Dealer won't provide loaner car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Astro14
My Mercedes Dealer has about 70 loaners. I schedule service when it's convenient. If I want a loaner, I have to schedule farther in advance...they run out of loaners pretty quickly....

I just checked... my local Mercedes dealer has half that (35)... but that number is how many new Mercedes that they have in their inventory for sale.

I was frankly shocked at the number of loaners in their inventory...but that looks like a ripe field for shopping for my next car...certified pre-owned, low mileage loaner...

I never get one (don't need it, see signature) so that allows me more appointment scheduling flexibility, which I do need.

Guess we are fortunate here. Our Chrysler dealer always gives me a loaner for any (non-warranty) repair. I just go ask one of the salesman if they have something I can drive, and they give me the keys to a used car on the lot.

Loaner cars are typically dealer goodwill.
Some dealers will provide loaners, especially for good (repeat) customers and some won't.
No dealer has a few cars just sitting around as loaners.
Not how the business works.

Pre-bankruptcy Chrysler.... absolutely not. It was written into the warranty that a loaner would NOT be provided.

A friend was without a 4x4 Dodge Ram Mega-Cab that was under factory warranty... when the steering box failed and there weren't any new replacement boxes availbable for over 6 weeks.

I was given a loaner on request when my Chevy was under the GM extended warranty... IF it was a repair that would require the dealer to keep it at least overnight. Otherwise it was two rides in the courtesy shuttle van.

A friend who has a BMW 3-series that is under factory warranty gets one of several base model Hyundai Sonata loaners from his dealer.

I got a loaner (usually a Caravan) every time my Magnum was in for service....even just an oil change!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Loaner cars are typically dealer goodwill.
Some dealers will provide loaners, especially for good (repeat) customers and some won't.
No dealer has a few cars just sitting around as loaners.
Not how the business works.

Actually, the dealer I bought my Mag from had at least three! (Green Caravan, silver PT Cruiser, and black Dakota.)

Pre-bankruptcy Chrysler.... absolutely not. It was written into the warranty that a loaner would NOT be provided.

availbable for over 6 weeks.

Complete, total and utter nonsense.

I purchased a 1994 Dakota in December of 1993. There were a couple problems with it that required overnight service at the dealer. They never failed to have a loaner ready for me when I dropped the truck off-I didn't even have to ask. Usually a Chrysler K car, but it was a loaner none the less.

And by the way, it's spelled "available", not "availbable".

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

availbable for over 6 weeks.

Complete, total and utter nonsense.

I purchased a 1994 Dakota in December of 1993. There were a couple problems with it that required overnight service at the dealer. They never failed to have a loaner ready for me when I dropped the truck off-I didn't even have to ask. Usually a Chrysler K car, but it was a loaner none the less.

And by the way, it's spelled "available", not "availbable".

Chrysler went into bankruptcy in 2009. What he meant as in prior was when they were majorly in financial trouble, in the mid to late 00's

Your 1994 experience is completely irrelevant and your attitude for trying to correct someone's simple typographical error is ridiculous. Get over yourself.

The small town dealer near me doesn't have a loaner car available, regardless of the reason. You are totally on your own if you have to leave the vehicle there. Same for the dealers in the two other towns around me. Price for living a little more rural.

I've used a dealer courtesy van a few times. If it's something that I expect will take less than a day, I don't bother asking.

My BMW dealer has always had loaners available and they go out of their way to give you the same type vehicle you were getting serviced or you can ask for something different to try out.

I have never had to wait on a loaner nor been denied because they were out of cars.

My Acura dealer (did not even buy from them) has loaners if you call ahead.

My Subaru dealer since I bought from them also does.

I believe it is more a dealer thing then a car maker mandated with a few exceptions. Check your warranty?

My guess no on Kia but could be a dealer perk.

I've never had a problem getting a loaner, as long as it was from the dealer where I purchased the car. If they don't have a loaner available, they typically grab the keys from a car on their used lot.

For dealers where I didn't purchase the vehicle, it's hit or miss.

At least, this has been my experience with Toyota, Ford, and Chrysler/Jeep dealers. I imagine the luxury dealers that charge an arm and leg for labor might be more willing to bend over backwards to help a customer, regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.

My work does not have loaner cars on the lot, simply no room for them. Ford does not compensate the dealer for a loaner car for warranty repairs unless the owner of the vehicle has an active ESP contract. There are always exceptions, but that is the general rule. When we do have a loaner available, it is a Hertz or Enterprise rental that Ford provides $28 a day for.

This will be dependent upon the dealer, even within the same manufacturer. Our local Honda dealer does not offer loaner cars. The one in the next town over does. Our local Chrysler dealer does not offer loaners, and I had to fight with Chrysler on the phone to get them to authorize an Enterprise rental.

The local MB dealer always gave me a loaner usually a C class.

My buddy used them a lot and used the loaners to test drive his next car, he has had everything from a C class to a GL and S. The only ones they don't give out as loaners are SL's and anything AMG...for obvious reasons.

I don't like the local GM dealers so I don't use them and have no idea if they give out loaners. But I do know if they do it will be painful some way they are incompetent.

Last edited:
My BMW dealer always gives me a loaner- always a BMW, usually something new and interesting.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Free loaners are the norm for Honda, even for something silly like interior trim squeaking or rattles.
Even for service such as maintenance Tbelt WP, the dealer will give free loaner.

Your Honda dealer, perhaps. Otherwise, all dealers are different.

Our Honda dealer doesn't do loaners. None.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
If you can't reproduce it for them, don't bother taking it in. You're just wasting your time.

This ^^^^^^^

When I spent $14xx to replace the clutch in my subaru, I could not get a loaner. When I spent $12xx to replace the timing belt/water pump, I could not get a loaner. I was told loaners come on a first come first serve basis, I was very disappointed that after spending over $2600, I couldn't get loaner.

I know some will say I overpaid for these services, but at the time I was willing to pay a little more to have the dealer do the work.

An independent shop can do all those clutch, timing belt and water pump for less than 1/2 what you paid Subaru dealer. Then you can pay for a rental car yourself and still have some money in your pocket. The only time my cars were in dealer was for warranty works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back