D.I., oci more important than oil type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Mineral/dino oil is not inferior at 3K mi oci. I could say you are wasting folks are wasting synthetics by changing at 5K, but I won't.

Sorry but saying mineral/dino is not inferior if you change at 3k is like saying olive oil is not inferior if you change at 100 miles.

The simple fact that you have stated what you have means that you do already accept the inferiority.

If i did 3k oci i would be sometimes changing the oil every 2 weeks.

I am not going to tell anybody not to use the oil they want to use.

But using top quality synthetic or semi sythetic at half the normal oci (as an example, 12k in the case of the Clio, 18k in the Pathfinder and 16k in the Jag) due to considering the usage severe enough to warrant it is purely precautionary.

But my plan means that if time or weather means i can't change it when i intend to there is no harm done as the oil is more than capable of running much longer whilst still providing good protection.

I do tend to run the filter more than one oci now though. Not longer than the filter was originally intended for but more than one oci certainly.

I fully understand that 3k mile or similar oci have been the norm in NA for many years.

This is different to the thinking in Europe.

Quality over quantity is the way i see it.

North American consumer would rather change an inferior product more often. That is fine.

But lets not kid ourselves that mineral/dino is a comparable product to synthetic lubes. Wether they be full, part, semi or blend.

The only mineral/dino product widely available in the UK is GTX and it doesn't meet the specs of most modern vehicle as the available product is only A3/B3. Which rules out anything but very old diesels.

Remember, though, your vehicles have different specifications and therefore different OCIs based upon those specifications. Many vehicles in North America aren't hard on oil and have short warranty mandated OCIs (even more a few years back). If the "superior" product doesn't provide a ROI, there's not a lot of point.

My F-150 needs a boutique lube as much as I need a Bentley to go grocery shopping.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Mineral/dino oil is not inferior at 3K mi oci. I could say you are wasting folks are wasting synthetics by changing at 5K, but I won't.

Sorry but saying mineral/dino is not inferior if you change at 3k is like saying olive oil is not inferior if you change at 100 miles.

The simple fact that you have stated what you have means that you do already accept the inferiority.

But using top quality synthetic or semi sythetic at half the normal oci (as an example, 12k in the case of the Clio, 18k in the Pathfinder and 16k in the Jag) due to considering the usage severe enough to warrant it is purely precautionary.

But my plan means that if time or weather means i can't change it when i intend to there is no harm done as the oil is more than capable of running much longer whilst still providing good protection.

I do tend to run the filter more than one oci now though. Not longer than the filter was originally intended for but more than one oci certainly.

I fully understand that 3k mile or similar oci have been the norm in NA for many years.

North American consumer would rather change an inferior product more often. That is fine.

But lets not kid ourselves that mineral/dino is a comparable product to synthetic lubes. Wether they be full, part, semi or blend.

The only mineral/dino product widely available in the UK is GTX and it doesn't meet the specs of most modern vehicle as the available product is only A3/B3. Which rules out anything but very old diesels.

At such a short OCI i would still venture to say that a quality conventional is the equal to a synthetic. But i'm not trying to change your mind. You are deffinately entitled to your opinion. BTW: How is the new Renault Sport Clio twin clutch being received in the UK? I have read in EVO and seen on Chris Harris On Cars that some don't like the change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Remember, though, your vehicles have different specifications and therefore different OCIs based upon those specifications. Many vehicles in North America aren't hard on oil and have short warranty mandated OCIs (even more a few years back). If the "superior" product doesn't provide a ROI, there's not a lot of point.

My F-150 needs a boutique lube as much as I need a Bentley to go grocery shopping.

Absolutely Garak,

You can only use what you have. We use what we are spec'd to use according to our manuals and lube limitations. It isnt as if cars in NA don't see 200,000+ miles on the lesser oils available.

In my sig is a vehicle with a factory spec of 3k miles on M1 0W-40 oil. This is strictly due to fuel dilution issues.

We all get to use whatever we want. It's only when we start trying to tell others what to use that we need 'proof' of the benefit.

Otherwise, we all have freedom to choose...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In my sig is a vehicle with a factory spec of 3k miles on M1 0W-40 oil. This is strictly due to fuel dilution issues.

We all get to use whatever we want. It's only when we start trying to tell others what to use that we need 'proof' of the benefit.

Otherwise, we all have freedom to choose...

+1

At such a short OCI i would still venture to say that a quality conventional is the equal to a synthetic. But i'm not trying to change your mind. You are deffinately entitled to your opinion. BTW: How is the new Renault Sport Clio twin clutch being received in the UK? I have read in EVO and seen on Chris Harris On Cars that some don't like the change.

There have been reports of some glitches with the double clutch box. Some also feel that the easiest solution would have been to have a manual option available.

Like many cars it had now "grown up" and lost the edge that it used to have.

Had a sit in a nore sedate version when in a dealer a couple of months ago and it has decent room and the interior feels better quality than previous Clios.

I suspect it will be exceptionally safe as all modern Renaults are.

There have been reports of some glitches with the double clutch box. Some also feel that the easiest solution would have been to have a manual option available.

Like many cars it had now "grown up" and lost the edge that it used to have.

Had a sit in a nore sedate version when in a dealer a couple of months ago and it has decent room and the interior feels better quality than previous Clios.

I suspect it will be exceptionally safe as all modern Renaults are.

Long live the Clio Williams - giant killer.

D.I., oci more important than oil type?

Changing oil on time is always more important than oil type
01.gif

Last edited:
^ +1

There is a reason OEMs recommend higher than 3K OCIs with properly specced oil.

Change oil at OEM intervals with confidence.

1 of my vehicles, 2010 2.4L GDI, manual recommends 7.5k OCIs for normal service.
Been doing 5-6k OCIs on PP and Kendall full synthetic. Since I'm short of Kendall for next OC, I'll be back to PP (have PP stash) next OC. I struck out a few times not finding PU locally OTC.
May be times if I get lazy I'll push to 7k, but if I was doing 3k intervals, for sure I'd stick to a conventional.

Something nobody's mentioned:

You should be running Top Tier Gasoline, which was specifically designed for high-pressure injectors by Toyota, GM, Honda, et cetera. The injectors kept clogging (and costing carmakers warranty repairs) on the minimum EPA requirements.

The DI motor in my Mazdaspeed 3 gets a 7,500 mile OCI using M1 5W-30. UOAs indicate no issues with wear or fuel dilution; Blackstone even suggested trying a 10,000 mile run, but I'm sticking with the OEM interval.

Just to provide some perspective, the UK uses miles, not kilometers, yes?

I was lucky enough to purchase 55+ qts of oil ( Castrol EDGE 0w30, 5w30, Valvoline Durablend 10w30 and Kendall GT-1 synblend 10w30) this week while AutoZone had their crazy $1 or $3 per qt clearance sale going on. So I will be using synthetic or synthetic blends for the next few years. But even with the 0w30 GC, my oci will not exceed 5k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Just to provide some perspective, the UK uses miles, not kilometers, yes?

I'm pretty sure the United Kingdom is on the metric system,so unless he is converting his units to miles from kms then posting I'm going to lean towards he's using kms.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The DI motor in my Mazdaspeed 3 gets a 7,500 mile OCI using M1 5W-30. UOAs indicate no issues with wear or fuel dilution; Blackstone even suggested trying a 10,000 mile run, but I'm sticking with the OEM interval.

Ha. So you paid them to check the oils condition and chose to ignore the advice they gave you.
Sounds like money well spent to me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Ha. So you paid them to check the oils condition and chose to ignore the advice they gave you.
Sounds like money well spent to me.

I have to apologize; I assumed that everyone in this thread had a basic understanding of UOAs and knew that UOAs can be utilized for more than simply determining an appropriate OCI. I am also using the UOAs to monitor the condition of the engine as well as the impact of differing track and street driving conditions on the oil that I am using. So yes, for my purposes the money was well spent.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I have to apologize; I assumed that everyone in this thread had a basic understanding of UOAs and knew that UOAs can be utilized for more than simply determining an appropriate OCI. I am also using the UOAs to monitor the condition of the engine as well as the impact of differing track and street driving conditions on the oil that I am using. So yes, for my purposes the money was well spent.

UOA's IMO are hit or miss at best at determining the condition of an engine. We had a well respected member here [BuickGN or something like that] who posted good UOA reports and shortly after had an engine bearing let go. Upon tearing down the engine the condition of his bearings indicated they were shot. Maybe someone can chime in and elaborate a bit more, since it's been quite a while, and I might have missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back