Crashed Badly, Probably Done Riding Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to fly. Had a Piper pa-28 140 w/ 160hp STC a couple yrs. Survived that without drama except financial drama. Pvt a/c ownership can be a huge money pit, but nothing really beats flying I have no regrets. Have conquered land sea (okay just fresh waters) and air. Not sure what's next, maybe best to lay off and be an observer for a while. Boat was nothing to write home about, 1995 Sunbird 20' cuddy cabin w/ Volvo Penta 205 hp (Ford 5.0L). Fun river and lake boat for me wife and the boy when he was little.

If it's got a motor, us BITOGER's probably like it...

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I wouldn't blame you whatever you decide. There is a lot to be said for being able to wipe your own [censored].

LOL, I had to reflect on this. I have degenerative lower back, upper back, shoulders, and hips. I still ride because I can feel solace, peace, in a strange way comfort, and it's about the only exercise I still get. I can still wipe, but the day is coming. LOL

The phrase, live each day like it's your last has a different meaning now but the same in a strange way.

Give it some time, life has a way of coming full circle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Those Ducatis are really under powered from what I understand.

His specific model, or all Ducatis in general?
My 748 (bumped up to 916) was NOT a slouch!!

Shooot... even my Sportster 883 (bored to 1200) with a smattering of Buell Lightning parts tossed at it (and a few other hot rod tricks) could hang with most any 90's 600cc sportbikes. That was a high 11 second bike.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Shooot... even my Sportster 883 (bored to 1200) with a smattering of Buell Lightning parts tossed at it (and a few other hot rod tricks) could hang with most any 90's 600cc sportbikes. That was a high 11 second bike.

It is sometimes hard to detect sarcasm online, but I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

CJ Jeep with SBC, air-lockers and good suspension. Convertible, and it'll do dunes and rocks and desert and all sorts of places ... And, it'll give you a nice rush when you lean on it
laugh.gif

Last edited:
So if you had a bad car crash you'd never drive or ride in a car again? Or if you slipped and fell you'd never walk again?. When he's all healed up he'll probably rethink any plans on what he's gonna do. If you love riding, you figure out what went wrong and avoid that mistake again.,,

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I wouldn't blame you whatever you decide. There is a lot to be said for being able to wipe your own [censored].

LOL, I had to reflect on this. I have degenerative lower back, upper back, shoulders, and hips. I still ride because I can feel solace, peace, in a strange way comfort, and it's about the only exercise I still get. I can still wipe, but the day is coming. LOL

The phrase, live each day like it's your last has a different meaning now but the same in a strange way.

Give it some time, life has a way of coming full circle.

Same here. I've had fusion on c4/c5, and l4/l5, but they don't bother me while riding. My doctor was amazed when I rode 1130 miles in a weekend, but it doesn't really bother me. I've been riding for many years without a serious accident, but don't know what I'd do in your situation. I do wish the OP a speedy and full recovery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
So if you had a bad car crash you'd never drive or ride in a car again? Or if you slipped and fell you'd never walk again?. When he's all healed up he'll probably rethink any plans on what he's gonna do. If you love riding, you figure out what went wrong and avoid that mistake again.,,

That's my take on this situation too!

Glad to hear you are healing up. Good gear is worth every penny and the one thing not to skimp on. Things like this happen and maybe after some time away you may decide to give it a go again. If not that's fine too. Just find another hobby you enjoy.
I am going through a similar situation but was fortunate to not have any head injuries.

I have roadraced for the last 15 years and although I have had my share of crashes I would consider myself lucky as most were very minor and I was able to walk away from them all. That was until last year when I crashed pretty hard and broke my femur into a bunch of pieces.

I was in the hospital for a week and went home with a nice 11 inch plate and around a dozen screws to hold it in place. I was off work for 6 months and am currently at 9 months out from the accident. For the first 6 months I wanted nothing to do with bikes. Didn't even want to watch racing on the tv. Put all the race gear up for sale and had no intention of racing again.

As they say time heals all wounds and with the race season coming and find myself thinking of doing a few trackdays to see if I may be able to maybe race again next year. Pretty stupid I think, but it can be hard to walk away sometimes.

I rarely ride on the road because of all the dangers. Gravel, cars, moose and all the other things made me keep it to the track for the past 15 years. Much safer on the track. Or at least I thought that till last year:)

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Linctex

It is sometimes hard to detect sarcasm online, but I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
About 250% sarcastic. I mentioned the Mach III nothing was faster until the 900s came out . Today the Mach II performance wise is an entry level powered bike.

Originally Posted By: williestreet

I rarely ride on the road because of all the dangers. Gravel, cars, moose and all the other things made me keep it to the track for the past 15 years. Much safer on the track. Or at least I thought that till last year:)

So far, I've always said that the worst thing about crashing a bike, is that you can't ride a bike for awhile. I've Raced, and still ride on the road. I've heard the saying that the track is safer, for the reasons you mentioned. But I know when I'm on the track, I am pushing much harder than I ever would on a public road. So any get-off has the potential to be deadly too, just due to the speeds involved.

I hope you make a full recovery too. It sounds like your mishap happened at about the same time as my Sister's crash. Nearly 10 months after breaking her leg in 4 places, she is just now starting to walk with a walker. But as is common with being off a leg for a long time, she is now also dealing with Plantar Fasciitis. At first she was pretty sure she didn't want to ride again. Now, she is anxious to ride again. But first she needs to be able to walk.

Thanks all for the great response.

Had the ortho surgery on left ankle Monday of this week. Have a splint on now and appt 24th to replace that with a fracture boot or whatever they're called. Two MD's have estimated my back to work release should be first week of May or so if progress continues.

Right now even if I thought I wanted to get another bike, my confidence level is in the toilet. Still have only a spotty memory of the crash, and no memory of the high side tumble through the scrub and saplings roadside.

My brother a career paramedic on a suburban fire dept adjacent to a large Midwestern city, theorizes based on my injuries that I did at least one or two cart wheel tumbles. No recollection on my part however.

Don't mean to be a butthead, but that's a stretch of an analogy.

Comparing motorcycling to walking or even driving a car (both almost necessities of which motorcycling is not), is not a good comparison.

To the OP...don't even think about riding again until your subconscious mind or desire (if it comes back without anxiety) tells you it's time (or not). Could be 6 months....2 years....or never. A lot of other things in life are out there that can give you as much fun as riding. Many are a bit safer as well. I stopped riding for about a decade after seeing to many accidents and having close calls myself. Then, recently, discovered that I get even more joy out of riding little scooters on back roads and neighborhoods than I did bigger bikes. Nothing wrong with slowing down and taking it easier...and scooters are a good test of security in ones manhood!!

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Don't mean to be a butthead, but that's a stretch of an analogy.

Comparing motorcycling to walking or even driving a car (both almost necessities of which motorcycling is not), is not a good comparison.

Was thinking the same thing.

What are you guys talking about?. He's obviously spooked from wrecking his bike. That's why he's talking about giving up riding. So why wouldn't someone be spooked about driving a car if they had a bad wreck? The fear has to be equal. There are people that have a fear about driving over bridges or in tunnels. It may be a stretch for you guys, but fear can be crippling if you can't work it out in your mind.,,,

The fear has to be equal.

The fear may be equal, but the resulting actions can be very different. You almost have no choice but to start walking or driving a car again because your life depends on it. With biking - you do have a choice.

What are you guys talking about?. He's obviously spooked from wrecking his bike. That's why he's talking about giving up riding. So why wouldn't someone be spooked about driving a car if they had a bad wreck? The fear has to be equal. There are people that have a fear about driving over bridges or in tunnels. It may be a stretch for you guys, but fear can be crippling if you can't work it out in your mind.,,,

I'm talking about the comparison. I've been in a few car wrecks...and unless they would have been something horrifically devastating (most aren't), I had no serious issue with getting back behind the wheel. I would venture to say that most folks don't. Plus, it's not so practical for a person to be so unrealistic to just give up driving because of an accident. We all need cars FAR more as a means of transport than most of us do motorcycles. Plus, in a cycle accident you are much more likely to be either seriously injured (as the OP was), and traumatized because you don't have a cage of metal around you with air-bags and seat belts. Completely different situation. I won't even bring up the walking comparison.

The OP just needs to work it out in his own time. Too soon for analogies that are far fetched. He may decide that because of his family situation and his importance to others....that riding isn't worth it. Nothing wrong with that nor does he particularly need to ride a motorcycle for anything practical. It's supposed to be fun, but fear is a built in protection device that lets us know of danger. He had a nasty wreck and became more aware of his mortality. Sounds like common sense to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back