Craigslist scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
An ad is posted on the local Chicago craigslist for a 2006 Explorer (top of the line, V8 AWD, DVD/Navi, etc.) for $3600.

It is obviously a mistake or a scam, but I send the guy an email just for giggles... I get an automated reply within 10 seconds of hitting the 'send' button:

Quote:
Hello ,

I am selling this vehicle because I am in the military and my unit will be sent back to Iraq. I don't want it get old in my garage. Also, the car is too big for my wife so there's no use on keeping it. The price is low because I need to sell it before may 20th. The vehicle is in pristine condition, no accident history, clear title, no dents or dings and no scratches. Always adult driven and garaged, never abused or raced. If you are interested, it's still available for sale and the price, as stated in the ad, is $3600. The vehicle is in Bismarck ND and in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

Thank you !

Here are some specs:

VIN# 1fmeu75866ub15118
Mileage : 37,765 miles
Transmission : Automatic
Engine : 8 Cylinder 4.6 Liter
Fuel type : Gasoline
Exterior color : Black
Interior color : Tan

Keep in mind, I am near Chicago. So I respond that I have a friend in Bismarck who would be happy to go and look at the vehicle. Of course there is no response and the ad quickly disappears from Craigslist (whether removed by the poster himself or by Craigslist admin).

It sucks that they bring our troops into this.

yeap any offer to ship vehicles is 100% fake
I responded to a toyota rv ad, the responder as a sob story about the rv being stuck in ebayand ebay will ship directly. I asked I should send him cash in small bills or coins ;-)

I hear of so many CL scams. I'm scared to post on there (I've sold a few things in the past.

I also have many friends and relatives in Bismarck -- who could check on this Explorer:)

Just say I have a friend that lives in town there and wants to see the vehicle...........
shocked2.gif

Heck. That's nothing. I have at least 25 Russian women that are just eager to live with me in a "full service" capacity. All I have to do is get them here. Hotties, all of them.

All I need to do now is unload most of the proceeds from the multiple Nigerian benefactors that have died and left me money.

Not to mention the various lotteries that I've won that I never entered. By the way, when is the last time you entered a lottery and left them your email address? Ha!

I'm still waiting on my check from Microsoft for the email lottery I apparently won there. I wish they'd hurry...the Porsche 911 GT2 I ordered in anticipation of this windfall will be arriving any day.

Wow, North Dakota must be deserted by now!!! I have also responded to boat ads on Craigslist, a lot of the better deals are servicemen in ND being shipped out - if I can wire the money the boat will be shipped immediately!!

Remodeling a house, I listed some free stuff, I got offers to pay me with cashiers checks if I would ship them!!

Standard reply to everyone: All transactions will take place on their doorstep!

fsskier

My mom's jenny (female donkey) gave birth about a year ago, and as the little jack came into his 'teen years', he began trying to breed his own mother, so we decided to find a good home for him elsewhere. I put an ad on Craigslist, not for very much money, but stressing that he's VERY socialized and friendly and I wanted the best possible home for him.

I kept getting emails from all across the country wanting me to ship 'my pet', and how much they admire 'my pet'. The responses all referred to 'my pet', never once saying Jack, donkey, or anything close to what I was advertising.

These scum will stop at nothing, and nothing is off limits. They'll even try to scam you out of money using a pet adoption ad. They're all over Petfinder.com too. Nothing is safe. I wish molotov coctails could be sent via internet connections.

Quote:
They'll even try to scam you out of money using a pet adoption ad. They're all over Petfinder.com too. Nothing is safe. I wish molotov coctails could be sent via internet connections.

LOL.gif
I find the legit "rescue" outfits shake you down too. By the time they're done with you, you might as well have bought a dog. They end up being upscale dog brokers with prerequisites. Obviously, some dogs aren't that in need of rescue.

i believe it costs $4.50 a mile to ship cattle. so one donkey 3000 miles, umm can i get your credit card number please and i will get the "pet" on the road tonight!

wow, I have sold and bought few things on craigs, even gave away whole bunch of stuff, moving boxes etc.
now I am worried about the safety of the family since the violent incidents.
I just pack em up and take to charity.
feds should crackdown this, but they are busy bailing out billionaires

Craigs is ok if you contact them first and get their address, cell phone, etc and meet somewhere with lots of people.

I wouldn't meet them up in the downtown Oakland 9pm to buy a $3k Camero.

Yeah, I fought that battle with 2 of the 3 dogs I have now. They did everything except the 1000 question psych profile, which I'm surprised didn't happen. One of the outfits I dealt with had all these 'steps' and hoops to jump through, and after 3 weeks I still didn't have a dog because they were so busy making other people jump through hoops. I finally just called them and told them to forget it.

Most of them are doing homeless animals a great disservice with their miles and miles of red tape.

Quote:
Most of them are doing homeless animals a great disservice with their miles and miles of red tape.

That's my take. They have some "higher calling" that's almost para-religious. "You have to be good enough to worship the dog we charge you every step of the way to grant you the honor of having in your home" type thing. They also form a club of self employment of sorts. Most don't need the money ..and that's why they don't see how much they charge to get an animal rescued. If you balk at the costs, you're not suitable as a care giver for the animal.

The same thing occurs with human rescues, though I can justify the sphincter check ..but still balk at the costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back