CQ R85516 Cut Open. College Kid Special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a full service shop and this morning we did an oil change on a keep commander with the 4.7L. I could barely make out the last service sticker but it was at least 11k miles since it was changed last.

It didn't say what oil was used last but the filter was a CarQuest R88516. The amount of dirt in this thing was astounding
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Is this a Fram made CQ Red? It looks like it held up just fine.

I think it is. I can see a red date code on the side of the can in the first pic.
And I agree, seems it did its job, even if over the mileage it was designed for.
I wish Carquest had stuck with Fram (or Wix) for their filters.

Samrsnow, what did you cut that open with, a bandsaw?
Hard to tell sometimes how much debris is from the oil and what is from cutting it. It is why I finally broke down and bought a proper filter cutter.
Thanks for the C&P though.

I cut it open with a hack saw and a vice. I had never opened a filter before, so it was all we had at the shop. That's pretty much all dirt you see.

Thanks for that; I guess i don't get it; plenty of people run 10K+ OCI with no issues. Did anyone check to see if there is actually an air filter installed; it is not clear how all that got into the oil.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Is that the bypass valve and end cap in the background? Did it fall off by itself?

No, he cut the entire top off the filter off, media and all.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Is that the bypass valve and end cap in the background? Did it fall off by itself?

No, he cut the entire top off the filter off, media and all.

Yeah I went fully idiot mode and didn't look up where to cut.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Thanks for that; I guess i don't get it; plenty of people run 10K+ OCI with no issues. Did anyone check to see if there is actually an air filter installed; it is not clear how all that got into the oil.

Yes that is true. Taking into consideration it was being driven by a college aged girl I don't think it's been well maintained throughout the OCI. Her dad was there and said there wasn't much showing on the dipstick, so it consumed a bit of oil. I have no idea about the air filter but that's most likely the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back