Damaged Purolator Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
if it had fiber/engineered end caps, it would have flexed instead of torn...................

Or have had a hole blown through the media, ala E-core.

Quote:
if it had fiber/engineered end caps, it would have flexed instead of torn...................
True. And the fiber endcaps could have flexed so much that the centertube becomes severly exposed, which would have the same end result.
21.gif

If this had been an orange can, this thread would have had hundreds of comments already.

Maybe we need a cute slogan like:

It's the WCOD.

"White Can of Death"

Email with photos sent to Purolator Tech Dept. Will report back what they think about the media tear and the fact that this Classic L14559 seemed to have 2 less pleats than the last PureOne PL14459 I used.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Email with photos sent to Purolator Tech Dept. Will report back what they think about the media tear and the fact that this Classic L14559 seemed to have 2 less pleats than the last PureOne PL14459 I used.

Any response from Purolator yet?

Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Any response from Purolator yet?

Nothing back from Purolator yet ... but their response was that someone from the Engineering Dept would be getting back with me.

Saw the same thing on a recently opened Supertech (champ classic). It happens... sucks finding out at the *end* of an OCI. I bet your UOA would have looked relatively normal
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I wouldn't worry about the torn paper media

I wasn't too worried, as this engine is low miles and super clean inside. Also, no evidence that any media went down stream into the engine ... but I'm still disappointed that it happened.

Still NO word from Purolator yet.
21.gif
Seems odd since they usually respond on most things, but I have had a few instances when no response is received. Seems like they would be interested in this situation to try and find out why it happened.

I've asked purolator a handful of technical questions, and a handful of simple questions, not once have I had a response from them.

Maybe it's time to go Hastings or Wix.

I think it would be interesting to test the cut-open filters to see how much force it takes to rip the media. That'd be interesting.

Yeah.. I'm a Hastings guy... Purolator is my backup... since I can get them at the 24 hour store.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead

I think it would be interesting to test the cut-open filters to see how much force it takes to rip the media. That'd be interesting.

As I mentioned somewhere in this thread, this particular Purolator Classic had media that you could hear trying to tear when the pleats were simply spread open to inspect down inside them. I don't recall this happening on the PureOne filters I've cut open, so maybe it's unique to the media in the Classic. Plus this Classic had 2 less pleats than the same filter in the PureOne model. I thought that might have contributed to the pleat tearing due it flattening out.

BTW - I have not heard any word back from Purolator except the initial message that the Engineering Dept would get back to me ... but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll bug them again.

Quote:
Maybe it's time to go Hastings or Wix.
Nah. Hastings not a readily available filter, nationally. Too expensive with shipping on line. No better imo, than Purolator Classic and not as good as a P1 with silicone adbv and top rated efficiency. Wix is a good filter, just more expensive than P1. With rebate, Classic now $2-2.50, P1 $3.50-$4.00.

This is the first Purolator posted here with an unexplained breach of the media. A defective filter, mass produced, it happens. I've seen no drop off in quality and will continue to use with confidence.

I would be on the phone first thing this morning with them. Enough time has gone by. I had good luck dealing with them, and as others mentioned defects happen with every company.

I'd call and ask for the tech people and see if you can get a direct email address and resend the email to that address.

This is old post(2yrs) of the experience I had with Puro (I just got back a filter from Purolator (returned) it was a cartridge type that was twisted and slightly crushed (Hourglass shape) inner pleats very tight after (4191 OCI). I also sent a second filter (same new circa 2006) so they could compare. Got a letter back stating the filter was within spec and the deformation was due to filter reaching capacity. NEVER had an OE Mazda filter look like this!!! So if you go to all the trouble of notifying them, filling out paperwork ,and shipping. Only to get aggravated... Think Twice... PS I noticed the the newer filters have been redesigned. WONDER WHY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back