[Cut Open] Purolator PL14612

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the end cap is totally loose, but still held tightly together by the leaf spring in the dome end, I think there would still be a very small amount of oil leaking between the end cap and potted material due to the delta-p across the element. It's probably a very small amount though.

I accept and go by what Jim Allen said about endcap poppers when he posted here. As long as the potting intact and the leaf spring holding the element firmly, ie. as designed, then there is no oil bypass. Looking at the potting here, all looks as it should be and no loose element noted, so no oil bypass.

And IMO, no different than the significantly less, narrow area in the Fram fiber offerings covering the centertube ends. Even when the centertube ends exposed on dissection backers say it's covered during use with leaf spring function before dissection. I don't happen to accept that view in every case that have seen posted here, but if one unconditionally accepts that point of view, same would have to apply here.

That said, ideally one would prefer not to see/have an endcap popper but if conditions as described, highly doubtful it presents a functional issue.

See, I don't think that's an "okay" scenario whatsoever.

If the end cap bond on a high-dollar oil filter can't survive 4k miles of regular driving, what else doesn't work??

To say the seal was still "okay"....you're assuming the leaf-spring was applying perfect symmetrical force to the perfectly parallel end caps.

It shouldn't happen. Period. Either use the right adhesive for the materials and/or surface finish, or try something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back