[Cut Open] Purolator PL14612

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off of my mom's '14 CX-5 with the 2.5l, ran for 3,929 miles and just under 6 months. Date code is F07E23E2 = built on June 23, 2013. I'm surprised by what I found. I'm not one to say Puro filters are trash, actually I think quite the opposite. Some may remember that several months back I posted this thread of a cut open Quaker State filter from my Monte Carlo, this dissection showed that the filter held up beautifully. However, this P1 didn't do so hot. On the upside, the ADBV did it's job great, I've had it draining since Sunday night and as soon as I pierced the shell of the filter oil gushed right out, probably 3 or 4 ounces came out. The pleats are nice and tight and no tears.

However, the metal end caps popped right off of the ends! I took the shell off, looked at the filter and started messing with the bypass valve. I lifted the bypass valve off the filter and off too came the metal end cap. Well hmmm, ok, must've had an issue in the production but everything else looks fine. I took a closer look and notice that there's actually a plastic type end cap that was under the metal one. Is this perhaps a new thing that they did on the P1s before switching to their new lineup? Well that wouldn't make sense judging by the build date... I lifted the filter off of ADBV to inspect the valve, when I turned it right side up and held it by the end cap, that one too fell right off! Hmmm definitely some kind of issue going on I think.

Below are the pictures, can't wait for the comments on this one...

Last edited:
The plastic type endcaps are glue. The pressure from the leaf spring holds the media within the metal endcaps

It does look pretty good , by the way

RamFan: looks good to me
smile.gif

What did you replace it with? What oil did you use?

The 14612 doesn't seem to suffer from the tearing media, mainly because of its short length relative to the 14610, the worst offender. Kind of like an I-beam.

Originally Posted By: Plawan
The plastic type endcaps are glue. The pressure from the leaf spring holds the media within the metal endcaps

+1 Was this a troll?

Pop goes the end caps. Another 'feature' of the old Purolators.

As mentioned that is the glue holding the media not plastic endcaps, but it is a great illustration of why metal endcaps offer not the slightest advantage in actual application in an oil filter.

Once assembled the metal endcaps in this filter were not doing a darn thing.

Media portion looks very good. Thanks for the cut and post.

Well sheeeet. did you advise your mom to trade that CX-5 now before it blows? but the pleats aren't wavy, nothing i hate more than a fiber end cap than those wavy pleats. Or those new Wix with the tiny holes on the center tube. You seen those? Or those darn ecores. The ones that always seem to work but dang it plastic in the middle. Just saying... You guys lose a lot of sleep over the not picking of an oil filter. OMG look how much glue they used to fix the media to the awesome metal end cap. What if that breaks off and fouls my engine....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Plawan

+1 Was this a troll?

No, not a troll post. Look at my post history and you'll see that.

I guess I must have not noticed that this is a common "feature" of P1s.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What did you replace it with? What oil did you use?

The 14612 doesn't seem to suffer from the tearing media, mainly because of its short length relative to the 14610, the worst offender. Kind of like an I-beam.

Replaced with MaxLife 0w20 and Napa ProSelect filter.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
3k miles
spankme2.gif

1) Just under 4,000 miles
2) It's under warranty, so it does a 6k/6mo oci

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
As mentioned that is the glue holding the media not plastic endcaps, but it is a great illustration of why metal endcaps offer not the slightest advantage in actual application in an oil filter.

Once assembled the metal endcaps in this filter were not doing a darn thing.

Media portion looks very good. Thanks for the cut and post.

+100000000000

The endcaps were still in the right place when you cut the filter open, so I don't see a problem here. They did their job, and the springs did their job keeping them in place.

The glue was keeping the pleats in place, and the endcaps were keeping the glue in place.

I see no problem here. The filter media looks to still be straight and intact. Thanks for the C&P

this is why fram doesnt like metal end cap ,it is insanelly hard to have the same glued performance with metal vs the media fram usually use.only reason fram made ultra is to satisfy everybody but fram favor the toughguard

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
only reason fram made ultra is to satisfy everybody but fram favor the toughguard

Much easier and more reliable to pot two media layers and a wire backing to metal end caps than glue to fiber end caps ... that's is why the Ultra has metal end caps.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
SirTanon - So, if the end caps are loose, wouldn't this create opportunities for bypass?

I've wondered about this myself. I mean you can clearly see in the pictures that the inner surface of the metal end cap is covered in oil as is the mating surface of the glue/potting material. If it was actually sealed from just the spring pressure these two surfaces wouldn't be completely covered in oil. How much could pass through is another story. There is definitely a way to make the end caps to keep them from falling off as seen here though... however it would cost more for one, and for two I don't give away ideas for free to large rich companies haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back