Any of you ever lose the "love" for your hobby?

I am hating must everything I have done more than twice in my life. there isn't the satisfaction of completion or accomplishment like there used to be I do stuff because it needs to be done rather than loving to do it.

My family isn't known for having hobbies, although gpa did do some wood work and crafts. He was the only one. I do some wrenching, working on the house and traveling with the RV. Everything tends to turn south lately and starting to test why I do anything. Makes me want to just stay home and set on the couch. Maybe I just need to stop trying to make things perfect and spend time on leisure activities. That's what I'm hoping to do this year not starting any big projects and getting some of the small stuff done while it's colder, although where I'm at mother nature is doing the three step.. winter, summer, spring bring on back ya'll spring winter summer!

One thing for sure, if you buy new vehicles, you probably won’t be wrenching on them until they exit the warranty period plus a number of years. It could be ten years before it needs any else other than fluid changes.

Collector cars and old trucks seem to be more fun to work on than Church Lady cars. I’m also thinking age creeps up and some are losing the confidence factor. What happens if I snap a bolt?

When everything started to cost $5000 to do, it stopped being fun having a fast car.

Transmission rebuild and new guts? $5k

Custom rear axle and suspension? $5k

Heads, cam, intake, internals work and tuning? $5k (probably more now)

Repaint and new seals? $5k

Seats, cage, interior re-do? Not $5k but close.

Pulling apart oil dripping heavy stuff when it's -20* isn't exactly my idea of fun.
Just has to be done, so it is what it is. Don't trust most others and don't want to pay $200+hr either.

I don't have a truck at the moment and the Jeep isn't really drivable.

I bought a 4 wheeler over the summer and haven't even looked at the Jeep since October of last year.

I used to love offroading the jeep, working on it.

The 4 wheeler is where it is for me now.

Once I get a truck , I might get back into the Jeep

At 67 I still enjoy owning entertaining vehicles, instructing at HPDEs, motorcycle riding, and building scale models. I probably won't tackle another full restoration like my 1973 Bavaria, but I could possibly take on a rolling restoration like I did on the 1975 '02.

Yes!

I’m pretty much done doing much more than basic maintenance on our cars. I’ll do an exhaust on my daughter’s Camry as a last hurrah. My knees and lower back can’t take it anymore. Not wanting to do an engine swap is why I sold my YJ, but it took my wife pointing out how fruitful my language and tone had become while working on the Jeep to realize I actually didn’t like wrenching anymore. Still love Jeeps, but saving for one that won’t need major work.

I went back to an old love of restoring 1/16 scale Ertl tractors from the 90’s and earlier. After restoring 4 of them I found it boring, and ran out of space anyway. I have around 30 tractors total.

Fishing is fun, shooting is fun, archery is fun, but quickly gets boring.

Trying to find that next cool thing to do!!

Back