Daniel Riccardo confirms exit from McLaren F1

The don't say the summer break is silly season for nothing.

This is a very logical, almost forgone, conclusion to the Vettel-Alonso-Piastri shuffle. The only real question mark was how much McLaren was willing to pay to buy out Danny Ric's contract to give Piastri the seat.

This leaves Alpine with an open seat. Ricciardo has already been there under the Renault flag, so I don't see that happening. Williams and Haas may have potential openings. I certainly don't see him at Williams and as much as I think Danny Ric at Haas with Guenther would be an absolute riot (man this would make for a great season of the Netflix show), I don't think Haas can afford him.

Formula 1 is tough. With all these new young drivers even Schumacher's son Mick isn't safe. He was good at Red Bull, hopefully he can get into broadcasting or maybe go to Indy or NASCAR.

His career was done when he left Red Bull
I don't know about that? I think he was flying pretty high thumping Vettel and then Verstappen for a while, but I think he saw in the driver data that Verstappen had finally figured out how to drive fast AND consistently and saw that he probably was not going to beat Max in the same car at Red Bull, especially given Red Bulls favoritism towards Max. At Renault he did well against Ocon, and probably thought Lando would be similar at McLaren, but got a surprise!
I think Riccardo realizes that Lando is up there with Max and Charles, he's probably not going to beat Lando ,and McLaren are not progressing well, so its time to go somewhere else... Like back to Alpine, I think he would be a safe bet for them for sure, no one else is available with anywhere close his racing success, and they already have his data compared to Ocon as well. But maybe Ocon is now experienced enough for Alpine to take on a rookie long shot?

Back