Rotella Gas Truck Oil for "Truck-only" - am I crazy?

Post pics.
Screenshot_20220210-163234_Google.jpg

I think in all seriousness, these guys are professionals. They should know about oil certification and what is specified for a vehicle . Tell them if they refuse to put the gas truck in, tell them that you will file a complaint on their ASE certification and make Google reviews. We got to do something to get these guys to learn.
Once formed, misconceptions are very hard to break. Part of human behavior.

A great point. One of the key reasons I DIY is because of those ignorant ASE mechanics who doesn't spent extra 5 seconds to check the torque (especially after removing or installing wheels) before tightening the drain plug. Couldn't get them loose twice in the past, and another on my friends car which we trued to change oil at.my house...couldnt get it loose,.he took his car to work, put it on a ramp, welded a iron bar to his drain plug to loosen it.
It is little like this. Garage, and/or mechanic see customers look for ASE certification or it is required. Mechanics study for the test, while doing what they always did. Mechanic goes for test. Mechanic passes test and returns to work and keeps on doing what they always did before.

A great point. One of the key reasons I DIY is because of those ignorant ASE mechanics who doesn't spent extra 5 seconds to check the torque (especially after removing or installing wheels) before tightening the drain plug. Couldn't get them loose twice in the past, and another on my friends car which we trued to change oil at.my house...couldnt get it loose,.he took his car to work, put it on a ramp, welded a iron bar to his drain plug to loosen it.

I'll be honest. How does that even happen? If you don't have a torque wrench you snug up on the head of the ratchet, twist your wrist and snug the bolt. It never comes lose and you never crack or strip a pan. Even without a torque wrench why and how would you tighten the bolt that tight?

During the oil change, I whispered to my daughter's Chrysler 200 2.4L that Gas Truck 0W20 was OK for cars and it's been running fine.
Keep an eye on the front bumper - it could start to grow a Tough Country Honda deflector 😷

Has there been an oil that’s been discussed more in the last two years? For an oil that failed (from a marketing standpoint), it sure did become popular. I bought a ton of it when it was first on rebate...then a ton of it when autozone did their clearance sale, while tying RGT‘s rebate into THAT clearance. Think it ended up being free for me at that point. And then used it for years in first, a 2018 Chevy Silverado, then a 2016 Toyota Avalon (both for 5,000 mile intervals). Like any other oil, it performed great.

But that bottle and label? Just plain ugly and generic looking. Alarming red and a generic photo of a truck hauling a boat? Someone must have been fired over that.

Gave a jug of Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil to a friend and he said "various mechanics" (plural) refuse to use that oil since the oil is ONLY for trucks. I sent him various Shell posted info (including in BITOG posts) but don't believe it. I would understand if this was ONE mechanic but multiple mechanics? I understand the "failed" marketing ploy by Shell (e.g., "Gas Truck" label) but I have been using this oil in my Subaru and Acura without any issues. Am I the crazy one?? :)
No, you ain't crazy......as far as I know. I think it's about an 8.9 vis.........., otta run smooth.

Has there been an oil that’s been discussed more in the last two years? For an oil that failed (from a marketing standpoint), it sure did become popular. I bought a ton of it when it was first on rebate...then a ton of it when autozone did their clearance sale, while tying RGT‘s rebate into THAT clearance. Think it ended up being free for me at that point. And then used it for years in first, a 2018 Chevy Silverado, then a 2016 Toyota Avalon (both for 5,000 mile intervals). Like any other oil, it performed great.

But that bottle and label? Just plain ugly and generic looking. Alarming red and a generic photo of a truck hauling a boat? Someone must have been fired over that.
I STILL have tons of it, the LS 6.0 runs awesome on it, as has everything I've put it in. Good thing, too, because the killer oil deals are pretty much all gone now...:(

Gave a jug of Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil to a friend and he said "various mechanics" (plural) refuse to use that oil since the oil is ONLY for trucks. I sent him various Shell posted info (including in BITOG posts) but don't believe it. I would understand if this was ONE mechanic but multiple mechanics? I understand the "failed" marketing ploy by Shell (e.g., "Gas Truck" label) but I have been using this oil in my Subaru and Acura without any issues. Am I the crazy one?? :)
Your friend and said “various mechanics” clearly have no working understanding of oil as a lubricant. Avoid them by a wide swath; you’re fine using it in any engine that it meets the specs for.

As long as it meets the specs in your owner's manual I wouldn't worry about it.
That said, a few years ago I used Rotella T-5 10w-30 in a '97 4 cyl Jeep Wrangler that my daughter use to have and it burned it like crazy, a quart in less than 1000 miles. Went back to 10w-30 Max Life and it was fine and burned very little.

I STILL have tons of it, the LS 6.0 runs awesome on it, as has everything I've put it in. Good thing, too, because the killer oil deals are pretty much all gone now...:(
I know, remember those deals? I think I went three years of oil changes off of those autozone clearance events ($2 dollars or less for synthetic Quaker State, Rotella Gas Truck. Valvoline Modern Engine). and the Rotella Gas truck had their own rebate going at that time...I ended up paying ZERO after that rebate came through for that oil!!

Now? I haven’t found a deal in two years...although I missed out on the Mobil1 gift card thing last year. But still.

A gasoline engine is a gasoline engine, in fact, i am going to put M1 Racing 4T 15W-50 Motorcycle oil in my '75 Capri at the next oil change probably :)
Motorcycle oil will allow your car to rev to 14K. 😄

Last edited:
someone very woke must be working in Penn marketing dept... the person prolly thinks there are 99 genders amongst people too.
That is right. Where in the world is the new "gender identity" approvals for oils!? How dare that be ignored? We must
demand each oil container be color coded by our "identity!" Not having that could be off putting to some of us.

Back