Death of the Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

There's a lot to like about the dual-squish, dual-plug Chrysler Hemi combustion chamber, and I don't get hung up on worrying about whether the surface of the combustion chamber is really a section of a sphere or a collection of conic sections, revolved surfaces, planes, and fillets. It is the squish pads, dual plugs, and the direction of air flow out of the intake ports that contributes to fast combustion. That is the ultimate goal that makes possible complete combustion, low emissions, and high power output.

Yes, agreed, though as I mentioned, I think camshaft profile may be more of a compromise with this design than it is with a wedge. I may be wrong, but that's based on historical development behaviours with the design, so it is more of an "educated guess" than anything
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I think the GM LS3 has a larger intake valve than the 6.4 Hemi. 2.165 vs 2.13, the last time I checked. But GM has a smaller exhaust valve, which they compensate for by putting longer duration on the exhaust lobes. When GM designed the DI Gen V LT1, they actually decreased the intake valve size to 2.125. The Gen V head also has canted valves, whereas the Gen III and IV don't. GM had to make more room in the chamber to put in the injector, and move the spark plug closer to the center of the chamber to get into the spray zone of the injector. The LS3 head actually flows better than the Gen V LT1, and the LT1 only makes more power because it has a longer duration cam, and higher compression ratio.

If it came down to an ultimate HP contest, I think the Hemi could be built to beat the LSx.

Great info about the newer gen LSx stuff
thumbsup2.gif
You are right, the LS3 heads have 2.165 intake valves and 1.59 exhaust, the 6.1L had 2.08/1.65's and the 6.4L has 2.14/1.65's (for the big bore HEMI's).

I believe you are likely correct, that a full-out HEMI could best an LSx, probably awful anecdote but look at Mountain Motor and what dominates there.

IMO the three Hemis are very distinct as far as personality.

The newer 5.7 and 6.4 are ridiculously flexible and have mountains of torque from idle up. Extremely smooth, very quiet stock, and very easy to like their gas mileage. I've had a ton of trucks and no V8 comes close to the 395 hp Hemi in our RAM for mileage versus go power!

The 6.1 is a very different beast. Torque peak at 4400 rpm is unusual for a bigger V8, and a wild hp peak at 6200 rpm. It really lights up like an older generation V8 with a cam would. Still has tons of torque down low but that wild free revving personality is what keeps me coming back for more even after all these years. Absolutely the smoothest running stock engine I have ever had the pleasure of driving, not much for mileage but mine has a 17.5 mpg average across it's lifetime including every gallon purchased. And that is without ANY fuel saving tech (MDS) at all.

Not too bad. As for the very few unhappy owners those are pure outliers, the Hemi is among the most reliable V8's still in production.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
IMO the three Hemis are very distinct as far as personality.

The newer 5.7 and 6.4 are ridiculously flexible and have mountains of torque from idle up. Extremely smooth, very quiet stock, and very easy to like their gas mileage. I've had a ton of trucks and no V8 comes close to the 395 hp Hemi in our RAM for mileage versus go power!

The 6.1 is a very different beast. Torque peak at 4400 rpm is unusual for a bigger V8, and a wild hp peak at 6200 rpm. It really lights up like an older generation V8 with a cam would. Still has tons of torque down low but that wild free revving personality is what keeps me coming back for more even after all these years. Absolutely the smoothest running stock engine I have ever had the pleasure of driving, not much for mileage but mine has a 17.5 mpg average across it's lifetime including every gallon purchased. And that is without ANY fuel saving tech (MDS) at all.

Not too bad. As for the very few unhappy owners those are pure outliers, the Hemi is among the most reliable V8's still in production.

Not sure if you Would call people with problematic hemis as "pure" outliers, but I would have to say they are on average as reliable as anything else give or take.

I definitely had issues with the engine as well as the gearbox, but overall it was other things that led me to trade it.

If I lived in Florida (not horrible in snow, but not exactly all that good) and had the ability to take it to the track to truly appreciate it without braking multiple laws at once, it would probably still be in my garage.

I am admittedly a dope when it comes to fast cars... I got better with age (42) but still too crazy.

Hooray for an Italian company building an "American" car in Canada with a Canadian body, Mexican engine and Mexican transmission. Not many jobs there for us sadly. Same goes for Ford (although I do think the Coyote is still built in the U.S.).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Actually, the ZF 8-speed is made in Kokomo, Indiana.

That is good to hear! I have heard great things about the ZF. The manual trans was Viva la mehico.

I still wouldn't get one though considering there is a 6 speed manual option. They are supposed to be faster, but I would rather be a little slower and row my own
smile.gif

The automatic came with the MDS, the manual did not thankfully, but they did hit me with the $1000 gaz guzzler tax and fitted the gearbox with the horrible skip shift solenoid. First thing I did was buy the skip shift eliminator.... nothing like trying to go into 2nd and being forced into 4th @ 20 mph
smirk.gif

Anybody notice that the lady on the assembly line (at ~ 4:00) isn't wearing safety glasses?
Taken off for the photo op, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back