crumbling purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, i had posted in the PCMO section about my uncles neglected 04 hemi, i had pulled a puro classic 14670 off of it that had been on for at least 7-10k miles. i cut it open, and as i was trying to look in the between the pleats the filter media crumbled apart in my hand. all the media came apart until it was just the steel center tube. Was it the mileage that did this or all these filters really junk now, with all the tears and whatnot? The media was clean, no sludge or gunk.

I would think the white can would not last for that long of an OCI but I have no proof of that.

This is all very disappointing (all this bad media talk) I have a case of the P1's and have used them for a few years now, even on my tractors....I guess it's back to only WIX for me.......

Did you take any photos?

I would think a Classic could last that long on a clean engine. There was one posted on here that came off an Audi with a little less miles.. But like you said, it is a neglected engine so who really knows what happened. +1 on checking the date. Maybe it was on much longer than thought.

6500 miles Audi 1.8T

Last edited:
I had the same truck last year. Had 270k on it when I totalled it. Still ran like a dream,consumed no oil.

From what I've gathered here purolator is experiencing serious quality issues as far as their media is concerned.
When I first got my charger last year I bought a couple of pure ones for it. I was doing a couple of wash outs so they weren't on long and when dissected no issues were discovered so I personally have no issues with them however I feel they aren't worth the risk,especially when I can get motomaster filters which are rebadged tough guards for less that any puro.

I had to Google Motomaster and then saw that it was a Canada thing.. Lol. They sure are pretty though. Almost like a Baldwin.

The more I read these threads the worse it looks for Purolator. They don't seem to care too much about it either. If they did they have someone join this site and address our concerns. In this case silence isn't golden.

I think this whole situation is exaggerated, but not quite to the tinfoil hat level.

The problem is you cant see the problem unless you cut one open..

You do cut one open and find a tear you are going to think

did the last 40 filters also have tears..

Its kinda like when you catch a regular shoplifting.

Hes in there EVERY DAY sometimes 2-3 times a day.

you only caught him stealing once.. but then you think...

Was he stealing everytime?

Or in other words for every purolator filter thats cut open... one in millions? That has a tear is there another million out there with tears that werent discovered?

I do have 2 more pure ones I'm going to use on the 2010 accent.

Will I be buying more... probably not.. plenty of other fish in the sea(oil filters)

Last edited:
Just seems odd. If the media would crumble in your hand, why did it not disintegrate under the oil pressure?

I'll bet the issue is time rather than distance driven. I've been going with synthetic media filters rather than paper.

Think about it...paper's biodegradable.

I've ran white can purolators on my old Honda Accord for 20K miles, which is the recommended change interval by the manufacturer. They were in good shape and not "crumbling" when removed.

If what you say is true, that filter was likely on there for YEARS...

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Fram filter are the way to go until prolator get it together
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

My puro filter as previously reported had a tear but the media was definitely still pretty strong and not crumbling.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've ran white can purolators on my old Honda Accord for 20K miles, which is the recommended change interval by the manufacturer. They were in good shape and not "crumbling" when removed.

If what you say is true, that filter was likely on there for YEARS...

20K miles? I've never heard of an OCI recommended to go that long....10k is really pushing it IMO...

I rarely agree with Ram01, but what is wrong with his comment?

Originally Posted By: telecat
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Fram filter are the way to go until prolator get it together
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif