Cross it off the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
No offense but you own a vehicle the only redeeming quality is 6-7 passenger AND inexpensive because they have to fire sale them to get a buyer.

4cylinders are all over the map and quite good as of late. Chrysler unfortunately maintains the reputation of garbage 4 cylinders.

Actually aside from the lack of power and noisiness of the Chrysler 4 cylinders the World Gas Engine and Tigershark are very healthy robust 4 cylinders.

It's all the other garbage quality parts put with it on the rest of the vehicle that causes a problem.
wink.gif

If I didn't get the $30K SUV (SE+) model for $15K I wouldn't be driving it.
wink.gif

Pretty much anything that is not built by Ford or GM ( we did buy a used Nissan Leaf , but that was about the only electric I could find and afford ).

No turbo , CVT's , Direct Injections , Ford dual clutch transmission , manual transmission , Start / Stop , " performance car " , 4WD , convertible , 2 door car ( 2 door truck OK ) , diesel , flood car , AWD .

Color usually not critical .

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I cross off anything new that has rear drum brakes and hubcaps.
There's no reason any vehicle should have drum brakes. I'm looking at a new car purchase but am having trouble finding one without *%$#@%^ that is unneeded and will fail long before the vehicle reaches the end of service. Wish I was still driving my 54 Ford with the Y block. Wouldn't pull the hat off your head but was reliable and easy to work on.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
There's no reason any vehicle should have drum brakes. I'm looking at a new car purchase but am having trouble finding one without *%$#@%^ that is unneeded and will fail long before the vehicle reaches the end of service. Wish I was still driving my 54 Ford with the Y block. Wouldn't pull the hat off your head but was reliable and easy to work on.
Quick question. How would deal with the need for a parking brake? OTOH, in NE, they aren't essential.
grin2.gif

Ahh the Y block. Wasn't that just the end run flathead with an over head valve head added? I had a 53 and a 51 and they went pretty good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
I cross any Dodge/Chrysler products off my list.
Sixty six Dodge Dart V8 with performance options was the biggest Hamtramck POS I ever owned. Purchased my first Toyota because I was so sick of that Dart. Nothing fit, one side of the hood was an inch above the fender line,trunk leaked, backup light wiring was missing from wiring bundle,bad ball joints and on and on. Finally, about a year old, the backup light switch threaded into the A-833 four-speed case started leaking oil. Started to tighten the switch and found it had been cross=threaded at assembly and some smuck had used a gob of unknown something to stop the leakage. Absolutely a vehicle from hades. That was over fifty years ago and I am still kicking myself over that purchase. Bah Humbug Chrysler Corp and BAH HUMBUG Hamtramck. Hope have a FLINT event X ten.

Cross off everything European unless it's a lease.

Cross off every new diesel because of all the emissions components.

Cross off anything made by Chrysler.

Cross off Auto stop/start that can't be disabled.

CVT trans has come a long way, they're much better now. I'm not a huge fan of DI engines, however they've made a lot of progress on that as well. I'm very interested to see some of the new DI engines that also have port injectors, there was talk of Ford EB engines getting that pretty soon.

CVT only. Anyone ignoring the rest is analogous to an ostrich burying their head in the sand.

As a hybrid driver and having logged thousands of miles on vehicles with auto start stop in Europe, that tech doesn't scare me. But people like to have boogey men to run away from or to disparage.

Auto stop/start is an automatic no for me. Drove a 2017 grand cherokee, the shudder when it restarts is horrible but atleast you have the option to turn it off unlike GM.

So all GM vehicles are crossed off

Brands I wouldn't buy:

GM (horror stories encountered first hand), Some Fords (especially with dual clutch), Pretty well all Chryslers, Nissan, Mazda (I'm mixed on, most of the newer stuff is good).

Brands me and the family have had good luck with: Hyundai, Honda, Most Toyotas, One exception to the above (Dodge Caravans)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Brands I wouldn't buy:

GM (horror stories encountered first hand), Some Fords (especially with dual clutch), Pretty well all Chryslers, Nissan, Mazda (I'm mixed on, most of the newer stuff is good).

Brands me and the family have had good luck with: Hyundai, Honda, Most Toyotas, One exception to the above (Dodge Caravans)

Nissan used to be great before they went to CVT, My family growing up Maxima, Altima and Pathfinder were all solid back late 90's-early 2000's

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So when auto shopping what do you cross off the list?

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos
4) Most 4 cylinders although I goofed and bought one.

I would like to cross off all the above, but then there is going to be very little left standing.

I typically also cross off FWD.

This +1

Doesn't leave many options.

Some of the cars I like I can barely fit into, which I really don't understand. I'm not that big of a person. I'm 5'10 and 150 lbs and when testing a Lexus IS350 my head almost hit the roof.

Edit: Also start/stop. I HATE that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rocky8314
Brands I wouldn't buy:

Nissan used to be great before they went to CVT, My family growing up Maxima, Altima and Pathfinder were all solid back late 90's-early 2000's

Yeah that did it for me too...

I actually kind of prefer drum brakes, at least for the rear brakes. The parking brake works 100x better than a rear disc setup. They're kind of a pain to service, but not too bad. And you don't service them often at all because they last a really long time. I'd much rather have rear drums than have rear discs with the stupid drum-in-rotor parking brake design. Worst of both worlds. I recently replaced the parking brake shoes on my CR-V and I really hope I never have to do it again.

Figured this would quickly become a cheap bash~a~thon … I come here for oil and other but it is not a preferred site for car buying advice … drag something out from 10~20 years ago … all that relevant stuff.
And then if you don’t buy what I do you are stupid …

Some rear disc bakes have drums on them for the parking brake. My Gen Coupe with Brembo brakes does.

Yes … I launch my boat off a front mounted hitch and drum brake parking brakes are awesome 7 years later …
Front does 75% stopping on that mid size truck anyway …

I have always read the front brakes do more of the work .

While I had rather work on disc brakes than drum , good drum brakes are probably sufficent for rears .

Wyr
God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back