Damp that Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had the 20k maintenance done on my VW TDI.
Last two months it's been very cold, the engine would struggle to start even with repeated glow plug cycling. Switched to Delvac 1 , the mechanic said he never saw this oil before !! I found out the glow plug relay is malfunctiong but no replacement available.The glow plugs were apparently working but not at full strentgh. So i start the TDI the next day without cycling the plugs, it started rightup, engine sounds smoother .

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
scirocco16V - Delvac 1 is a pretty good oil. You didn't mention oil brand/viscosity you used earlier so hard to compare. What was it pls?

I think he's saying he switched from Castrol Syntec to Delvac 1 and found the Delvac vastly superior for cold starts.

I had the same experience with cold starting in my 95 PSD this year. When the temps got below 35 I would have to cycle the glow plugs 3 times and then the engine would stumble and smoke like anything. I replaced the glow plug relay. Same problem. So I bought 8 Motorcraft glow plugs and put in the right bank. I measured the ones I took out and all were good. Measured the left bank and they were good so I left them. Started the truck the next morning and the same crap. Now I was getting bent. I drove it about 30 miles, came home, dumped the dino oil that only had 1300 miles on it and put in Schaeffer's series 7000 15W40. The next morning it was about 18 degrees when I went out. I glowed the truck once and it started as though it was summer.

Lesson learned: On a diesel engine pour point is important in the winter. My 01 PSD was starting with no problems in all temps, but it had the Schaeffer's already in it. I only wish I had drawn that conclusion earlier. I was being cheap and using up my old stock of 15W40, not Schaeffer's.

I too have experienced this advantage with Schaeffer's 15w-40. Bob convinced me to use the 15w-40 for all my applications. All the gas applications cold started better on the 15w-40 than they did on my old 10w-30 Penn dino. And my diesel tractors start a lot easier than they did on the 15w-40 John Deere dino.

Right now I'm looking for the oil I will use on my new VW TDI. Most TDIer use Amsoil or Delvac 1.

quote:

Originally posted by scirocco16V:
Just had the 20k maintenance done on my VW TDI.
Last two months it's been very cold, the engine would struggle to start even with repeated glow plug cycling. Switched to Delvac 1 , the mechanic said he never saw this oil before !! I found out the glow plug relay is malfunctiong but no replacement available.The glow plugs were apparently working but not at full strentgh. So i start the TDI the next day without cycling the plugs, it started rightup, engine sounds smoother .

offtopic.gif
I didn't realize these direct injection diesels would need glow plugs. Compression temp with a pre-chamber (like my old 240D had) would be low enough on cold start that glow plugs were needed, but I thought direct injection wouldn't need them. Hmmm...

I always found Syntec harder to turn over in cold weather, particularly their 5w-50 weight. Dont know how they get away with that, it definitely thickens up more than other oils in cold temps, the motor really sounds laboured upon start up. It is a poor synthetic because I know of some conventional oils that hold up better in cold temps. What weight did you have in her ?

TDIs still have glow plugs. And VW has had numerous problems with inferior made relays made in ex-eastern Block countries. My first TDI, was a 99 Golf, crapped on me , while parking in front of the house. One major relay, that controls alot of engine functions quit working. Upon taking the 01 TDi to the dealer to find out what the warning light was, I knew it was a relay.
Germans don't do electronics as good as they think. They lost WWII because they thought radar was overrated.

I just switched from Petro Canada 5W40 to the 7000 series 15W40. The cold starting seems just as good. I am having a hard time trying to figure this out. Seems like a 15W would drag things down a bit but I sure can’t tell that it is.
It was 3 below this morning and my 22 year old Mercedes diesel started just as fast as it does in the summer.
It’s probably my imagination but the engine used to have a very faint sound like piston slap or a slightly loose wrist pin and that sound is now gone since I started using the 15W40. the oil pressure at idle is now slightly higher also.

quote:

Originally posted by scirocco16V:
Germans don't do electronics as good as they think. They lost WWII because they thought radar was overrated.

offtopic.gif
Well, I think their loss of WWII was due more to the leader of the country being a megalomaniac surrounded by a bunch sycophants.

My TDI (2002) started nicely just recently in a less than ideal environment with Delvac 1. It was parked outside up north with a temperature of -22F. Two glow plug cycles of around 30 seconds, held starter on for about 5 seconds and she started popping with just a bit of smoke for 2-3 seconds...

Jaon

quote:

Originally posted by DABEAR95:
My TDI (2002) started nicely just recently in a less than ideal environment with Delvac 1. It was parked outside up north with a temperature of -22F. Two glow plug cycles of around 30 seconds, held starter on for about 5 seconds and she started popping with just a bit of smoke for 2-3 seconds...

Jaon

Heating your engine with the water jacket heater will give you longer engine life, better and cleaner starts, cleaner engine operation, and get your heater working much sooner.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:
I just switched from Petro Canada 5W40 to the 7000 series 15W40. The cold starting seems just as good. I am having a hard time trying to figure this out. Seems like a 15W would drag things down a bit but I sure can’t tell that it is.

Schaeffer #700 15W-40 passes the cold cranking viscosity tests somewhere between a 10W and a 5W, 4,877 cP @ -25°C...don't know why they continue to label it as a 15W except maybe marketing reasons.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/700.htm
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/NewOronite/library/li_viscosity_motoroil.htm

Ken

offtopic.gif
actually youre both right. IF the german military leaders (who knew they were going to lose with hitler planning strategy like ummm...Russia in the fall and crappy logistics!) had killed him and not missed, or hitler wouldve let them run the war, we'd have had some problems. Speaking of course, from an historical and factual and realistic and not politically correct point of vies that is.....
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back