Daughter's trip to JiffyLube

Not sure what’s the issue here. Certainly it is not with Jiffy Lube, at least not in OPs case.
What’s the msrp of the Telluride? Must be around $50k. I don’t see how a $100 oil change on such a vehicle is considered overpriced.
Add a zero and that’s what our engineering manager just paid for his AMG63 service …

Last edited:
The dealer is probably cheaper. No jiffy lube for me ever.
Your last paragraph is spot on.
That's what I've found. Our local dealer is under $60 for TGMO and filter and vacuum and car wash. A dealer in the city I work is like $80 I believe. So it varies but definitely not that spendy. I just bought 10qts at Costco for $30. I'll change my own for $20. $100+ is definitely a profit maker.

Not sure what’s the issue here. Certainly it is not with Jiffy Lube, at least not in OPs case.
What’s the msrp of the Telluride? Must be around $50k. I don’t see how a $100 oil change on such a vehicle is considered overpriced.
I think I paid over $100 for 6 qts. at the VW Dealer when I found out my free ones ran out. So ya that checks.

I think I paid over $100 for 6 qts. at the VW Dealer when I found out my free ones ran out. So ya that checks.
Many, chains and independents and dealers, are over $100 now. I struggle not to go to my Toyota dealer at just a notch below $60 including a car wash and vacuuming and check of brakes and such. Much less hassle and a good price. When brakes are down they'll get my business for that. Same with other simple things. Why? Because it's OEM and I feel their prices are reasonable. In my opinion, it's a great way to get cars in and checked out. If they jump over $80, it's ridiculous not to do it myself at that point. Saving $25 isn't worth the mess. Saving $60+ is. That's my limit I guess.

I've used Valvoline for decades for my cars. They are imo, the only decent oil change place. They don't upsell, and they're friendly and well trained. I've used them on both the east and west coast, never had a bad experience there. On their satisfaction survey they specifically ask if you felt pushed to buy other services, which is against their policy. I have had fluids changed there besides oil too, but not because the employees were shoving them down my throat.

OTOH, I visited a Jiffy Lube one time years ago when we were in a city that didn't have a Valvoline and I needed an oil change. Wow, what an experience that was. They tried to sell me another $200 worth of BS including 'windshield chip repair'. They were pushy as hell, too. I complained about it on their 'customer service feedback' card and their manager called me that evening. Honestly he was really awful too, and I realized he only called because Jiffy Lube sells a lot of franchises and he was forced to call. This didn't surprise me because franchise chains are often less than honest. I don't mean they're total crooks, just that the incredible pressure on the owners to bring in high numbers for the company makes them do things they might not otherwise do - ethically questionable things, imo. I've found Good Year and Firestone shops fall into this category too.

TLDR: I like Valvoline. ;)
My local Valvoline does a good job. But they do definately upsell the unsuspecting.

Back