Oil Filters

That's one thing that scares me with an Asian filter, "if" there is an issue your going through a middleman not the manufacturer..
In this case, I would rather deal with a US based middle man that has offices, warehouses, and employees here vs an unknown overseas company.

It is similar to my view on Harbor Freight Tools... sure you can probably find a lot of the same stuff on Ali Express or some other marketplace (heck, even Amazon these days). However if you have a warranty issue or worse a product safety recall... Harbor Freight will take care of it because they are subject to federal and state consumer protection laws and there's a US entity to go after if they decide not to play by the rules.

In this case, I would rather deal with a US based middle man that has offices, warehouses, and employees here vs an unknown overseas company.

It is similar to my view on Harbor Freight Tools... sure you can probably find a lot of the same stuff on Ali Express or some other marketplace (heck, even Amazon these days). However if you have a warranty issue or worse a product safety recall... Harbor Freight will take care of it because they are subject to federal and state consumer protection laws and there's a US entity to go after if they decide not to play by the rules.
Amazon, is pretty easy to deal with they will pretty much take it back if something is broke or you're not happy.. they took the TV back that I wasn't happy with.. Harbor Freight on the other hand, I have an electric impact, with the extended warranty, they couldn't find it in the system, since they upgraded it, and I didn't have the receipt, since it was gifted.. and they wouldn't do nothing..

but I have a couple of choices for the same filter basically.

I think that the same or similar filter is at Advance Auto (Carquest Premium) which is in the $7 range which is right for this type filter IMO.
Have you checked those out ?

I think that the same or similar filter is at Advance Auto (Carquest Premium) which is in the $7 range which is right for this type filter IMO.
No no yet. I just called it appears that it's made by Mann & Hummel.. my filter number is 84502.

Last edited:
No no yet. I just called it appears that it's made by Mann & Hummel.. my filter number is 84502.
I just bought a Carquest Premium a month ago for my next OCI, it is a Premium Guard made filter but it's a 85348. If you are going by pictures on the website as to the make of the filter, I'd suggest check them out in person. The picture on the website on mine reflects older stock and not the current Premium Guard made filter. So there's apparently some transition going on.

If the photo is accurate, it looks like a Purolator/M+H made filter.

1701724207192.jpg

We don't have no O'Reilly's here in Delaware.. and I know that's you sells them.. but I have a couple of choices for the same filter basically.
You can get the Premium Guard EX on Amazon, which is the same guts as the Microgard from O'Reilly. Cost around $10 on Amazon.

1701724361646.jpeg

If the photo is accurate, it looks like a Purolator/M+H made filter.

View attachment 191564

In my size it was not, I imagine it would depend on how much turnover they have of a given size as to which you would get. I don't know how long they have been sourcing the Carquest Premium from Premium Guard but none of the pics on the site I saw depicted a PG filter.

I can take a few pics when I get home.

In my size it was not, I imagine it would depend on how much turnover they have of a given size as to which you would get. I don't know how long they have been sourcing the Carquest Premium from Premium Guard but none of the pics on the site I saw depicted a PG filter.

I can take a few pics when I get home.
Does the Car Quest box say anything about Premium Guard or made in Vietnam on it?

Does the Car Quest box say anything about Premium Guard or made in Vietnam on it?
No, it says distributed by Advance Auto Parts. COO on this one is China. I don’t know if COO depends on filter size or the distributor. I know some of the extended STP filters are from Vietnam but they are a couple of bucks more.

It does say synthetic blend media and rated for up to 10k like all the other Premium Guard XLs do.

^^^ The photos above of the blue model Car Quest does look a lot like a Premium Guard design.

That Carquest Premium is 100% Premium Guard Extended Life oil filter. They have a minimum of two factories approved to make any one of their filters.

Last edited:
Amazon, is pretty easy to deal with they will pretty much take it back if something is broke or you're not happy.. they took the TV back that I wasn't happy with.. Harbor Freight on the other hand, I have an electric impact, with the extended warranty, they couldn't find it in the system, since they upgraded it, and I didn't have the receipt, since it was gifted.. and they wouldn't do nothing..

The big issue with Amazon isn't customer service within the return window, but rather counterfeit goods and misrepresentation of products from third party sellers. There are a disturbing number of outright dangerous products being sold on Amazon and very little accountability. It is a big enough problem that it was named as a risk to their investors in a SEC filing from 2018.

There is a difference here that makes it easier for Amazon to sidestep responsibility: Most of these products come from third party sellers. This gives them a way out, and it is tough to fight because they have deep pockets so who is going to go after them?

If a fake oil filter from Amazon blows an engine, the overseas seller isn't going to do squat and good luck getting anything from Amazon.

I am down in Harbeson. Close enough to the Lewes and Rehoboth beaches but far enough off Route 1 so the summer crowds don't cause me too much grief.

I am still using up NAPA Platinum oil filter I got 2 or 3 years ago on sale. The large ones for my PSD almost seemed to be a mistake in the price they were so cheap.

I am down in Harbeson. Close enough to the Lewes and Rehoboth beaches but far enough off Route 1 so the summer crowds don't cause me too much grief.

I am still using up NAPA Platinum oil filter I got 2 or 3 years ago on sale. The large ones for my PSD almost seemed to be a mistake in the price they were so cheap.
I was using Wix or Wix XP for the longest time, then the price, increased. Now I'm running a Purolator Pureone which I got on Amazon when they were $2 off, I change my oil every 6 months or 5,000 MI using Mobil 1. Yeah I'm familiar with the area you're at I've been here since 94.. I'm in West Dover.

Last edited:
That Carquest Premium is 100% Premium Guard Extended Life oil filter. They have a minimum of two factories approved to make any one of their filters.

Yes it is. You know Advance is making good money on these and they are over three dollars less than what O'Reilly's is charging for the extended Microgard version. Only difference is the Microgard has the textured finish like the Premium Guard branded filters do. Surely that does not cost over 3 dollars. :eek:

Back