Cracked BFG KO2 after 2 years and 13k miles

So do you tow or carry that additional payload, because you indicated they are not abused? If you need coil overs etc. for additional payload, well, that is a different story.

But, what they can do that Michelin Defender LTX cannot do? What load do you need?
Clearly, that is either a manufacturing issue or you damaged a tire somewhere not knowing.

I tow within the limitations of the payload and GVWR. $4k in suspension parts significantly improves the overall performance of the truck. The KO2s were also an improvement over the OEM Duratracs.

I’m going to try a new LT tire next time, however as I said these are the lightest in this size. I don’t want SL or 55 lb LT tires.

The tire had nothing external to indicate any cause for the crack. No scuff, mark or anything. That is why it was warrantied by AT.

I guess they must work in wet Sierra snow but they are horrid in dry powder. I really wanted to like them but between poor snow performance and jack of all trades, master of none performance in all other aspects, I can't justify trying them again. I put 20,000 or so miles on my 2000 Blazer and put close to 30,000 miles on a 2004 Chevy 2500HD truck with them, I just don't get the love for what I found out to be an average tire.

Yes wet sierra snow is what we have. I put the selector in AWD and it tracks straight and true. There is a compromise in freeway manners vs. off road performance. I’d rather the bias be towards pavement for my uses.

E rated tires don't vibrate if they're balanced properly. And they seem to be able to take more abuse (sharp rocks, potholes, etc) they are heavy and will affect your acceleration and mpg by a small amount

I want a diesel Colorado, they seem like a great truck

E rated tires don't vibrate if they're balanced properly. And they seem to be able to take more abuse (sharp rocks, potholes, etc) they are heavy and will affect your acceleration and mpg by a small amount

I want a diesel Colorado, they seem like a great truck

Aggressive tires like mud terrains or any tire that has a wide block pattern will be loud and have vibrations at higher speeds.

I’m selling my Canyon Duramax later this year as I want a bigger truck. If you're seriously interested I will send you a message.

Aggressive tires like mud terrains or any tire that has a wide block pattern will be loud and have vibrations at higher speeds.

I’m selling my Canyon Duramax later this year as I want a bigger truck. If you're seriously interested I will send you a message.
I just run all terrain tires, m/t are too much for the 3x a year i go offroading.

And I don't need another car at the moment, so unless you're selling it for ridiculously cheap I'll pass.

I just run all terrain tires, m/t are too much for the 3x a year i go offroading.

And I don't need another car at the moment, so unless you're selling it for ridiculously cheap I'll pass.

Duratracs are a hybrid mud terrain. They have an open block tread pattern with the accompanying vibrations and noise on the freeway.

I don’t think I’ll need to sell it cheap. A 2017 CCLB Canyon ATX with every option including the Duramax is a rare package. It took me 6 months to find one that wasn’t in another state.

It also has $7k in upgrades and only 50k miles. I’m going to post it on here for sale first before it goes up somewhere else.

Duratracs are a hybrid mud terrain. They have an open block tread pattern with the accompanying vibrations and noise on the freeway.

I don’t think I’ll need to sell it cheap. A 2017 CCLB Canyon ATX with every option including the Duramax is a rare package. It took me 6 months to find one that wasn’t in another state.

It also has $7k in upgrades and only 50k miles. I’m going to post it on here for sale first before it goes up somewhere else.
I know there's hybrid a/t tires and rugged terrain tires and duratracs. When I said all terrain i meant something like cooper at3 or geolandar g015.

No issues with mine. And the prior AT radials of each generation have each lasted 10 years and no problems.

Hope there isn’t a new rubber that is problematic.

I tow within the limitations of the payload and GVWR. $4k in suspension parts significantly improves the overall performance of the truck. The KO2s were also an improvement over the OEM Duratracs.

I’m going to try a new LT tire next time, however as I said these are the lightest in this size. I don’t want SL or 55 lb LT tires.

The tire had nothing external to indicate any cause for the crack. No scuff, mark or anything. That is why it was warrantied by AT.

Yes wet sierra snow is what we have. I put the selector in AWD and it tracks straight and true. There is a compromise in freeway manners vs. off road performance. I’d rather the bias be towards pavement for my uses.
What were the improvements over the duratracs? I'm on my second set of duratracs, 50k miles on the current set. Thinking I'm going to try either the ko2 or Falken wildpeak next time.

What were the improvements over the duratracs? I'm on my second set of duratracs, 50k miles on the current set. Thinking I'm going to try either the ko2 or Falken wildpeak next time.

Improvements? Vibration above 60 mph and howling on the freeway. I got rid of them at 35k miles. The Duratracs were also SL, so load rating was better as well.

The Duratracs are also heavy for an SL tire, fuel economy is the same with KO2s.

Improvements? Vibration above 60 mph and howling on the freeway. I got rid of them at 35k miles. The Duratracs were also SL, so load rating was better as well.

The Duratracs are also heavy for an SL tire, fuel economy is the same with KO2s.
Oh okay, mine are load range D and they were reasonably quiet for the type of tire that they are. The first set never got rotated (I didn't own the truck then) and the noise was unbearable at 45k miles. The current set I rotated every 6k and they're just starting to get noisy at 50k miles. No vibration though, just sound.

My dad has a set of duratracs for when he goes off road, they ride nice and smooth compared to the 19.5 motorhome tires he usually runs, but they're really loud

I quit buying BFG's about 20 years ago because after 4 years the cracking on the sidewall near the bead was so bad I couldn't in good conscience haul my family around on those tires anymore and I had to replace them with about 80% of the tread left. This was on a Ford F53 chassis 29' motorhome. Tires were BFG commercial radials. They were not overloaded, covered when parked, and always inflated to the proper (max) pressure.

[QUOTE="I I try telling people not to get them but a lot don’t listen
[/QUOTE]
Why, they are a great tire. I have used them almost exclusively since 1995 ( yes I know the design has changed some over the years).

Add me to the KO2 hater list. 275/65-18 LRE on my F150 got cracks on all 4 tires, the exact same locations, where the tread wraps around the sidewall. Tires had 75% left, 4 yrs old. This appears to be a western US, dry climate/heat issue.

Both KO2 hate and myopia is not justified. They are good all-around AT tires but they also aren’t the best in every category.
100%.

I run them because I like how they look and ride, and have had great luck with them on my Jeeps as far as traction and lasting a long time. I wouldn't put them on a heavy truck though. A few friends ran them on heavier trucks like an F250, a Chevy Duramax, etc, and they did not last long at all.

Back