4. My personal opinion is that the Energy LX4 is the worst tire in Michelin's current lineup. The HX MXM4, while not a long-lived tire, should provide decent performance, especially in a southern state with no snow.

Yep, that's what I have! I may go with the General GMax or the Yokohoma Avid EnVigors when I replace. I have a TireRack warehouse in town so the sky is the limit but I'm a tightwad anyway,lol. The Yokos did great on my Fit and I've had good luck with Generals. I've got General Altimax on my Odyssey and had them on my Fit when I traded. But the ALtimax's were too squishy on the Fit so no way I want them on an Si.

They came OEM on my CTS (Energy I think they said) and I hated them. Could not wait to get rid of them.

Not sure if that was due to an OEM spec on those tires that made me hate them...so maybe the one's at the retail level are better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
They came OEM on my CTS (Energy I think they said) and I hated them. Could not wait to get rid of them.

Not sure if that was due to an OEM spec on those tires that made me hate them...so maybe the one's at the retail level are better.

If it's the exact same model name and size, it'd likely be the same tire. Unless Michelin has an OEM part number for those sold to Cadillac and a different part number for those sold to Michelin dealers. This is not common anymore, but you sometimes used to see it.

In your case (and Brian's case), the blame really goes to Cadillac (and Honda for Brian) for the tire requirements. OEM tires are often a coin toss, even from the same company. For example, the Michelin Cross Terrain is OEM on our Acura and I really like them. This is the third set that's been on this MDX and every set has been excellent. Folks on MDX forums routinely recommend the OEM Cross Terrain as one of the best options for this car. But the OEM tires on the CR-V are junk and I don't know ANYONE who puts the OEM tires back on. And the Cross Terrains that were on our CR-V when we bought it, just one size down from the MDX's tires and OEM on the Ford Escape, were pretty lousy tires...few Escape owners liked them.

It all comes down to the requirements in that contract and who can make the best tire that meets those requirements at the agreed cost.

What sucked on both my 02 CR-V and the 09 Fit was the fact that the OEM Bridgestones were among the only tires available in their respective sizes at the time. Thankfully on the FIt, at least, you could go w/ slightly different tire with no gain or loss in wheel diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back