07 Ford F250, 6.0 powerstroke 240k mi; 15w40 Mobil Delvac Extreme 2.9k mi

Hi all,
Here's an UOA on my 2007 Ford F250 6.0 powerstroke. Engine was rebuilt at 223k, currently has 240k. UOA's are from the last 2 most recent OCI. Always serviced around 3k. Engine has performance goodies. 575 rwhp capable. OEM oil filters always used. Broke the engine in with Motorcraft 15w40. Sample date 3/18/23 was with Motorcraft 15w40 and an oiled air filter. Sample date 12/11/23 was with Mobil Delvac 15w40 extreme and changed to a dry filter. At time of the Mobil Delvac service the front cover was resealed, I suspected some coolant and silicone/gasket maker to show some traces on the analysis. Currently trying Amsoil 15w40 (ADP) curious to see those results!
Thanks

1000002741.jpg

Looks like everything is under control after the rebuild. That's a lot of power but the truck seams to no mind for now. Blackstone averages are around 5600 miles. I have 40 quarts of that Extreme waiting to be run next & Mobil has around two rebates a year on their HDEO in the spring & fall. There's less folks that frequent the diesel UOA section so it might be slow. Thanks for sharing.

Ask Blackstone to rerun your sample. That 100C viscosity doesn't look right at all.
Pretty typical for the High pressure oil system to shear the oil from a 40 down to a 30. 6.0 powerstroke's are harsh on oil. I work the truck pretty hard at times, 3k OCI are my limit with these.

Ask Blackstone to rerun your sample. That 100C viscosity doesn't look right at all.
Pretty typical for the High pressure oil system to shear the oil from a 40 down to a 30. 6.0 powerstroke's are harsh on oil. I work the truck pretty hard at times, 3k OCI are my limit with these.
While that is still true that HEUI system does sheer oil the CK-4 does much better on this engine. My 6.0L ran 9,500 miles on 5w-40 Rotella T6 and it tested at 12.1 Cst@100C. That means it did shear down to a 30 weight but that was after around 7,500 miles. That's with 2.8% fuel dilution & 4,400 lbs payload in the bed of the truck for 6,000 miles. Your flash point is high so it appears it's not fuel contamination. Obviously too late to test this oil I'd imagine. Still thanks for sharing this report.

While that is still true that HEUI system does sheer oil the CK-4 does much better on this engine. My 6.0L ran 9,500 miles on 5w-40 Rotella T6 and it tested at 12.1 Cst@100C. That means it did shear down to a 30 weight but that was after around 7,500 miles. That's with 2.8% fuel dilution & 4,400 lbs payload in the bed of the truck for 6,000 miles. Your flash point is high so it appears it's not fuel contamination. Obviously too late to test this oil I'd imagine. Still thanks for sharing this report.
Thanks for the feedback! Figured the numbers were similar to my previous UOA so it didn't raise too much of a concern with me. Was working the truck hard pulling a heavy trailer in the summer through nevada, Arizona and utah. Engine is tuned so I figured the hpop was working hard to keep those bigger injectors happy.

Thanks for the feedback! Figured the numbers were similar to my previous UOA so it didn't raise too much of a concern with me. Was working the truck hard pulling a heavy trailer in the summer through nevada, Arizona and utah. Engine is tuned so I figured the hpop was working hard to keep those bigger injectors happy.
Yeah, it may still just be from harder use. May I ask what the rebuild replaced?

That may be true but unfortunately you cannot distinguish between mechanical shear and fuel dilution with a Blackstone analysis.

If it is mechanical shear then I'd be looking for an oil with minimal VM and has high quality VII . Not all oils will be the same in that regard.

Ideally you'd want an oil with no VII (monograde or multi-grade due solely to the base stocks) since oil molecules do not shear.

Ideally you'd want an oil with no VII (monograde or multi-grade due solely to the base stocks) since oil molecules do not shear.
Having run Delvac 1 Extreme 15W-40 in a D60 engine for over a year now, I can say that it performs well, even under some less than optimal conditions. This engine has fuel dilution issues, a ton of miles on it, and the only oil consumption is what it looses through leaks. I have a hard time believing Blackstone's numbers. I'd advise OP to switch to a different lab for better accuracy.

Looking at the thick 40C viscosity, high 4.1 HTHS, and the plethora of OEM builder approvals, I have a hard time believing that this oil experiences mechanical shearing, especially in a Diesel engine.

1707143834163.jpg

1707143924636.jpg

Yeah, it may still just be from harder use. May I ask what the rebuild replaced?
Full long block rebuild. O-ringed cylinder heads with upgraded valve springs, bored .040 over, OEM ford connecting rods, OEM lifters, all new bearings, stage one camshaft, 175/30 injectors, feeding a 66/67 turbo.

Having run Delvac 1 Extreme 15W-40 in a D60 engine for over a year now, I can say that it performs well, even under some less than optimal conditions. This engine has fuel dilution issues, a ton of miles on it, and the only oil consumption is what it looses through leaks. I have a hard time believing Blackstone's numbers. I'd advise OP to switch to a different lab for better accuracy.

Looking at the thick 40C viscosity, high 4.1 HTHS, and the plethora of OEM builder approvals, I have a hard time believing that this oil experiences mechanical shearing, especially in a Diesel engine.

View attachment 202041

View attachment 202042
Yeah I’d tend to not suspect mechanical shear either (that’s an oft-maligned scapegoat), but the problem is you’ll never know from the analysis that was posted.

View attachment 202041

View attachment 202042
The HPOP in a 6.0 powerstroke has the ability to create oil pressure to up 4k psi. In my opinion definitely has the ability to lower viscosity. I have no issues with the oil, I would consider on using it again and have it retested with another UOA company. I feel comfortable in changing it at 3k OCI's and not stretching it in my case. Oil is cheap. I have Amsoil Heavy Duty 15w40 currently in use hope to test that soon to see how that holds up.

I've spent at least 10 years trying to communicate the true shearing rates vs the Internet myths, lol. No doubt the 6.0L does shear oils that have higher percentages of VI additives (HEUI systems will just do that). Definitely some oils shear more quickly than others! As I have posted many times, my oil is typically in the "high 30 wt" range with 7500 mile OCIs (some a slight bit higher, and some a slight bit lower than what 10W30 oils start out at). 244k miles on my '06. 5W40 Mobil Delvac 1. It is tuned but quite a bit below your hp!!

Good to see your report, thanks for posting.

Full long block rebuild. O-ringed cylinder heads with upgraded valve springs, bored .040 over, OEM ford connecting rods, OEM lifters, all new bearings, stage one camshaft, 175/30 injectors, feeding a 66/67 turbo.
Very interesting, Thanks for that info!

Back