Any of you ever lose the "love" for your hobby?

When my 60's cars are running rough, it's all about a set of points and adjusting the idle mixture screws.
I still don't like drum brakes, though. And bleeding C3 disc brakes is impossible without a power bleeder.

Far simpler...

Reactions: hrv
When my 60's cars are running rough, it's all about a set of points and adjusting the idle mixture screws.
I still don't like drum brakes, though. And bleeding C3 disc brakes is impossible without a power bleeder.

Far simpler...
I had a 1964 Corvette with a 365 hp 327 with solid lifters. Spark plugs lasted maybe 5000-6000 miles. Mechanical points needed frequent attention. Distributor cap, maybe 12,000 miles. Ignition wires, 30,000 miles at the most. Some of this improved when I attached a capacitor discharge ignition system that used the points only to trigger the capacitive discharge. Then there were the valve adjustments.

On my 2022 Corvette, Ignition is now completely solid state. Iridium plugs last 100,000 miles. No fooling with a carburetor. If an ignition coil is giving trouble, a scanner tells you which one needs attention. In 7500 miles, no issues or warnings.

Maybe some of the tasks used to be simpler, but you had to do them at least 10 times more often.

I'm just wondering. When I had my 3800 powered Buick I used to wrench on it every weekend. I kept it in pristine condition. Now that I have my 2012 Honda Civic I have no desire to learn the car and fix it like I did with the Buick. I found a cheap mechanic who is also a friend of the family and I'm fine paying money to have him fix it.

I lost the love for wrenching... what happened?
My hobby was 10 and 11 meter radios. Only in the last yr or two have I got
a bit tired of the hobby. Still have radios in my vehicles just don't use them as much as in the past.
Started in the mid 70s and these days it's not the same anymore.
Even a fairly substantial number of truckers have quit radioing now that
they are all set up with the latest technology. But, you do still see a lot of trucks with the antennas.

Fishing, in my favourite lake they build a water ski resort with all restaurants etc. it’s not quiet place, anymore.
Inspection every VOA/UOA searching for the “perfect” oil:)

I haven't really lost my love of wrenching, so to speak, but as I've gotten older, I've slowed down. For example, what I used to do on a weekend I will now take 2-3-4 weekends to do and simply drive another car. I agree wholeheartedly that the best mechanic to work on MY vehicles is me. No one else would do or care about the OCD stuff like using an inch-pound wrench to torque the oil drain plug, or letting the hot oil drain overnight, or chasing the threads out with a tap and die when replacing a water pump. It helps me sleep at night knowing stuff is done right to my own vehicles; it is NOT my goal to do it quickly, it is my goal to do it WELL.

My feelings exactly. Now I often say f##$$$!! it, tomorrow is another day. Instead of driving myself nuts to get it done now.
speaking of that, I was over at another of my retiree's friends this morning, and we were actually arguing what day it was....
I told him it was Saturday, and he was insistent it wasn't.
Then we both decided it really didn't make any difference what day it was.

speaking of that, I was over at another of my retiree's friends this morning, and we were actually arguing what day it was....
I told him it was Saturday, and he was insistent it wasn't.
Then we both decided it really didn't make any difference what day it was.
I hear ya. My wife retired in August, I work once in a while if I feel like it. My wife and I often ask each other what day of the week it is. LOL Truth be told it's a great feeling, and I can always find something to do if I choose to.

Miss the day of Points plugs condenser every 3000 miles along with a oil change....Not really I would not want to do all that now...but back when I was young it was fun...

Miss the day of Points plugs condenser every 3000 miles along with a oil change....Not really I would not want to do all that now...but back when I was young it was fun...
An advantage of points and condenser ignition is that it was simple to diagnose and the parts were dirt cheap.
I still have a dwell meter and a timing light.
You could pretty well eyeball the points gap after a few times and then use the dwell meter to confirm your judgement.
To me points triggering an electronic setup was the worst of all possible worlds. I had an old Mercedes W115 230 with that setup.
We also had an '81 Vanagon in which the points ran the ignition and triggered the FI.
Memories of headaches now long passed.

An advantage of points and condenser ignition is that it was simple to diagnose and the parts were dirt cheap.
I still have a dwell meter and a timing light.
You could pretty well eyeball the points gap after a few times and then use the dwell meter to confirm your judgement.
To me points triggering an electronic setup was the worst of all possible worlds. I had an old Mercedes W115 230 with that setup.
We also had an '81 Vanagon in which the points ran the ignition and triggered the FI.
Memories of headaches now long passed.
You are right... Just a few tools were needed and a feeler gauge. I did have a tach and dwell meter also and the good old timing light...

You are right... Just a few tools were needed and a feeler gauge. I did have a tach and dwell meter also and the good old timing light...
Heck, with a little experience you didn't even need the feeler gauge, although I have one of those with various thicknesses as well.

Reactions: hrv
I do my own wrenching but for reasons slightly different than most. Sure the cars need maintence and I can afford to farm it out. I've found finishing a job then crawling out from underneath, yet being able to move proves I'm at least 51% more alive than not.

The automotive equivalent to still being capable of fogging a mirror.

I almost garnered the motivation to put in the torque strut mount on my own but then I realized I'd need to get to my mom's shed and break out the jack.

I'll wait on the mechanic.

It's a balance for me...I do the basic stuff (all fluid changes, brakes, spark plugs, detailing, etc) and could attempt more major projects but time is the most valuable asset. I have a wife and child and I'm a homeowner so I have many other things to spend my time on than wrenching in the garage although I enjoy it. I think what I enjoy more is the feeling of knowing that I'm caught up on everything!

I'm just wondering. When I had my 3800 powered Buick I used to wrench on it every weekend. I kept it in pristine condition. Now that I have my 2012 Honda Civic I have no desire to learn the car and fix it like I did with the Buick. I found a cheap mechanic who is also a friend of the family and I'm fine paying money to have him fix it.

I lost the love for wrenching... what happened?

I really loved to wrench on my 6.9L diesel truck, was 1986 f-250, and then the fleet of crown vics. Since then ive kinda got tires of wrenching. Just the basics now.

I just watched a video on how to replace this torque strut mount and it's super easy. Not worth shelling out 60 bucks or more.

It comes down to $$$. Wrenching is more of a necessity than a hobby. I don’t have the money to mod, maintain cosmetics, or spend money on bling, but I can’t afford to skip wrenching altogether.

I’ve found other hobbies that work for me. Ones that require less $$$. How about fictional novel writing? Thats almost free. It’s a hobby I love because I do it even if I never make $$$ off of it.

Back