Dealer Oil Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 2011 Challenger to the Dodge dealer for its first complimentary oil change. Guess what, they put in 5W20, the owners manual and on the oil fill cap in bright yellow numbers says 5W30? What the heck? I usually change my own oil, but this first change is free and I wanted to get like 6000 miles it before I switch to synthetic. Should I leave it or take it back? the dealer admitted fault when I called. Just wondering if it will be a waste of time for them to make the switch? Would you?

hmm.... well Id make sure they are willing to do it and wait a while before I take it in for a 5w30 change. Id love to use that free fresh oil for a little while and then get some more free oil.

Yes, for sure. The dealer told me to bring it back in the morning, Its going back just because of there lack of attention to detail. I will even try and watch them dump that fresh oil, just for kicks.

Originally Posted By: Klotz1
Yes, for sure. The dealer told me to bring it back in the morning, Its going back just because of there lack of attention to detail. I will even try and watch them dump that fresh oil, just for kicks.

These Dealers are ridiculous. It makes you worry. You just don't know what they are putting in your car. I understand it is on them under warranty, but the problem is after. My new Sonata has "free OCI's for life" at 3750mi so I figure it can't cause too much damage. I will save 10's of thousands of dollars the way I spend money on oil. I have a hard time going 2K without an OC. Probably more harm than good but I can't stop. I need help. Sorry for the rant.

3.6L Pentastar right?

I wouldnt leave 5W20 in a Direct Injection Engine not with the fuel dilution issues some of them have had.
Im sure thats why it specs 5W30.

Yup, 3.6L Pentastar, great engine! its going back tomorrow at 9AM. I will be changing my own oil, even if its a free be from a dealer. Today's dealers are [censored]. Thanks for the input.

Free OCI's for life on the sonata is an amazing deal, especially at 3750 mile intervals. Ive heard of free Oil changes, but usually at 7500 or 10k intervals, which is too long for my comfort. Im usually itching at the 4k mark, 5k and its outa there for sure!

I agree, I almost want to dump and change the oil myself just for piece of mind. Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing. Thanks.

The dealers make a lot of mistakes last year they changed the oil on a 5 year old Chevy van with 43,000 but forgot to put oil in (some stealerships are brain dead)
We rebuilt the engine for them so the customer got a new rebuilt done rite...Too bad it did not have 200,000 on it because than the customer would have realy won.....

Not exactly on the same level, but we have had two employees fail to put oil in brand new Toro lawnmowers. One was delivered to the customers home where it locked up right in front of him.

The guys that change oil at a dealership didn't work there way up to that position. Most of them have no prior mechanical experience. It's like the jobs so easy and repetitive, they cant help but to screw up once in a while. Unfortunately an oil change service allows really no room for error.

There should be a warning message that flashes just before you start up a car; if you haven't checked the oil level since it was last changed, check it! I don't need this advice but apparently a lot of other people do.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Not exactly on the same level, but we have had two employees fail to put oil in brand new Toro lawnmowers. One was delivered to the customers home where it locked up right in front of him.

The guys that change oil at a dealership didn't work there way up to that position. Most of them have no prior mechanical experience. It's like the jobs so easy and repetitive, they cant help but to screw up once in a while. Unfortunately an oil change service allows really no room for error.

WARNING OFF TOPIC:
That reminds me of a guy that got a new truck a few years ago. 780 Volvo with a Cummins Signature 600. A $140,000+ Truck at the time.

Mechanic is servicing the truck for the first time. Owner is back their making a pain of himself getting in the way and giving advice. He cranks up the truck to check oil pressure like you always do at the end of service.

Mechanic walks over and calmy asks, "You you know I havnt put the oil in yet, right"?

$60,000 Boat Anchor anyone? Actually he ran it another 600,000 miles before he sold it but I wouldnt have gotten that lucky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Think of this mistake of wrong grade as a flush, your engine is very clean after tomorrow.

+1

On the invoice sheet the last couple times I've gotten my oil changed at the dealer (they were free) it says 10w30. When I asked them about it they claim it is just a computer thing and they always put in the grade on the fill cap (5w30 in this case). I'm still leery, but haven't used it in really cold weather for these changes and if I have a problem in the figure that is oil related that needs warranty attention, I got the oil changed at the dealer.

I get pretty nervous when getting something I did not ask for. There are some lousy folks out there who get angered at the drop of a hat. Some time ago I was a waiter and never really took pride in my work, but I would always treat the customer's food above how I would like it myself. I've seen dropped rolls reappear on a plate and have heard of stories. Also, may be a bit off topic, but at McDonalds I wasn't sure what I wanted and changed my order. When I got my breakfast there was a nice wad of pubic hair under the biscuit. Should've tried to sue but whatever.

Anyway, you never know how sorry the people are that you can deal with. Its a delicate balancing act to handle people that I cant learn. Too stern and they can deliberately leave a bolt loose or drop something in the oil fill. Too passive and they'll just change the oil and leave the old filter...as examples. Not very many people are truly professionals. Remember the state trooper who pulled over an SuV and got a royal cursing. He remained calm and refrained from opening up a can.

Of course, if you have a trusted mechanic you can bypass all these feelings of uncertainty. You never know what goes on behind closed doors. I try my best to do everything I can to care for my vehicles myself, but when something is over your head all you can do is take it to the shop and hope for the best.

Anyways, if you're not living in an apartment complex, I suggest you change it yourself if you're worried about it being too thin. Or you can drain into a clean pan and reuse it in the winter or mix it with 10w40 in the future. Dealerships are for warranty claims and independents are for anything over your head. It is up to you for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back