2025 Ram 1500

This has some good styling & I think the 6 cylinder fits with what is desired by the buyers along with fuel efficiency requirements. The wild payload claims are probably a stripped down regular cab though.

Here’s a thing. if they are ditching the v8, a shorter v6 would allow them to shorten the hood while lengthening the bed without affecting the wheelbase. while I didn’t check the ram numbers, another 6” in the bed would be an attractive direction for me.

my 2 cents I owned the 3.2 pentastar in a 2017 cherokee and the 2.0 hurricane in a 2019 cherokee.
the 2.0 was better in every way imo.

This writing has been on the wall for a few years though.
@meep
Here’s a thing. if they are ditching the v8, a shorter v6
Its an I-6

Last edited:
Here’s a thing. if they are ditching the v8, a shorter v6 would allow them to shorten the hood while lengthening the bed without affecting the wheelbase. while I didn’t check the ram numbers, another 6” in the bed would be an attractive direction for me.

The bulk of the Rams will be sold with the hurricane engines, two variants, a standard output (420 hp) and a high output (540 hp). These are both an inline 6, there is no room to shorten that hood at all.

I’ll hold my outlier status.

I think it’s a good move. Can’t argue with results, if these new Hurricane engines are worth their salt, the Hemi will become a distant memory. It’s pretty impressive what they’re getting out of 181ish cubic inches.
Out with the slanted six in with the v8, out with the v8 in with the unslanted six.

The bulk of the Rams will be sold with the hurricane engines, two variants, a standard output (420 hp) and a high output (540 hp). These are both an inline 6, there is no room to shorten that hood at all.
Exactly. The straight 6 is long. A *v*6 would allow them to shorten the nose.

I'm not saying necessarily that I agree with this:

But I was also wondering why the generator part had to be a fairly large V6 engine.

Well, the batteries are going to require a good chunk of power to recharge then add the fact the generator needs to be reliable in the sense of longevity. Why would they want to put a dinky little gas charger that didn't do much? That would irritate a lot of folks. The bigger gen makes perfect sense to not only fix the prior "Range anxiety" of a lot of folks but to repower batteries from towing a hefty load which they are now claiming 14k lbs. I know some of it seems like an oxymoron but it's there for a purpose and he may not agree with that premise. Also, I'm not sure if the generator allows optional use but if it does then wouldn't you want that tool with you at all times "Just in case" it's needed? These vehicles are part of a bigger evolution of electric revolution in the vehicle segment. I'm sure it will not always be this way as demand & tech increases.

But I was also wondering why the generator part had to be a fairly large V6 engine.
There's a few reason I can see them picking a the Pentastar over their smaller 2.0T engine.
  • First is probably cost, the Pentastar is probably cheaper for them to manufacture then the 2.0T.
  • Second could be packaging, with the turbo you need extra packaging space up front for the intercooler and the thermal management that comes along with turbo engines.
  • Third would probably be fuel economy and emissions, I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in BSFC between the 3.6L and 2.0T isn't enough to justify putting the smaller engine in when used in a generator application. Then for emissions, I would guess the 3.6L has better controlled emissions upon cold start with a quick ramp up in load. Like the 2.0T would require more calibration effort to control NOx, Particulate Matter, and Hydrocarbon emission then the 3.6L does.

I'm not saying necessarily that I agree with this:

I mean, he's literally describing every PHEV and hybrid out there in this rant, including the Prius, X5 XDrive 45e/50e...etc, so I'm not sure what his point is TBH. "Oh noes, it has both the EV and gasoline powertrain components, bleghargh!!!!!!!" isn't really the winning argument he seems to think it is.

I mean, he's literally describing every PHEV and hybrid out there in this rant, including the Prius, X5 XDrive 45e/50e...etc, so I'm not sure what his point is TBH. "Oh noes, it has both the EV and gasoline powertrain components, bleghargh!!!!!!!" isn't really the winning argument he seems to think it is.
I probably should have uploaded this along with that video:
old_man_yells_at_cloud.jpg

UTG should be treated like project farm, entertainment value only. This is the guy that says the hemi doesn't lubricate the lifters because the oil just falls off before it reaches the needle bearings.

Back