CVTs love or hate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's Prius is fine. I ride a newer E350 commuter van with a 6 speed traditional tranny and it just slightly changes the pitch of the engine roar when we try to go places.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I didn't watch the video but it shows a CT200h which has the same transmission as the prius. This is not a CVT.

My scooter has the original CVT - variator, centrifual clutch and a belt. Simple, effective and nearly bullet proof. Fitting them to cars made them complicated and prone to failure.

It isn't a matter of whether one loves or hates CVT transmissions.
It's a matter of their becoming ubiquitous in many new models.
You want a Forester?
Did you want the CVT or the CVT?
While there is still a manual available, good luck finding one and current Subaru sticks are said to be truly awful to use anyway.
Do I like the CVT?
I've not driven the car much but I did drive it one on long weekend trip and it seemed pretty okay to me.
The goal is to achieve really tall overall gearing in top at cruising speeds and the CVT is one way to get there.
The other route would be a conventional automatic with a whole bunch of gears that might not prove any more durable and reliable in service than a decent CVT.
Also, the constant shifting in something like one of the fleet Fusions we have at work gets tiresome, although it does support very tall overall gearing in top for a 2.5 liter NA four, just as our Subaru's CVT does.

This Civic CVT is not all bad, very connected rarely confused, more modes might make it better, have only 2..actually I'd be happiest without the fake shifts just give it to me straight up CVT would be a great mode.

I only have limited experience of CVT transmissions.

I personally don't like the way they hold the revs.

But that is just a personal thing and i have only driven 2.

A 2007 Prius and a 1988 Ford Fiesta CVT which was a rare car that shared the CVT trans from the Nissan Micra

Only CVT I've driven is in my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L. Yuck. I think it would have more power with a regular auto. Too slow to wind up.

It was making a really loud whining noise up until 60k, a fluid change fixed that. For now.

The wife's 2014 Nissan Rogue is our first ever CVT based car. I'm not a big fan but it does seem to work OK most of the time if you can get used to the "rubber band effect". It does not help that the car is very under-powered IMHO. I change my OEM CVT fluid every 30K miles after discussing it with my dealership (~$103 at the dealership). I also have a 10yr/120K bumper-to-bumper warranty "just in case".

I think a good 6 or 8 speed "normal" automatic transmission would be fine.

I really like the CVT in my Altima. The reason I bought the Altima was that it gave my back the best support of any mid size sedan that I tried.

I am quite a fan of the CVT in my Outback. With 97k miles to date, I haven't had any problem. And I really prefer how a CVT does not "shift". This is the way an automatic transmission should work. Smooth. Effortless. The driver should never be aware of the transmission searching for the right gear.

I'm quite frustrated that the auto companies caved to the whiners and have programmed in artificial "shift" points into newer CVTs. This is a real turnoff for me, and I am quite concerned what it will be like. I guess I should go test drive a car with one, so I know.

Had one in a 2013 Nissan Rogue that we purchased new. Drove great. Even made a trip through the Smoky Mountains with it and had no issues at all. However, my problem with them is that it seems no one rebuilds them and Nissan told me it was something like $5,000 for a replacement. Traded it off for something AWD and with a traditional automatic that will hopefully last 200k and can be rebuilt if it doesn't make it that far.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
.......my problem with them is that it seems no one rebuilds them and Nissan told me it was something like $5,000 for a replacement. Traded it off for something AWD and with a traditional automatic that will hopefully last 200k and can be rebuilt if it doesn't make it that far.

Problem is, no dealer rebuilds transmissions of any kind unless it's known issue and easy to get at component. I'd guess that even a transmission shop wouldn't be capable of rebuilding most, if not all late model, too many speed ATs anyway. They pull and replace.

I guess my dad is a rare breed. He used to rebuild Transmissions all the time along with Engines and he was a pro at car electrical systems. He could put in after market remote starters in with security system bypass modules in about an hour. He had it down to a science.

I'm sad that I'm loosing him to Cancer. He's a brilliant man.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I didn't watch the video but it shows a CT200h which has the same transmission as the prius. This is not a CVT.

The Prius doesn’t have a CVT box?

I was told itbdid.

What kind of Box does it’s have? In my limited experience it certainly behaved like a CVT.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

The Prius doesn’t have a CVT box?

I was told itbdid.

What kind of Box does it’s have? In my limited experience it certainly behaved like a CVT.

It's a set of planetary gears coupled between the gas engine and electric motor that performs like a CVT. There's no belts, chains or moving sheaves in it.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I'm quite frustrated that the auto companies caved to the whiners and have programmed in artificial "shift" points into newer CVTs. This is a real turnoff for me, and I am quite concerned what it will be like.

+1 It completely defeats the purpose of a CVT. I'll be all for them once they're more reliable than a regular auto.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I am quite a fan of the CVT in my Outback.

I'm quite frustrated that the auto companies caved to the whiners and have programmed in artificial "shift" points into newer CVTs. This is a real turnoff for me, and I am quite concerned what it will be like. I guess I should go test drive a car with one, so I know.

I quite agree. So far so good on the very little time I’ve had on my new Civic (my first CVT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back