Crazy offer from Carmax

I sold my Subaru to their competitor , Carvana. I was surprised that they offered me so much for a 4 year old subaru with no AC, 45000 miles and apparently a collision. Only $4500 less than new! Comes out to the car only costing me like $100 a month!

How did you get home?
Followed my wife there in the F-150 in my signature. Left with a check and no more Subaru. Overall a great experience with Carmax. I've done business with them in the past and I was also a salesman for them briefly when they first opened their Omaha store.

100%. Great time to sell one but a bad time to buy one. If they're buying high then they are certainly selling high.
one thing left out is the prices paid.

If I sell my jeep that I got for 10k+ off msrp for 1500 more than I paid for it.. 42month and 48500miles later...
then go purchase a car that previously was only selling for 2k off msrp.. and its now msrp..

not so bad a transaction. Jeep sorta scares me once its out of warranty next year. The issues with the PTU, RDU, and transmission alone are about as common as subaru burning oil on the internet ;)

Might be a nearly ideal time for me to change it up.. Considering my jeep is worth 10k more than it should be and I'll overpay maybe 2k on the new car.

25k trade in/down payment and pay off the new one 2 years or so.

As much as I like the offroad goodness.. the on road handling is average.. and I've used low range about 6x.

Has anyone had luck dickering with Carmax in regards to a trade value? I know their vehicles on the lot are prix fixe, but will they bend on a trade valuation? I have a less-than-desirable 17 year old trade. Their online widget set the valuationI at $4300. I'd be thrilled if I got $5000 for it (on a $26000 car). Cash, so they would lose out from a fnacing, though. I have an appointment today with them for a test drive and need to know if I should even bother talking about prices if, as it sounds, everything is etched in stone.

I've had 2 vehicles in the past that I tried to sell first through Carmax prior to the current craziness...both times their offer was way low, and firm...no room for dickering...both times the Carmax employee making the offer suggested I not sell to them as I would surly get a better offer elsewhere...I took their advice and sold elsewhere for more...

Bill

So I know Carmax has a reputation for lowballing people on their appraisals but as it turns out they do have a surprisingly good offer here and there. With me working remote permanently now we can easily get by with one vehicle and if we ever decide to go back to two we can just pay cash for something. Our 2019 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Sedan has only got 14,000 miles on it. Sticker price when we bought the car new in 2019 was $24,803.00. After negotiations we paid $22,291 in August of 2019. Carmax has given us a written offer today for $24,000.00. I got other offers to compare and Carmax was the highest by about 10%. I was pleasantly surprised!
Cool. Carvana gave me $1200 more than I paid for a 2014 Transit Connect Titanium even after 18 months of ownership & 49k miles driven (98k on vehicle at time I sold to Carvana).

I sold a 10 month old Mazda CX30 to Carvana with ~2800 miles for $2k more than I paid for it. Bought my Escape with zero dealer adds so satisfied in both transactions.

I sold a 10 month old Mazda CX30 to Carvana with ~2800 miles for $2k more than I paid for it. Bought my Escape with zero dealer adds so satisfied in both transactions.
Figure the sales tax you paid and only 2800 miles used, you really didn't come out ahead as much as you think.

Sales tax was part of what I paid along with doc fee and all the rest. They paid me $2k over the OTD price.
Like I said, $2k is not much to show for considering 2800 miles. It's not much to gloat about.I know many who netted much more than that on 3-5 year old vehicles.

Not through Carmax, but we got a letter from the dealership we purchased the Connect from, they want to buy the van back for an astounding 34k.. we only paid 19K for it. I sent the letter back informing them they would have to do better if they wanted our van.

Not through Carmax, but we got a letter from the dealership we purchased the Connect from, they want to buy the van back for an astounding 34k.. we only paid 19K for it. I sent the letter back informing them they would have to do better if they wanted our van.
So basically your van isn't for sale..........

Right now, no it's not for sale we've got too much tied up in this and we're still going new suspension parts are still coming in.

Back