Cross it off the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E365

Huh? My 2008 MINI Cooper panoramic sunroof rattles and basically doesn’t work, like hundreds of others on the forums. All jammed up. Our 2006 Passat Sunroof leaked. My 2000 BMW 323i Sunroof rattled. My 1996 BMW 318ti Sunroof rattled. Leaking is very common once the drain tubes get clogged with debris.

And the wonderful benefit of putting 50+ extra pounds at the TOP of my car. No thanks.

I had to fight with Munich to avoid having my Club Sport built with a hole in the roof. My next car will likely be either an M240i or and M2; both can be ordered without a sunroof...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: E365

Huh? My 2008 MINI Cooper panoramic sunroof rattles and basically doesn’t work, like hundreds of others on the forums. All jammed up. Our 2006 Passat Sunroof leaked. My 2000 BMW 323i Sunroof rattled. My 1996 BMW 318ti Sunroof rattled. Leaking is very common once the drain tubes get clogged with debris.

And the wonderful benefit of putting 50+ extra pounds at the TOP of my car. No thanks.

I had to fight with Munich to avoid having my Club Sport built with a hole in the roof. My next car will likely be either an M240i or and M2; both can be ordered without a sunroof...

I really hate sunroofs, they are fun on a nice day for a short while. Besides that they are noisy when open, can leak, break, etc. I don't think they were even an option on an E90, just a standard thing. If I could find an E90 with N52, manual trans, RWD, and no hole in the roof I'd buy it. Finding a manual RWD is proving hard enough.

Some of the newer Grand Cherokees have problems with water leaking into the cabin. It can get into the compartment under the driver and passenger seats where the computer and battery are stored and cause issues. Many of these Jeeps have the giant panoramic sunroof. I'm thinking that is the problem. My dad's 2013 GC has no water leaks at all, but it was also special ordered without a sunroof (his head would hit the ceiling otherwise).

Mine has the giant panoramic sunroof. I never open it though, just the cover to let the light in on occasion. I'm not a huge sunroof fan, it came with the Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
. Also no waxing the roof

No waxing anything has come as standard on all my cars.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
So when auto shopping what do you cross off the list?

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos
4) Most 4 cylinders although I goofed and bought one.

Fifty years ago, your list would have been:

1) Automatic transmissions
2) Fuel injection
3) Electronic ignition
4) Emissions controls

Times change, the state of the art advances and reliability and durability continue to improve along with current offerings having more power and better fuel economy than those of the recent past.
What's not to like?

Yeah you're right except there has been 50 years to perfect those technologies and I'm not about to be a Guinea-Pig at my expense for them to perfect these new technologies that are unproven when I need maximum miles from my vehicle because of the job I do.
wink.gif

I ran my 2007 MS3(GDI turbo I4) for 8.5 years and 158,000 miles with no issues. I currently have a GDI I4 as well as a GDI turbo I6. I'm not losing any sleep over their new-relatively-technology.

Yeah you're right except there has been 50 years to perfect those technologies and I'm not about to be a Guinea-Pig at my expense for them to perfect these new technologies that are unproven when I need maximum miles from my vehicle because of the job I do.
wink.gif

CVT's aren't new though, snowmobiles have had them pretty much since the beginning
wink.gif

The reliability of the CVT doesn't bother me so much as the way they operate. Give me a ZF 8HP any day.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The reliability of the CVT doesn't bother me so much as the way they operate. Give me a ZF 8HP any day.

Yup, same here
thumbsup2.gif

wink.gif

That's pretty funny. I turned over cars every two years for a new one when I was in outside sales. Never had a problem with "new technology" with any of them. Drove well over a million miles in my career.

1) Most brands- must be reliable
2) 2 doors- just traded one off
3) CVT- may eventually have to buy one
4) Sunroof

...and fifty years before that, one might have questioned the reliability and durability of OHV engines, points and coil ignition systems, electric self starters as well as pressurized liquid cooling systems relying upon a water pump.
If you want to avoid the past century of potentially troublesome innovations, you could avoid the four that I mentioned above with a nice Model T. Side valve four, magneto ignition, thermosiphon cooling and a crank to start the engine with.
You could buy a pretty nice one for less than you paid for your current ride and you'd have a car that you could fix with no more than simple hand tools, whatever it needed.
Time marches on and applied technologies do as well.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
...and fifty years before that, one might have questioned the reliability and durability of OHV engines, points and coil ignition systems, electric self starters as well as pressurized liquid cooling systems relying upon a water pump.
If you want to avoid the past century of potentially troublesome innovations, you could avoid the four that I mentioned above with a nice Model T. Side valve four, magneto ignition, thermosiphon cooling and a crank to start the engine with.
You could buy a pretty nice one for less than you paid for your current ride and you'd have a car that you could fix with no more than simple hand tools, whatever it needed.
Time marches on and applied technologies do as well.

+1000% Good post!

Again-new technology phobia is laughable here on BITOG.

Last edited:
I have to admit that people who consider themselves "rebels" for not buying direct injection cars and call anyone who does "early adopters" when DI is over 40% of the new vehicle market, isn't exactly new, and not one monolithic thing...is a little much.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I have to admit that people who consider themselves "rebels" for not buying direct injection cars and call anyone who does "early adopters" when DI is over 40% of the new vehicle market, isn't exactly new, and not one monolithic thing...is a little much.

Yep-and many of those vehicles in service are being used in fleets with no special care what-so-ever.

According to some on here they should be blowing up with the fuel dilution issues.....

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to new technology once the bugs have been worked out. To me CVT's are toward end of that stage, but they just aren't there yet for me to not cross it off my list.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So when auto shopping what do you cross off the list?

For me it's:

1) CVT's
2) Direct Injections
3) Most Turbos
4) Most 4 cylinders although I goofed and bought one.

Fifty years ago, your list would have been:

1) Automatic transmissions
2) Fuel injection
3) Electronic ignition
4) Emissions controls

No change there then.

I do have an aftermarket electronic ignition kit (actually "transistor assisted". It keeps the points) but havn't got around to fitting it. Need to practice my soldering a bit first.

Got nothing against 4-cyl engines but currently only have 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back