Dealership.....I just can't win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I changed the oil and filter in my 4.6 ltr F150. Chevron Supreme %w-30 and Supertech ST2 filter. Plan was go 5,000 miles then send in for the Dyson analysis.

Well yesterday I dropped it off at the Ford dealer for the scheduled 30,000 mile service with explicit instructions (in writing and verbal) NOT to touch the oil or filter. For some reason they felt the need to add one quart of their bulk Motorcraft 5w-20. They didn't tell me this but I saw it on the receipt. I checked the oil and sure enough it was way overfilled now. A good 3/4 to whole quart too much. So much for a Chevron only analysis.

I called and went back today and asked them to drain and refill with my oil and filter (this time used Hastings LF-110. They did as requested and when I complained about the cost of two oil changes with my supplies they gave me a $50.00 credit coupon toward any future service.

All in all it ended up just fine but it was just frustrating that they not only ignored my instructions but that they would overfill the way they did.

Oh yea, one more goodie....the regreased the door hinges with spray on white grease but managed to get white grease all over my freshly detailed doors...both sides at top and bottom.

Mikep

Just another example of why I hate dealers. The only way any of them stay in business is that most all of them are the same.

Mikep, you really do need that vacation now
grin.gif
. You've not had much luck with that dealer have you. It must be the color of your truck, bright red, I guess it drives some people crazy!
gr_eek2.gif
Where did you get the Hastings filter from around here? I haven't seen that brand for 20+ years! Is it still with the "convict" drawing on the box.

Whimsey

Whimsey, the one that used to have the 'convict' on the box was Casite. Casite is some second level product for Hastings. If you can find a place that sells Hastings oil filters, they probably have Casite also.

Thanks Mystic, I wasn't looking for the "convict" brand, just reminiscing. It's just in my doddering old age I guess I mix up things and get really confused. It seems like only yesterday I was changing the oil in my NEW 1961 Chevy Impala. They tell me that Ike's not president any more, is that true?
shocked.gif

Whimsey

Another reason why I go for the $11.88 Wal-Mart oil and filter change. They're not the sharpest tacks in the bunch down at Wal-Mart but the dealers dummies are the ones assigned to oil changes as well. Most dealers pile on unnecessary crap services as a way to recoup $$$ for losses incurred in the sale.

I recently paid $35 for a 30K service that the Hyundai dealer would have hit me $300 for. I will defer to them for the 60K because that involves some specialized work--timing belts, etc. Once it's out of warranty probably never again, however.

That happened to me last fall too. I was on my first run with Schaeffer Oil, and they felt the need to top my oil up even though it was only down by about 1/3rd of a quart. So I had crappy GM oil mixed in with my first batch of Schaffer Oil. Although so far that run showed my lowest level of lead out of all my Schaeffer intervals so far.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
That happened to me last fall too. I was on my first run with Schaeffer Oil, and they felt the need to top my oil up even though it was only down by about 1/3rd of a quart. So I had crappy GM oil mixed in with my first batch of Schaffer Oil. Although so far that run showed my lowest level of lead out of all my Schaeffer intervals so far.

Both my Honda dealer and GM dealer have changed the oil in my cars against my instructions. Maybe there is a market for locking oil caps.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Yea, last time around the dealer reduced all air pressure in my tires to factory specs. Way too low!

Then again my Honda dealer installs Pennzoil with a Honda OEM filter for $18 an oil change. Never an issue. Not all are bad, but I have heard of some real bandits.

I some how got into the habit of safety wiring my filler cap and drain bolt. As an aircraft mechanic it comes naturally and lets you know if someone messed with your stuff. A safety wire job is like a signature.
grin.gif

I'm sure there are good and bad, but I too have had techs decide they were NOT going to follow directions.

While not oil related, I had some Caddy Deville wheels on my 87 LeSabre, and since I paid for road hazzard etc. for the tires (Dunlop Sport SP5000, really improved the cornering of that Buick going from the factory 205-75-14 to 225-55-16) I got free rotation and balance.

So I told the guy who wrote up the ticket, that I want my air pressure set to 38psi (the tires are rated for a max of 51)

He starts in on how they won't wear right, etc. I told him they appear to be wearing pretty evenly now. So he says he doesn't agree, but will put it on the ticket.

So I take the car home and check the air pressure, and every one of them is below 30psi.

I call the store back and ask if they are trying to get me killed? They say why, and I told them that I specifically specified 38psi in my tires and they were all below 30. Besides building up heat from underinflation (ok unlikely, but I was building drama) they were just going to roll over the next time I decided to charge an exit ramp posted for 35 at double that speed.

I told them the next time I would check my air pressure there, and make sure I raise holy **** in front of their customers if they can't follow directions.

But the guy tells me the pressure I chose was too high, it should be 35 and then his techs let air out to get it down below 30.

Morons, but I've found another shop that caters to "sport oriented" drivers, since I've sold the Buick (any body want to buy the Caddy DeVille Wheels) the wifes van will need new tires this fall, and Keith at Autotire will get my business, even though he is an hour away from home.

TB

[ July 12, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Tony Boner ]

This makes me appreciate my dealer (Infniti) more.

They have always left my oil alone, like I told them, even though, they like to give a free courtesy oil change on bigger service jobs, all of them so far had followed that (I move a lot).

Some of their service advisors seem to enjoy a little conversation about oils too.
fruit.gif

But since this is a negative thread about dealers they do charge a lot per hour and once I waited for the complimentary car wash and they had me waiting so it could get done at when I got the car is hadn't received a wash at all.

Fred:shrug:

Car salesmen in particular I can't stand. I've come so close so many times of going off on them. They really don't have a purpose anymore. They don't even know what the **** there talking about.

Buster, I don't know about "going off" on car sales "persons" but I did have lots of fun in ruthlessly teasing them for their total lack of knowledge of the product they are representing and trying to sell to you. One of the many classics was when I was buying a new 1985 VW Golf and the salesman pointed out the airfilter box and fuel injection system and proudly proclaimed this was the "new" and improved superior brake system VW put on the new Golfs. After my wife and I finished rolling on the floor in laughter and peeing from laughing so hard she then explained to him what the various component under the hood were. These same yahoo sales "persons" also sell Porsche's and Audi's
pat.gif

Whimsey

One guy I ran into wouldn't give me my keys back. He let me take a car home to my wife to show her. When I got back he was working with someone else. I asked him for my keys bc I wanted to think about it. He blew me off and wouldn't give them back. I had to make a slight scene and when into his desk drawer, which I had to pry open and took them back. Another guy was so arrogant because I went to an Infinity dealer to look at G35's. I am 26yrs old and went in wearing shorts and a T-shirt. They guy blew me off bc he thought I coulnd't afford one. I probably make more money then he does. I hate that.
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Car salesmen in particular I can't stand. I've come so close so many times of going off on them. They really don't have a purpose anymore. They don't even know what the **** there talking about.

Agree. I bought my new 2000 Honda Civic Si over the internet. When I picked it up at a dealership in the next state, the goofball salesman explains the "features" to me...dah...anyway...I sit down and said..."neat...flash to pass lights...didnt know the Civic had them/" He didnt know what "flash to pass" meant. After I explained it to him, he called the sales manager over and they chuckled about it...saying..."I never heard of such a thing!" IDIOTS!

[ July 12, 2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: CJH ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back