Motorcraft Filter crumbled apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open my filter today (FL1A) after only being installed for 3 weeks/500 miles. I thought I saw some metal flakes on the dipstick so decided to pop the filter and inspect. When I pulled the filter out of the can it felt extremely brittle and hard. In fact it was solid, like a lump of sugar or something- there's no way any oil was getting through that portion of the filter. When I tried to pry the folds of the filter apart to inspect in between them, the cardboard completely crumbled apart in my fingers with almost no effort! I've never seen this happen before. As I rotated it and checked all the folds of the filter I noticed that about half of it felt flexible and normal, and the other half was super hard and brittle... I'm stunned as to what could cause this to happen.

On a side note I frequently cut open and inspect oil filters due to my job working on aircraft. I sometimes cut open 6-7 filters a day, for 10 1/2 years now, and I've NEVER seen a filter do anything like this. At the same time, I've never seen a filter with such thin, flimsy, weak, filter material either. The ones that go on aircraft are about 4X thicker filter material, and the oil they use is usually straight 50 weight, but sometimes 15W50. The filters I normally inspect are Champion filters.

I've also cut open other auto filters, a few times a year, and they always had flexible media, and never as thin as this motorcrap filter was. I'm not only unimpressed with the quality of this filter, I'm kind of worried for other people that maybe a bad batch was made and sold to the public.

Probably an issue with the curing process. A defect for that (probably) run of filters ..or until the QC person discovered that the media was coming out too toasted.

"toasted"? what do you mean? They purposely "Cook" the filters during the assembly process?

The media is cured using an oven process. It's not supposed to harden it like you're describing, but I imagine that's what may occur if the line stopped or some other problem occurred in the process.

I'm just speculating. You obviously had an unusual piece of media.

where did you get the filter? if its from a dealer let them know, if you still have the receipt. can be covered under a service part warranty. if it wasnt from a dealer, then good luck.

got it from wulmart. I wouldn't be surprised if this store is purposely buying defective products- it's the worst store I've ever been in.

A similar observation ocurred several years ago by a site member on tundrasolutions.com. He cut open a new Toyota 90915-YZZB5 oil filter (recommended for the 2UZ-FE V-8) and said when he started to inspect the filter media, it started to crumble with even light touch. This filter was made in Japan by Denso. It was the OEM part for the 2000 Tundra. The only problem that I remember having with this filter was piston slap on cold starts when temps were around freezing. I switched to the PureOne PL10241 and never had a problem with piston slap again until I tried a couple of K&N oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Whoa......is this the first time you opened a filter on this rig?

By rig do you mean my truck, or the oil cutting setup I use at work? I open filters on this truck every once in a while, along with the one on my 350Z and my old pontiac.

Originally Posted By: gto78
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Whoa......is this the first time you opened a filter on this rig?

By rig do you mean my truck, or the oil cutting setup I use at work? I open filters on this truck every once in a while, along with the one on my 350Z and my old pontiac.

I meant truck - and what I was getting at is some kind of hot spot on the filter due to exhaust mani./pipe/leak....it seems very interesting it happened to INDYMAC above with a completely different filter......never seen this happen before.

Man that's an excellent point, I never even thought of that. I'll make sure it's not getting burned from the exhaust manifold. There were no obvious signs of burning on the outside of the filter, and its not real close to the exhaust pipe.

Always purchase your Motorcraft Oil Filters from the Dealer, they do so many oil canges they will be fresh out of the box and clean and you should have no worries, I think they are Purolators made to Ford specs and are an excellent filter.

At Walmart were they stuck in the back room for a while? you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back