[Cut Open] Honda 15400-RTA-003 21,122 Miles on Filter

Honda 15400-RTA-003 (factory filter) off of my 2020 Honda Civic K20C2.

No tears present, and all pleats are straight. ADBV was very pliable, no cuts. Filter media was not as soft as new (as expected) but did not fall apart or crumble. End caps on good and did not fall off. No excessive glue.

The damage to the top end cap happened while I was cutting the can open. Oil filter looks extremely good for 21,122 miles (March 2020 - March 30,2021) in my opinion.

Ran filter for 2x Maintenance Minder cycles, oil as follows: Factory fill to ~7k, NAPA Full Syn 0W-20 (did not reset MM) changed at 10,901 to M1 EP 0W-20 up until 21,122.

Filter Components:
Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

ADBV Soft and pliable, held oil well since when I cut the can open a lot more came out.
adbv3.jpg

Bypass on bottom end cap:
filterwithbypass.jpg

Bypass indentation/sealing mark on bottom (dome end) end cap:

20210330_184923.jpg

Top of filter/threaded end:

topoffilter.jpg

Inside of can (was not dumped or cleaned, found to be very clean inside, I was quite surprised since many other Cut Opens on here seem to have gunk in the bottom):
insideofcan.jpg

Filter Media (note: damage to end cap done during can opening):
filtermedia1.jpg

I double checked for any tears at the crimp (larger gap) in this picture, and did not find any.
filtermedia2.jpg

filtermedia3.jpg

Thank you for the cut and post! Glad to see someone run a factory oil filter for 20k :)

Why didn't you reset the MM? :unsure:

What did you replace the filter with?

Thank you for the cut and post! Glad to see someone run a factory oil filter for 20k :)

Why didn't you reset the MM? :unsure:

What did you replace the filter with?

I did not reset the MM at 7k miles because the vehicle is under warranty and I want the maintenance that I do to appear to follow what Honda recommends (leave Factory oil in until it says to, which I did not) incase any warranty issues arise.

I replaced this filter with a Honda 15400-PLM-A02 (the Fram/Honeywell filter). I plan on running it 2x MM and cutting open as well.

This is the Mahle-Tennex made oil filter. Made in Japan or USA? Unlike the mentioned Fram/First Brands A02 next up, relatively speaking not very common. The latter seen as factory filter on Hondas often now.

As for warranty considerations using OF twice, all the Honda dealers I know replace the OF with each oil change. That being the case, difficult for me to imagine replacing OF every time 'if one chooses', any kind of warranty concern. That said, following the OM rec of every other time as done here would also maintain warranty. Just a matter of choice. I've used an XG7317 and BD+3323 two Honda MM cycle ocis several times.

Filter looks fine.

Thanks for c&p.

Last edited:
This is the Mahle-Tennex made oil filter. Made in Japan or USA? Unlike the mentioned Fram/First Brands A02 next up, relatively speaking not very common. The latter seen as factory filter on Hondas often now.

As for warranty considerations using OF twice, all the Honda dealers I know replace the OF with each oil change. That being the case, difficult for me to imagine replacing OF every time 'if one chooses', any kind of warranty concern. That said, following the OM rec of every other time as done here would also maintain warranty. Just a matter of choice. I've used an XG7317 and BD+3323 two Honda MM cycle ocis several times.

Filter looks fine.

Thanks for c&p.

Yes, this is the Mahle-Tennex filter. I did not look for a country of origin. I think that Honda uses the 003 as it's factory filter (I haven't seen an A01 in a long time) and then the dealers all stock the A02.

I have thought about using other filters, but for the first 60k miles I will use Honda filters while it is under powertrain warranty.

Changing the filter on this vehicle is very easy but if I can change it half as often and it still operates properly, then it saves me time, money, use half as many oil filters, and half as many dry starts in the engine's lifespan.

Thanks for sharing.That's a lot of work. But you didn't look in the pleats for metal? The reason for cutting open the filter is to check the condition of the motor not the oil filter. Not changing the filter every time to save $$ ? If Honda engineers say to change filter every time you can trust them. To save $$ You can buy Honda filters bulk cheaper online with the crush washers. Change with every oil change to be safe. My 91 Accord LX has 378000 miles on it and I still change the filter with the oil every time.

Thanks for sharing.That's a lot of work. But you didn't look in the pleats for metal? The reason for cutting open the filter is to check the condition of the motor not the oil filter. Not changing the filter every time to save $$ ? If Honda engineers say to change filter every time you can trust them. To save $$ You can buy Honda filters bulk cheaper online with the crush washers. Change with every oil change to be safe. My 91 Accord LX has 378000 miles on it and I still change the filter with the oil every time.

Honda tells you NOT to change the filter every time.

Do you still trust them?

Plenty of reasons to cut a filter open, especially one you've never seen.

I do not have the filter any longer, and this was from this Spring. I did look in the pleats for metal, I do not recall excessive metal or much at all considering this was on during "break in".

The vehicle had only 20k miles on it, I wasn't concerned about the engine but wanted to see how the filter holds up to Honda's recommendation of replacement every other Maintenance Minder popup, for my driving, this was 21k miles.

I currently have an A02 filter on, and plan on cutting that one open at 2x MM (that's the "cheapy FRAM" clone filter that dealers sell). I'm sure it will be ok too.

I'm curious how you've determined that it's still "operating properly"?

Was not loaded up with particles, ADBV still pliable, no tears.

Same way people that waste a filter cutting it open at 3,000 miles.

I am not concerned. Although it's a "FRAM" to many, it's made very well and I have no concerns.

'53 Stude had a tough guard cut open at close to 30k miles, and was still functional.

As long as a filter isn't loaded up to where it does not allow enough oil to flow (bypass will still open allowing oil flow, I suppose) and no tears/issues, there's technically no reason to change it besides as maintenance to not allow problems to arise.

Honda 15400-RTA-003 (factory filter) off of my 2020 Honda Civic K20C2.

No tears present, and all pleats are straight. ADBV was very pliable, no cuts. Filter media was not as soft as new (as expected) but did not fall apart or crumble. End caps on good and did not fall off. No excessive glue.

The damage to the top end cap happened while I was cutting the can open. Oil filter looks extremely good for 21,122 miles (March 2020 - March 30,2021) in my opinion.

Ran filter for 2x Maintenance Minder cycles, oil as follows: Factory fill to ~7k, NAPA Full Syn 0W-20 (did not reset MM) changed at 10,901 to M1 EP 0W-20 up until 21,122.

Filter Components:
View attachment 51973
View attachment 51974

ADBV Soft and pliable, held oil well since when I cut the can open a lot more came out.
View attachment 51976

Bypass on bottom end cap:
View attachment 51977

Bypass indentation/sealing mark on bottom (dome end) end cap:

View attachment 51979

Top of filter/threaded end:

View attachment 51980

Inside of can (was not dumped or cleaned, found to be very clean inside, I was quite surprised since many other Cut Opens on here seem to have gunk in the bottom):
View attachment 51982

Filter Media (note: damage to end cap done during can opening):
View attachment 51983

I double checked for any tears at the crimp (larger gap) in this picture, and did not find any.
View attachment 51984
View attachment 51985
Very nice Unless I missed it; what oil and filter went back in and on?

Thank You

Back