De Anza College in Cupertino, CA to offer Automotive Bachelor Degree

I studied Computer Science at De Anza College in nearby Cupertino. Automotive Technology is one of De Anza's most popular (impacted) departments.
The dept has been given approval to offer its 1st ever bachelor of science degree which focuses on the business side of the automotive business.

"The new automotive technology degree program was developed by the business, computer science and applied technologies division along with the automotive technology department. It will include general education courses and new upper division classes, although those courses must still go through a curriculum development process. De Anza hopes to offer classes toward the degree like automotive marketing, supply chain management, sales forecasting and human resources."
“We’re excited about expanding the Auto Tech program with this new degree, which will offer greater career and financial opportunities for our students while filling a need for local employers,” said De Anza’s Auto Tech Department Chair Dave Capitolo.

Here's a link to the Automotive Department, which now includes Electric and Autonomous vehicle tech. There are numerous free classes and students are allowed to retake ZOOM (pandemic) classes in person if they wish for free as well.

De Anza offers low cost, high quality education and caters to students who are working days or have other commitments with a broad choice of night classes.
I salute them for their continued support of Silicon Valley's diverse community. De Anza has been recognized as a Top 5 Community College in our Nation.

Last edited:
I studied Computer Science at De Anza College in nearby Cupertino. Automotive Technology is one of De Anza's most popular (impacted) departments.
The dept has been given approval to offer its 1st ever bachelor of science degree which focuses on the business side of the automotive business.

"The new automotive technology degree program was developed by the business, computer science and applied technologies division along with the automotive technology department. It will include general education courses and new upper division classes, although those courses must still go through a curriculum development process. De Anza hopes to offer classes toward the degree like automotive marketing, supply chain management, sales forecasting and human resources."
“We’re excited about expanding the Auto Tech program with this new degree, which will offer greater career and financial opportunities for our students while filling a need for local employers,” said De Anza’s Auto Tech Department Chair Dave Capitolo.

Here's a link to the Automotive Department, which now includes Electric and Autonomous vehicle tech. There are numerous free classes and students are allowed to retake ZOOM (pandemic) classes in person if they wish for free as well.

De Anza offers low cost, high quality education and caters to students who are working days or have other commitments with a broad choice of night classes.
I salute them for their continued support of Silicon Valley's diverse community. De Anza has been recognized as a Top 5 Community College in our Nation.
While positive none of those degrees actually teach how to diagnose and fix vehicles. It seems the part of automotive technology they are teaching have some of the most LIMITED opportunities.

On edit-OK I see that now. we need more techs that know what they are doing.

Last edited:
While positive none of those degrees actually teach how to diagnose and fix vehicles. It seems the part of automotive technology they are teaching have some of the most LIMITED opportunities.
The 4 year degree adds to the 2 year auto tech degree which has been in place for over 30 years. It is very well recognized. Perhaps peruse the link I shared, if you want more information.

I should have been more clear; I've known about this program for a very long time. There is no way others could have.

Last edited:
I did 18 years of continuing education education at Skyline College's auto program, yes I took other classes when I didn't want to do an auto class but I enjoyed all the classes immensely and they were fun and what was really good is the other techs taking the classes would input brand specific problems and their solutions. The education allowed me to be proficient in the electronics and diagnosis and to earn a really good income that allowed me funds to invest and retire at 48 years old. My best value was I was taking a GM class and the first Tuesday in March was the class and we learned about the wiring and electronics for the new GM vehicles . Thursday I delivered some forklifts to our main branch in San Jose and noticed the owner, his new Vette and the shop mechanics looking at the Vette. Wondering what was going on I went over and asked what are we all standing here for? Well the car was dead and the radio didn't work .. I learned that the fuel pump and the radio on the Vette was on the same circuit. I went to parts and said I need a fuse for the Vette . I switched out the fuse the radio worked and the engine started and to relieve myself of further responsibility I said better bring this in for warranty. The ending of this was at the Christmas party when the owner went over the years notable moments and who did them. The first thing said what how I fixed his Vette. The sad part is being out of the industry since 2000 is I am so far out of practice I need to ask for help.

Last edited:
OP is giving me 1973 DAC flashbacks.

-Baseball.
-Excellent professors.

The Automotive Department has always been strong.

I later had a mechanic tell me to take my car there to let the professor and class have a look at it, with a troubling AC issue.

OP is giving me 1973 DAC flashbacks.

-Baseball.
-Excellent professors.

The Automotive Department has always been strong.

I later had a mechanic tell me to take my car there to let the professor and class have a look at it, with a troubling AC issue.
De Anza has always been big on sports. The football coach, Coach Mazzuca, asked me if I wanted to play on his team. That's how bad they were.

Haha.
What position ?
I wanted to play linebacker, but I was too slow. Middle guard because I was quick enough. My football days were over from major knee surgery in high school. But I could still lift weights in the weightroom with the team and run around the par course. I love De Anza; it changed my life.
At the time I was starting my AA recovery. The school helped my brain and body, the AA program was the spiritual component. I had to keep busy all the time or I would never have had a chance. I love De Anza, the professors (like you posted) and all the wonderful students. I am in the process of taking my grand nieces to all the local colleges (father passed away). As we walked around De Anza, I was reduced to tears.

I wanted to play linebacker, but I was too slow. Middle guard because I was quick enough. My football days were over from major knee surgery in high school. But I could still lift weights in the weightroom with the team and run around the par course. I love De Anza; it changed my life.
At the time I was starting my AA recovery. The school helped my brain and body, the AA program was the spiritual component. I had to keep busy all the time or I would never have had a chance. I love De Anza, the professors (like you posted) and all the wonderful students. I am in the process of taking my grand nieces to all the local colleges (father passed away). As we walked around De Anza, I was reduced to tears.
Wow. Thanks for sharing.

I have deep thoughts about De Anza College too, maybe not as deep as yours, with the AA thing.

Our baseball coach, Ed Bressoud, showed us his World Series Championship ring...once. I learned a lot about life from this great man.

I have to believe a Bachelor's Degree in Automotive Technology from this unique place would be invaluable.

I have to believe a Bachelor's Degree in Automotive Technology from this unique place would be invaluable.
De Anza is well recogized for Nursing, Automotive, Computer Science and as a top transfer school to our Universities. Nursing and Automotive are both preparing 4 year degrees. These will be ultra low cost options for students.

Having said that, I hated one of my Accounting professors because he catered to the pretty girls and his "A" students; I was neither.

The Dean

15F268CB-1B06-45D2-83BA-35669D9949D0.png

That's terrible engineering right there. Most cars I've looked at, including GM vehicles, the fuel pump has it's own fuse. Nothing else is on that circuit.
Let me introduce you to VW (mk4 era) where replacing the factory radio in the typical way kills the K line and you have all sorts of weirdness.

Back