dark oil, real fast.

I'm not talking about oil condition or that black means the oil is used up. IMO, but with this much soot in the oil, some of it may start to deposit in various places, even if the oil is perfectly fine otherwise. Do we even know what % of soot load can PCMOs safely handle?
I hardly doubt it.

That is why I do not understand all the "it's fine" comments. This is clearly abnormal and I don't understand how it is brushed off so easily.

OP's vehicle is pretty much brand new. Things usually only get worse, not better as miles accumulate. I think his worries are 100% warranted. I would be worried too.

One of the biggest myths you see when people talk about oil is the color.

“I use brand xyz and the oil stays cleaner longer so it’s better.”

I'm not talking about oil condition or that black means the oil is used up. IMO, but with this much soot in the oil, some of it may start to deposit in various places, even if the oil is perfectly fine otherwise. Do we even know what % of soot load can PCMOs safely handle?
I hardly doubt it.

That is why I do not understand all the "it's fine" comments. This is clearly abnormal and I don't understand how it is brushed off so easily.

OP's vehicle is pretty much brand new. Things usually only get worse, not better as miles accumulate. I think his worries are 100% warranted. I would be worried too.
I wouldn't brush it off either. I would dump it and sample if it was mine. Or drain it for peace of mind but I'd be very curious to see what's in it. Sounds like fuel dilution too.

One of the biggest myths you see when people talk about oil is the color.

“I use brand xyz and the oil stays cleaner longer so it’s better.”
This thread is not about oil myths or generalities. It's about a specific example. So that's what I'm trying to discuss.

That's why I said it would be good to see a picture of the oil on the dipstick from OP's car. The oil may have looked "coal black" when drained, but may actually look OK on the dipstick.

I think we agree. My point was to be careful of going by color. Look at any common oil review online and 9/10 someone is saying that brand x is better because it looks clean after x amount of miles when in reality it means very little at all. In this case it warrants further review.

I think we agree. My point was to be careful of going by color. Look at any common oil review online and 9/10 someone is saying that brand x is better because it looks clean after x amount of miles when in reality it means very little at all. In this case it warrants further review.
Agreed.

The written word is not the best and sometimes makes it seem like our opinions are worlds apart, where in fact they are pretty much aligned and the differences are actually minor.🍻

i recently changed my oil with the new QSUP 5W30. i have a 22 ford ranger 2.3 EB.

for starters the qsup has been good. the ranger has never been quieter. its smooth. sounds darn near perfect. however, i have around 700 miles on this oil and upon checking, its already coal black. the oil is reading above the full mark also. it reeks of gasoline.

i change every 6 months regardless of miles. most of the time there is less than 3-4k on it. i do lots of short trips. stop & go. once in a while i take it out on the highway when i can.

in the past ive never noticed the oil levels being this high or having this much gas odor. let alone being this dark this fast. fwiw, its never been this dark before. im going to do a uoa and go from there.

your thoughts? recommendations?
Dont bother with the UOA. been there done that. Ford 2.0L D.I. engine no turbo short trip 5k miles a year 2 oil changes a year. Don't bother telling the dealer either, they could care less. Short trips in D.I engines are oil killers.

Here is my oil at a bit over 2K with Castrol Edge black bottle - which I will never run again. Engine stated knocking. Oil was black, sooty and watery. Oil sample drops on a folded tissue was LOADED with soot.

Below also is my oil analysis.

Just change more often and run a solid 10W30 in warmer weather. It will hold up better - It did for me.
Also give it a good, long go (>1hr) on the interstate periodically. It works wonders. - Ken

20220321_133209.jpg
20220321_132843.jpg

FordEcoSport_2LDuratec oil report_220405.jpg

Dont bother with the UOA. been there done that. Ford 2.0L D.I. engine no turbo short trip 5k miles a year 2 oil changes a year. Don't bother telling the dealer either, they could care less. Shirt trips in D.I are oil killers.

Here is my oil at a bit over 2K with Castrol Edge black bottle - which I will never run again. Engine stated knocking. Oil was black, sooty and watery.

Here in my oil analysis.

Just change more often or run a 10W30 in warmer weather. It will hold up better - It did for me.

View attachment 160466View attachment 160467

View attachment 160472

That blotter test look awful.

Could it be soot people are seeing in oil filters rather than deposits and sludge? 🤷‍♂️

I never looked at oil filters before but lately that’s the thing to do. Curious.

I've noticed the oil is much lighter when hot than cold.
Do to dropout ( particles , etc. ) from leftover oil and new when the oil is idle for a period of time ? Like that in a new bottle found at the bottom when empty ( example P.P. , Shell , etc. ) . Do see this when checking dipstick . Clear at top and gradually gets darker to the bottom of the dipstick . Especially not long after new oil and filter change . :whistle:

Do to dropout ( particles , etc. ) when oil is idle for periond of time ? Like that in a new bottle found at the bottom when empty ( example P.P. , Shell , etc. ) . Do see this when checking dipstick . Clear at top and gradually gets darker to the bottom of the dipstick . Especially not long after new oil and filter change . :whistle:
I've noticed that too. I usually check the oil in morning and the top end is lighter in color.

If it's soot people are seeing in the oil filters, then maybe nothing is really being cleaned.

In my experience, not counting direct injection or diesels, well maintained engines stay clean looking much longer. Neglected or worn out (blowby) engines get dark fast. Even with direct injection, my wife's Sonata is staying cleaner now that she drives more highway trips. It used to turn black after the first drive with new oil. Now it looks new a week later.

Agreed.

The written word is not the best and sometimes makes it seem like our opinions are worlds apart, where in fact they are pretty much aligned and the differences are actually minor.🍻

Great post here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have said the same thing… typed words are extremely difficult to navigate a conversation at times.

You two guys have handled this exceptionally well.

I've noticed that too. I usually check the oil in morning and the top end is lighter in color.

If it's soot people are seeing in the oil filters, then maybe nothing is really being cleaned.
Soot is typically too small to get caught in an oil filter. We've been over this before in a past thread, that's why they use centrifuges on diesels to remove it.

The size of soot is not an issue here, it’s the amount of it.

OP mentioned coal black oil in 700 miles. That is only normal in diesel engines.
This much soot will eventually start depositing in the engine as gasoline oils don’t have the same amount of dispersants and detergents to deal with it.

Also, not sure how many here handled old diesel oil. Rub some between your fingers and see just how much soot gets imbedded in your skin and how sticky it is.
Soot particles may be small, but they do lump together into bigger ones if the are not suspended in the oil. If soot starts to deposit itself in the engine, it will eventually cause trouble.
Yup, nice diesel motor oil for a on you it takes days to remove the stench. Ask me how I know

Back