Cruze Diesel hitting dealer lots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Here is the dexos2 list from GM:

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos2licensedbrands.html

I know about that list. About 95% of those oils are for the rest of the world, not North America. I want to know what oils you can buy at an auto parts store here in North America. This will be the first GM car needing a dexos2 spec oil in NA. The diesel Duramax still requires a CJ-4 oil.

It looks like the diesel will only come with the auto.
frown.gif

Castrol Edge and M1 ESP should be pretty easy to come by, no?

No, Ive only found Mobil 1 ESP at Pep Boys-at $12 a quart, and the Castrol Professional 5W30 at a VW dealership for $8. 50 a quart.

Since the Chevy Cruze Diesel is now for sale. What dexos2 oils are out there on the market in the US and Canada? Does Mobil make the ACDelco dexos2 oil like they do the ACDelco dexos1?

2014_Chevrolet_Cruze_Diesel_engine.jpg

Is that big canister looking thing in the front the DPF that everyone says is a big maintenance item? I've never seen one before and wondered what size it would be.

Also, what's the point of utilizing a cartridge oil filter if it's stuck on the bottom backside of the engine and horizontal? Why not put it up top and allow for the oil change to be done without climbing under the vehicle? Bad move, Chevy.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Since the Chevy Cruze Diesel is now for sale. What dexos2 oils are out there on the market in the US and Canada? Does Mobil make the ACDelco dexos2 oil like they do the ACDelco dexos1?

2014_Chevrolet_Cruze_Diesel_engine.jpg

Is that big canister looking thing in the front the DPF that everyone says is a big maintenance item? I've never seen one before and wondered what size it would be.

Also, what's the point of utilizing a cartridge oil filter if it's stuck on the bottom backside of the engine and horizontal? Why not put it up top and allow for the oil change to be done without climbing under the vehicle? Bad move, Chevy.
DPF is no more a maintenance item than a catalytic converter.

Interesting so this is the off spring that was product by Fiat and GM. I guess something good did come of that failed partnership.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Danno
EGR delete...hmmm.

Removing emissions equipment doesn't fly on a major (call it high visibility) commercial fleet.

No, but it can be done so that it looks like the components are still working
wink.gif
It doesn't throw a CEL either.

I bet that loophole won't be there for long.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: LotI
It looks like the diesel will only come with the auto.
frown.gif

And it's porky at 3475 pounds

shocked2.gif
That is more than 600lbs heavier than the Corolla.

And it pays wonderful dividends. The two I have driven were tight and very substantial vehicles. Then there's the issue of crash survival.

I'll take the Chevy.

In C&D's first test, they got 58 mpg at 55 mph, 54 mpg at 65 mph, and 43 mpg at 75 mph. FWIW, the test they did was by their own admission not very scientific.

Oh, and I also wish they offered this with an MT.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And it pays wonderful dividends. The two I have driven were tight and very substantial vehicles. Then there's the issue of crash survival.

I'll take the Chevy.

The Corolla has a lower fatality rate than the midsized Malibu according to IIHS data. There would would most likely be a significant spread if the data was by miles driven instead of using registrations. Heavier does not always mean lower risk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tgferg67

I'll take the Chevy.

The Corolla has a lower fatality rate than the midsized Malibu according to IIHS data. There would would most likely be a significant spread if the data was by miles driven instead of using registrations. Heavier does not always mean lower risk.

And PHYSICS simply cannot be ignored either!

And almost 3500 pounds, too.
2500 pounds with 150 hp would almost be fun. I could see pumping the diesel up to 200 hp and doing suspension mods to make an economical track car. (What the heck, in Europe, VW sells a GT diesel version of the Golf.)
But with the car weighing 3500 pounds, there's just not a lot of fun to be had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
2500 pounds with 150 hp would almost be fun. I could see pumping the diesel up to 200 hp and doing suspension mods to make an economical track car. (What the heck, in Europe, VW sells a GT diesel version of the Golf.)

Exactly. Without at least 300-350 hp the thing is going to be sluggish, maybe they'll have a gymkhana option?

Have you guys ever driven a small diesel (i.e. Volkswagen TDI)? There's nothing "sluggish" about them... 151hp may not seem like much in the, but the Cruze also returns 264 lb-ft of torque out of an engine that nets you 45mpg without trying. You get the power of a v6, the driving dyanmics of a small 4-cyl, with the fuel economy of a hybrid. Have you guys driven one? Please reserve judgement until then... because being a former TDI owner, I can assure you that they aren't "sluggish" by any means.

I just had to jump in on this convo because you guys are focusing on the wrong things... Diesel engines aren't trying to make a ton of HP, they are all about the torque figure. Stock, this car is a beast in torque when you consider its engine displacement & the economy it returns. Remove the emissions control systems & retune the car will net you another 70ish lb-ft of torque (and another 40hp or so). Oh, and you'll get better fuel economy too.

Last edited:
The Honda Civic hybrid with a 1.6 diesel engine gets about 65 miles per gallon in India. It is ridiculous there are not more diesel engines here in United States; Especially for small SUVs and smaller pickup trucks; Actually all passenger cars should have a diesel option.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
The Honda Civic hybrid with a 1.6 diesel engine gets about 65 miles per gallon in India. It is ridiculous there are not more diesel engines here in United States; Especially for small SUVs and smaller pickup trucks; Actually all passenger cars should have a diesel option.

There's a few reasons, one being consumers. So many people.. you say they should get a diesel powered car and they say: "but they stink and the fuel costs more!"

Much like the problem with 4cyls.. a lot of people won't go near them because they think they "aren't powerful enough". I had a 91 Corolla with over 150k miles on the 1.6L 4AFE (16V DOHC fuel injected) and I had it up to 80mph once on accident. I was on a long stretch of interstate and finally looked down at my speedometer. I dropped back to 70 immediately... haha. The car was far from straining at 80mph. It could have gone up to 90, if not 100 before it would have really been straining.

Combine diesel and 4cyl and you have an almost impossible product to sell in the US to average consumers. Sure, there's the Cummins 4BT widely used in delivery trucks in the US but that's not the average, everyday consumer market.

I'd love to put a Cummins 4BT in my motorhome in place of the 360 but the TF A727 tranny might also have to be swapped. Plus the thousands of dollars to swap isn't worth it hardly unless the existing engine goes bad.

Exactly. Without at least 300-350 hp the thing is going to be sluggish, maybe they'll have a gymkhana option?

335d weighs 3800lbs, had 265 hp and it's hardly sluggish.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

335d weighs 3800lbs, had 265 hp and it's hardly sluggish.

Nice car! That's what 425 foot-pounds of torque will do for you....
19.gif

This is kind of a brave move for GM as it will be for the couple of dozen people who actually buy one of these cars.
Remember the Liberty diesel?
How many were actually sold in the US?
Remember the days when you could get diesels in a whole herd of US market cars and light trucks?
Remember how GM poisoned the market with its really bad light duty diesels back in the day?
The average retail customer is going to do the math in his head, look at the potential savings over many years and miles and then step on over to the gassers, just as buyers tend to do with VWs.
How many people have posted that they wish Honda would make an Accord diesel available in the US, or that Subaru should offer their HO diesel here?
Why do you suppose Honda and Subaru don't?
Their research indicates that there isn't a market here.
Everyone says they'd like to have a diesel car and then almost nobody shows up with their checkbook to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back