Daughter turned down a free pickup for her oldest Son

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Moving from Utah to South Carolina. Had to slim down some of my "fleet". My youngest Sons truck that he received at age 16 became mine after he drove it for ten years. 1998 S10 ZR2. The truck had been rebuilt mechanically, but needs a replacement transmission and typical body work when a 16 year drives a car for ten years.

Offered it to my Daughter for free. Her three year old loves vehicles. Said it could be a Grandpa/ Grandson project when I retire in three years. She said no way was she going to store that truck until her Son became 16. I asked her to take a second look at my offer.... SHE SAID NO WAY.

Thought this is a perfect vehicle for a 16 year old. No backseat, can only get one friend in it... decent looks....

Put the truck on local classified web-site called KSL and it sold in 30 minutes.
IMG_20200329_085040.jpg

Put the truck on local classified web-site called KSL and it sold in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Yeah some people won't want to hold onto extra vehicles. I would be the same unless I had a garage large enough to store it and all my stuff and have it not get in the way.

if it needs a transmission, your daughter might think its over the hill and will become a money pit for her/grandkid to keep on the road, i wouldnt take it personally you can always sell it and take the money to Vegas

if it needs a transmission, your daughter might think its over the hill and will become a money pit for her/grandkid to keep on the road, i wouldnt take it personally you can always sell it and take the money to Vegas
With a S10, you are spot on.

In this case, I rebuilt the crap out of it. New Delphi fuel pump, new Delphi Spyder fuel injection system, all new ujoints, new OEM upper and lower control arms, tie rods, new wheel bearings, replaced heater core... about everything that could be done. I spent three months going through it from top to bottom when my youngest Son gave it back to me after ten years of him driving. He now drives my Wifes old Acura MDX.

Yes the transmission is about $1200 rebuilt, not including labor. Just thought it could be a fun project for a boy who loves vehicle... my Daughter did not ...

This is a pic of the interior, and a pic next to F350 for size comparison. Pretty decent interior
20190819_100913.jpg
IMG_20200329_085113.jpg
shape for a 20+ year old little pickup.

Last edited:
Yep I'd rather have family members in a car with better crash ratings, and safety features.

Would do well as a farm truck around here, lots of guys I know with land keep 300k-400k Chev Silverado's for this exact reason.

Seems that you could have stored it for her (for 13 years) and/or maintained it until your grandson turns 16 if it's that important. She made the smart decision, IMO.

I wouldn't let my 16 year old drive a 25+ year old, small pick-up either. Does it have anti-lock brakes or airbags ? It might in '98, I guess. Even if it did, check out the IIHS safety ratings for small pickups of that era. My money says they're pretty poor.

Consider yourself lucky because this has "no good deed goes unpunished" written all over it. her "baby" will start driving in a 20+ year old chevy. truck that was previously owned by another teenager? Old trucks no matter how you take care of them have issues. Dry rotted rubber parts, brittle plastic etc, Once it sees bumps jars and vibrations, things will break. Once Jr gets stranded a time or two or has a accident due to some mechanical failure no matter how minor, it will be ALL YOUR FAULT. Best thing to do is what you did, sell the truck. Put the money in an investment account for him (us stock market fund) and let it grow for 13 years. Or you can buy Bitcoin (😨) and he'll buy you a truck when he's of age. LOL! the bitcoin was a joke but you never know with this crazy economy.

As a dad with a 9 and a 6 year old. I too would have made the same decision as your daughter.

It is an truck that needs a transmission, it is something that will take up space (what if they want to move, what if they need to move the truck around), the kids will keep bugging mom and dad to fix it so they can drive it, not paying someone but learning how to DIY, then maybe after spending 2k on it and it break down and you want it fixed because of your emotional attachment to it?

I too would want nothing of it too, and I was "buying" an old Camry off my FIL to shut him up and get him off trouble, spending a few weeks fixing it up and breaking even to sell it and smog it.

If it needs work it is not a gift.

Back