Crazy Rotella T5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elderly lady living across the street gave me an opened jug about half full. I never want to waste anything, so, I do want to use this oil. I know this sounds crazy, but does Rotella have a strong distinct smell? More so than typical PCMO?

It looks and feels like new oil, jug is in good shape. However I smell a bit of a sharp/sweet smell, similar to paint thinner, but definitely a bit different. I don't want any type of contamination...

Any ideas? Thanks.

Been a long time since I smelled a PCMO but any HDEO seems to have a strong smell. I just couldn't describe what i'd call it.

As memphis said...great OPE oil.

Last edited:
oils, especially a non real synthetic loose life continually depending on storage. hot-cold variations are the worse. the viscosity index improvers are "working" in or out of an engine. the cheaper the oil or wider viscosity spread the more fragile VII are needed, cheaper VII are used in cheaper oils as well

Use it in something. There are folks here that use an oil for up to 3 years in a vehicle and they do a UOA and they check out fine. I doubt it went bad in south Texas sitting in an oil bottle.
I would not loose sleep over it at night.

Originally Posted By: benjy
oils, especially a non real synthetic loose life continually depending on storage. hot-cold variations are the worse. the viscosity index improvers are "working" in or out of an engine. the cheaper the oil or wider viscosity spread the more fragile VII are needed, cheaper VII are used in cheaper oils as well

errrr... what?
I guess I always assumed the VIIs would not break down very much over time in a sealed container. The VIIs "unfold" when warm making the oil thicker, then curl back up when cold. In a sealed container why would this process cause much damage? The effective forces in an engine can certainly cause the relatively large VII molecules to be physically cleaved apart, called shearing, thus compromising their function, but why does this happen over time in a sealed jug? There have been UOAs on BITOG of oil mineral that's more than 20 years old that still tests within it's viscosity range.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Any ideas? Thanks.

Is she a practical joke type?

Not at all. A wonderful neighbor, 80 years old who appreciates the small things I do to help her out.

I really don't think its contaminated, since its plenty thick like it should be (15-40). Color and feel is perfect. That stronger smell though, vaguely like paint thinner, has me a little concerned.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Been a long time since I smelled a PCMO but any HDEO seems to have a strong smell. I just couldn't describe what i'd call it.

I think you nailed it. PCMO does not have as much smell. If a stronger smell is typical for HDEO, I think its good to go.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If you are not sure, just be gracious say thank you to her , and recycle it on your next used oil drop-off.

This. Little old lady could have oil in there, or it could be a mixture of something unknown.

Elderly lady living across the street gave me an opened jug about half full. I never want to waste anything, so, I do want to use this oil. I know this sounds crazy, but does Rotella have a strong distinct smell? More so than typical PCMO?

It looks and feels like new oil, jug is in good shape. However I smell a bit of a sharp/sweet smell, similar to paint thinner, but definitely a bit different. I don't want any type of contamination...

Any ideas? Thanks.

I doubt any of us have the ability to tell you how odor is going to be able to assure you of anything, other than a horridly acrid smell is certainly one to stay away from. However, there are also many products with little odor that can still ruin other liquids. I have many different lubes in my garage; I cannot tell one from another with any truly discernable action. Smell is a very poor way to judge lubes overall; too subjective.

She's your neighbor; I presume you'd know her much better than the rest of us; you should be able to ascertain the nature of the gift better than us. How did she happen to have a 1/2 jug of T5 in the first place? Does your 80 YO female driver hike herself up into a lifted diesel 4x4 to head to the grocery? Is she adept enough to choose the full bottle for something else that would require a CJ-4 lube? She got a diesel compact tractor out back? How did that jug get into her possession in the first place? At her age, what is she putting oil into? I'm being completely stereotypical here; based upon her gender and age, I find it incredibly odd for her to have a 1/2 jub of T5. Yes- I'm being "that guy". If she truly is capable of understanding what HDEO is for, and uses it in some of her equipment, then why is she ridding herself of it? Why give you a 1/2 jug of lube she would need for top-off? If she is NOT capable of selecting and using a CJ-4 for the correct application, then how in the world did she come across it in the first place? Plus - you mention it's "15w-40". That T5 product is one of the newer grades in that line. That bottle cannot even be that old, which means she should have some reasonable explanation as to how she came across it.

You don't want to waste it? I can appreciate that; I, too, abhor waste. But you have ZERO investment here, so there's nothing for you to lose if you just recycle it. That would be the safest bet, unless the elderly lady can assure you past any doubt of its origin and nature.

Last edited:
Thats a good question. Before her husband passed away, they had a big Ford truck that pulled a RV with a goose neck hitch. I think it was a F-350, but I can not remember exactly. The truck and RV is now gone, and I think she is just cleaning the garage out.

I've found in the past the RT 15W40 does have a mild gear oil smell to it. Lots of additive goodness I assume?
I haven't bought any in the last couple years so maybe that's changed.

Thats a good question. Before her husband passed away, they had a big Ford truck that pulled a RV with a goose neck hitch. I think it was a F-350, but I can not remember exactly. The truck and RV is now gone, and I think she is just cleaning the garage out.

Well, sounds like she had a good reason for having it then. I don't think you've got anything to worry about if it appears to be of virgin form.

I don't know if age is of concern or not, but there may be a bottling date on the jug. The newer bottles certainly have dates. If it's not ancient I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Its funny how ingrained learned habits can be. I am not a hoarder by any means. My home and garage is neat, clean, and has zero clutter. However, my parents were depression era kids, and they taught me the "never waste anything" lifestyle.

This has nothing to do with money. I can afford any oil on the market with ease. Still, I hate to see a good product tossed out if it is indeed useable. I appreciate all of your comments. I really do believe the RT5 is OK, at least for my sons car, LOL.

It now makes a lot more sense ...

I'd say it's OK to use. It cannot be that old, as the T5 15w-40 is a newer product. A mildly different odor from PCMO is certainly possible. IIRC, the bottles have a translucent volume gage on the side; look to make sure there's no "separation" of the liquid which would indicate some type of unholy mixture. Other than that, probably OK to use.

Don't know what you have to put it into, but you could make use of it in many different applications. If nothing else, given your location, OPE would be an excellent use if you have such stuff.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it. It smells funny.. funny enough for you to post about it here. I only really have experience with M1 TDT and Kubota 15w40 HDEO's, but they just smelled like oil.. No solvent.

Thank thy neighbor and secretly recycle it with the rest of your old oil.

My .02

Rotella has a distinct smell. In comparisons to other oils its very strong to me. Its one that if you never used it before it might throw you off for a second.

Its good oil, I wouldn't waste it. If you don't want to use it, send it to me and Ill use it
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CDX825
Rotella has a distinct smell. In comparisons to other oils its very strong to me. Its one that if you never used it before it might throw you off for a second.

That, along with the earlier post from dustyroades sealed the deal for me. I am convinced now that RT5 simply has a stronger distinct smell that the average PCMO does not. It was not my imagination, it was just something I was not familiar with.

Again, thank you all for the comments and for humoring my "crazy" question. I appreciate all you guys here on BITOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back