crumbling purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Apparently I'm not getting through to some of you, so let me go a different route...do you feel the products from these companies are so superior to those of any other company that you just don't care about their past reps? If so, what is it about their products that makes you think they are so superior that they're worth buying regardless of the company's rep?

Past reputation is indeed a factor, and it always comes into play when it comes to choosing products, but be honest with yourself - ANY company can have problems and overcome them. We learn from mistakes. Those of us who are smart, learn from our mistakes, improve our process, and end up with better performance going forward.

That's how our brain works. That's how -GOOD- business works.

When I was in my teens, my family owned numerous Ford products. Nearly all of them sucked. BAD. We swore off Ford products, and for years, I woudln't go near them. Now, in my 40's, I own two Ford products and find them to be excellent vehicles.

Ford turned things around. It took years for me to finally give them another try, but I finally did.

And Pennzoil? Years ago, they had a HORRIBLE reputation for sludging up engines. I wouldn't use them, I skipped any oil change shop that used them, etc.. LOTS of people did. Now? Pennzoil has some of the best - if not THE BEST - oil out there in the consumer market. [censored], they market their stuff as the cleanest.

They turned things around. In all honesty, the fact that they make such good products now is the reason I am willing to overlook their past rep.

Fram? For a while, the OCOD was slammed. Now? You'd be hard pressed to find a better filter for less than $10.. [censored], less than $20.. than the Fram Ultra. They learned how to do things right, and they acted upon that.

Back to the original point. Yes, reputation matters.. But are you so stubborn and inflexible that you refuse to let ANYONE atone for their past mistakes?
If so, you must be a very unhappy and unpleasant person to be around.
k9a0c3.jpg

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Apparently I'm not getting through to some of you, so let me go a different route...do you feel the products from these companies are so superior to those of any other company that you just don't care about their past reps? If so, what is it about their products that makes you think they are so superior that they're worth buying regardless of the company's rep?

Past reputation is indeed a factor, and it always comes into play when it comes to choosing products, but be honest with yourself - ANY company can have problems and overcome them. We learn from mistakes. Those of us who are smart, learn from our mistakes, improve our process, and end up with better performance going forward.

That's how our brain works. That's how -GOOD- business works.

When I was in my teens, my family owned numerous Ford products. Nearly all of them sucked. BAD. We swore off Ford products, and for years, I woudln't go near them. Now, in my 40's, I own two Ford products and find them to be excellent vehicles.

Ford turned things around. It took years for me to finally give them another try, but I finally did.

And Pennzoil? Years ago, they had a HORRIBLE reputation for sludging up engines. I wouldn't use them, I skipped any oil change shop that used them, etc.. LOTS of people did. Now? Pennzoil has some of the best - if not THE BEST - oil out there in the consumer market. [censored], they market their stuff as the cleanest.

They turned things around. In all honesty, the fact that they make such good products now is the reason I am willing to overlook their past rep.

Fram? For a while, the OCOD was slammed. Now? You'd be hard pressed to find a better filter for less than $10.. [censored], less than $20.. than the Fram Ultra. They learned how to do things right, and they acted upon that.

Back to the original point. Yes, reputation matters.. But are you so stubborn and inflexible that you refuse to let ANYONE atone for their past mistakes?
If so, you must be a very unhappy and unpleasant person to be around.
k9a0c3.jpg

I may not be able to find a better filter for the price, but I can find many that are just as good from companies without the baggage...it's all about warm fuzzies and I don't get them when buying products from a company that knowingly made bad filters for years...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Yes I do. As far as I can tell, there is no other brand out there that is as efficient as Fram that doesn't make my Jeep tick on start up. That is very important to me.

As said though, Fram has switch management since said issues have been around. Same name, different product. Why aren't you willing to give them a try?

So you've tried every brand of filter out there and they all make your Jeep tick except for the Fram? I believe I stated very clearly why I won't use Frams...

Please show me where I said I tried EVERY brand out there...

I could bore you with a list of filters, but that isn't the point. I also suppose I could try Amsoil and Royal Purple, but they are more $$$ and harder to find. I found a solution so I am sticking to it.

And yes, I saw you don't like Fram because of how they were 20+ years ago while under different management. IMO, if you just have the fiber end cap phobia, you should at least give the Ultra a try. They still have their $2 rebate until the end of this month too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ "Livin' in the past".

Tell me what oil filter can out perform the Ultra for the same price, availability, construction and reliability?

You put too much stock in flow rates and filteration numbers...those aspects of a filter are the least of my concern...ANY filter flows and filters well enough...far more important is that the filter doesn't come apart...at that point the filter's only function is keeping oil from leaking out of the engine. I'm not relying on a filter from a company that's known for making filters that fall apart...

Seems like the $1.97 Chinese oil filters stay together and don't leak externally, so I guess that's the one for you. I like an oil filter that delivers much more than that, including all the things you don't think are important. I put stock in what I want, you put stock in what you want ... I don't want what you want.

But you didn't answer my original question. You always have some kind of side track cop-out answer to everything.
grin.gif

Honestly I've never gotten any warm fuzzies buying any kind of oil filter.

I must be missing something in life.

Let Grampi be.

I don't agree with him on everything and at the same time I don't feel it's worth the effort to "convince" him of anything.

There will be people who stick to 3k OCI, one filter every OCI, brand loyal and also brand blacklisting that's just life and in some aspects I'm similar. For example I will never buy another GM vehicle period and no one here can convince me to no matter how logical the argument might sound. I was just burned that bad.

That said in regards to oil filters. Even if all BITOG members (50982 as of 8/15/14) stopped buying purolator products...they probably wouldn't even notice.

^^^ "Livin' in the past".

Tell me what oil filter can out perform the Ultra for the same price, availability, construction and reliability?

You put too much stock in flow rates and filteration numbers...those aspects of a filter are the least of my concern...ANY filter flows and filters well enough...far more important is that the filter doesn't come apart...at that point the filter's only function is keeping oil from leaking out of the engine. I'm not relying on a filter from a company that's known for making filters that fall apart...

Seems like the $1.97 Chinese oil filters stay together and don't leak externally, so I guess that's the one for you. I like an oil filter that delivers much more than that, including all the things you don't think are important. I put stock in what I want, you put stock in what you want ... I don't want what you want.

But you didn't answer my original question. You always have some kind of side track cop-out answer to everything.
grin.gif

To answer your question: there may not be a filter WITH BETTER NUMBERS than the Ultra, but I think Wix filters are just as good, if not better because they don't come from a company with a questionable past. Here's a question for you. Will using an Ultra make my engine last longer, or do anything better for that matter, than it will if I use a Wix? If you can prove the answer to this question is yes, then I will switch to the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I'm not saying the filter didn't fail as the OP described; I just find it hard to understand how such a WIDE, VAST difference in experiences can happen.

Is it possible that counterfiet Classics are getting into the mainstream supply?

Maybe counterfeit. BMW noted a couple of years ago that the Chinese-made counterfeit Manns out there would crumble. Slide over to the 2:40 time point in the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cx2cJSCSmw to see it crumble, compared to a genuine Mann which didn't crumble. The rest of the video is kind of nice, showing microscope views of the media in the BMW lab, showing differences.

My guess is that Purolator didn't treat the paper cellulose media to enough resin, or what resin that was there in the past, had dissolved out of the fibers.

No reaction to this BMW video yet from those those out there that claim the torn pleats isn't a big deal?

I wonder if Purolator decided to source some of their filter media from China or just lack of quality control of their own media?

Will using an Ultra make my engine last longer, or do anything better for that matter, than it will if I use a Wix?

To answer your question, probably not depending on your OCI. Genuine WIX filters are great filters and I am using them on 2 different applications right now. Unfortunately my Jeep does not like them though.. or I would probably use them.

From what I have read here, it should like the WIX made Napa Silvers so I am giving that a try on my next OCI. 80% efficiency at 20 microns IIRC.

Last edited:

But you didn't answer my original question.

To answer your question: there may not be a filter WITH BETTER NUMBERS than the Ultra, but I think Wix filters are just as good, if not better because they don't come from a company with a questionable past. Here's a question for you. Will using an Ultra make my engine last longer, or do anything better for that matter, than it will if I use a Wix? If you can prove the answer to this question is yes, then I will switch to the Ultra.

WIX filters are good (except the XP lacks in filtration IMO). 95% @ 20 microns is decent - I've used plenty of WIX/NAPA Gold filters. Using a filter with higher filtration (ie, Ultra or another filter with 99%+ @ 20 microns - PureOnes without tears) may help reduce wear because most wear is from particles below 20 microns, and the higher the efficiency the more sub-20 micron particles will be caught. My viewpoint is taking more debris out of the oil can't hurt, and can only help. I tend to keep my vehicles for 15+ years, so I try to keep the engine in top shape.

I won't buy from either of them now...no need to...there are plenty of reputable companies to buy perfectly good filters from which makes it unnecessary to take the risk of buying products from companies with questionable business ethics...

You're most likely typing this on a computer. Does that computer run Windows? Congratulations! You bought a product from a company with questionable business ethics.

Don't believe me? Read up on docs from the US VS MS antitrust case. Tactics that would make Tony Soprano proud!

WIX filters are good (except the XP lacks in filtration IMO). 95% @ 20 microns is decent - I've used plenty of WIX/NAPA Gold filters. Using a filter with higher filtration (ie, Ultra or another filter with 99%+ @ 20 microns - PureOnes without tears) may help reduce wear because most wear is from particles below 20 microns, and the higher the efficiency the more sub-20 micron particles will be caught. My viewpoint is taking more debris out of the oil can't hurt, and can only help. I tend to keep my vehicles for 15+ years, so I try to keep the engine in top shape.
If you're really worried about these tiny particles why not a bypass filter? I doubt 95%, 99%, or even 50%, @ 20 microns has much bearing in practical terms of what particles are left in the oil after going through the filter thousands of times. Amsoil bypass filter has a rating of 98.7 @ 2 microns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mr_diy
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'm not saying the filter didn't fail as the OP described; I just find it hard to understand how such a WIDE, VAST difference in experiences can happen.

Is it possible that counterfiet Classics are getting into the mainstream supply?

Maybe counterfeit. BMW noted a couple of years ago that the Chinese-made counterfeit Manns out there would crumble. Slide over to the 2:40 time point in the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cx2cJSCSmw to see it crumble, compared to a genuine Mann which didn't crumble. The rest of the video is kind of nice, showing microscope views of the media in the BMW lab, showing differences.

My guess is that Purolator didn't treat the paper cellulose media to enough resin, or what resin that was there in the past, had dissolved out of the fibers.

No reaction to this BMW video yet from those those out there that claim the torn pleats isn't a big deal?

I wonder if Purolator decided to source some of their filter media from China or just lack of quality control of their own media?

Based on the two linked Fram cartridge failures, one on a BMW, one might also have to wonder those same things of them? Complete detachment of media over a large area, far greater area than the tears seen on the Puro spin ons.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3411091/1

But considering that the video with speculative conclusion was posted by a now banned alias of a dedicated purohater whack a mole multiple alias troll, I didn't pay much attention. I do find it somewhat ironic though since Mann has been a half owner of Puro since 2006 and sole owner since last year. So ultimately whatever may or may not be going on, is on Mann.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I won't buy from either of them now...no need to...there are plenty of reputable companies to buy perfectly good filters from which makes it unnecessary to take the risk of buying products from companies with questionable business ethics...

You're most likely typing this on a computer. Does that computer run Windows? Congratulations! You bought a product from a company with questionable business ethics.

Don't believe me? Read up on docs from the US VS MS antitrust case. Tactics that would make Tony Soprano proud!

Okay then, I'll just use one of the dozens of other operating systems available...are you nuts?

Last edited:
Probably hard to tell by the average Joe if a filter is counterfeiter or not. LOL ... there is more than one computer operating system in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back