Debate over Oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!!

Over at my car specific forum we are debating about the oil level in our cars.
2012 Hyundai Accents

The manual calls for 3.49 qts with Oil/filter change. But we are all getting at the full mark with about 3 qts. Some say the dip stick is wrong and others say it's hidden oil in the engine that may no be draining. Do you have any thoughts here? We just don't want to over fill the engine and create foam etc but if the dipstick is wrong we would want to know that as well.
Here is a link to the post so you can catch up.
Thanks!!
Hyundai-Forums

As the manual directs you. But i'd say some is not draining. Try a quick drain interval to see if you get dirty oil in 30 mins of driving (should all mix together).

Can't go wrong if something fails.

Last edited:
If you were to have your oil changed at a Hyundai dealer, would they go by the dipstick or would they just put in 3.5 quarts and therefore have it shown as above MAX on the dipstick?

If I had to guess, the 3.5qt amount is the dry fill, but since not all of it drains during an oil change, that's why less is required to bring it back to max.

My questions would be:

How far over the fill line are you with the 3.49 quarts?

After starting the car which would fill the filter how far over are you with 3.49 quarts?

I'm sure it's possible to get something that looks like full on the dipstick with less than the full amount of oil. I'd rather error on the other side, get as much in there as possible without risking any sort of foaming or seal leakage. Realistically those probably aren't a significant factor slightly overfilled. But especially on such a small sump and a car generally driven by non-enthusiasts for long oil change intervals I'd error on the side of too much, not too little.

I thought that the dipstick has the final say in the level. But i guess the dipstick would be wrong if manufacturing made it so.

I also dont think you can remove all the oil in the engine with just the drain plug. Comparing dipstick length with another car might give you some insight.

With the recommended 3.5 qt fill on a 2012 Veloster, the dipstick will show about a 1/4 inch overfill after a long DIY drain. After a dealer OC, the dipstick indicated an overfill of 1/2 inch. I complained and the service manager stated in an email reply that 3.7 quarts was put in the engine (note: why admit to an overfill?). However, he assured me that the overfill would not be a problem but offered to drain the excess if requested.

For DIYers performing OCs on the Veloster, it is important to insure that the rear of the car is slightly elevated to insure a proper drain since the sump drains to the front.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark

With the recommended 3.5 qt fill on a 2012 Veloster, the dipstick will show about a 1/4 inch overfill after a long DIY drain. After a dealer OC, the dipstick indicated an overfill of 1/2 inch. I complained and the service manager stated in an email reply that 3.7 quarts was put in the engine (note: why admit to an overfill?). However, he assured me that the overfill would not be a problem but offered to drain the excess if requested.

For DIYers performing OCs on the Veloster, it is important to insure that the rear of the car is slightly elevated to insure a proper drain since the sump drains to the front.

Those morons put the drain plug facing the front of the car?!?!
33.gif
Idiots!

So not only do you have to jack the front up in order to get under the car to reach the drain bolt and filter, you also have to raise the rear end higher then the front so all the oil drains out properly? What in the world were they thinking?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Datarock
Hi Everyone!!

2012 Hyundai Accents

The manual calls for 3.49 qts with Oil/filter change. But we are all getting at the full mark with about 3 qts. Some say the dip stick is wrong and others say it's hidden oil in the engine that may no be draining. Do you have any thoughts here? We just don't want to over fill the engine and create foam etc but if the dipstick is wrong we would want to know that as well.
Thanks!!
Hyundai-Forums

This is something to write / call the main Hyundai corporate office and ask them about the proper oil fill level. The dipstick could be wrong. The manual could be wrong.

Dealerships usually down pull the dipstick to check the oil level. They'll put in 3.5 quarts by the book and consider it done because in reality, it should be full and ready to go.

Let us know how it goes.

Why not contact Hyundai and explain the situation and see what they say?

Hi Everyone!!

2012 Hyundai Accents

Thanks!!
Hyundai-Forums

Hi Everyone!!

2012 Hyundai Accents

Thanks!!
Hyundai-Forums

I can't help wondering who came up with 3.49 qts? Does anyone on the entire planet think that the extra 1/100 of a quart to make it 3.50 qts would matter?

I'm always suprised how many responses I see on BITOG that say: What does the dealer do? What does the manual call for?

I guess a lot of people put a lot of trust in others. I think the manual is to protect the uninformed motorist. But there are lots of things to improve, usually by using your brain or by servicing the car more often than "the book" indicates. Why anyone would follow an idiot oil reminder light to 9000 miles with conventional oil is beyond me....and I think "but the OLM said it was still good" is not a valid excuse.

And as far as dealers go, they can be just as bad as a Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm always suprised how many responses I see on BITOG that say: What does the dealer do? What does the manual call for?

If this was directed at me, I asked what the dealer does. I did not tell him to follow it. Something is obviously wrong (either the amount in the manual or the dipstick design).

In this case, if you don't contact the manufacturer (who wrote the manual and designed the dipstick), you will not solve this. Only the manufacturer can determine which one is wrong: the quantity in the manual or the dipstick design, or both.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Add 3.25 quarts (split the difference). Problem solved

Actually that should be 3.245 qt
wink.gif
to be half of the 3.49...

If the drain is on the front of the pan, it likely isn't going to make a great difference at the dealer or quick lube as the vehicle would be level... DIYS, up on ramps, yes it's going to make a noticeable difference...

A little generalization for fun:

On most cars, the published refill capacity reads at about half way between the full and add marks. It's generally considered just fine to drive around while a quart low. There seems to be a discrepancy between the dipstick reading and the published specification for refill on this car.

So assuming:
-that the dipstick is correct and 2.5 qt. is the correct refill capacity
-due to the 1.0 qt. difference between published spec. and dipstick reading we can infer that 1.5 qt. is close enough
-it's generally considered okay to run 1.0 qt low for a while, which would bring you down to 0.5 qt.
-if you replace the filter only every other oil change, you can use 0.5 qt. less oil for refill

I think we can surmise that it's perfectly okay to refill with 0.5 qt of oil after an oil and filter change and that if the filter isn't replace it's perfectly okay to just drain the oil and add 0.0 qt. refill.

Be sure to check the oil level every time you refill the fuel fank and add a quart if it reads low.

This is an old debate, but I will weigh in. Your manual specs and capacities are ,as stated before, is dry fill capacity. Every manual I have ever had showed capacities for all liquids, yet if we are caught up in what the manual says, it you will read the part where it says how to check your oil, it will say use the dipstick to check the oil level and add (or not) accordingly. At least that what mine says (Ford F150 if your curious). Not trying to be be a butthead, but this debate frustrates me. The dipstick is for checking oil level under all circumstances, random check, fresh fill etc. Am 43 yrs old, have driven well over a million miles in the last 10 yrs alone, have never used anything but the dipstick (as intended) and never had any issue whatsoever. I think we are over thinking this just a wee bit...remember, no butthead here, just rational thinking....see , smiley face
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back