Couple of J35 questions

Hi.
Looking at a few different cars again. Is a Tbelt-h20 pump job priced relatively the same, whether in an Accord or an Acura TL? 2012 range, for reference.

Second, how much of a premium do Acura parts cost - talking about the things you'd normally do when taking them to higher mileage....suspension, steering, starters, alternators, etc

Lastly, how prevalent are the motor mount issues...or is that a bit overblown?

Thanks.

All of this is available online if you search. Try buying a honda timing belt kit. Try buying a acura timing belt kit.

All motor mounts fail with age.

Since you seem to be looking at 12 year old vehicles, consider budgeting another 3-4k on top of whatever you are shopping for since you do not seem to be asking DIY cost questions.

If your not doing stuff like motor mounts yourself, and don't want to pay for lots of repairs, IMO, either get a much newer car, or something simple and reliable like a Corolla or Yaris. Something simple, NA, with old tech 4 cyl's with timing chains.

Hi.
Looking at a few different cars again. Is a Tbelt-h20 pump job priced relatively the same, whether in an Accord or an Acura TL? 2012 range, for reference.

Second, how much of a premium do Acura parts cost - talking about the things you'd normally do when taking them to higher mileage....suspension, steering, starters, alternators, etc

Lastly, how prevalent are the motor mount issues...or is that a bit overblown?

Thanks.
Yeah. Labor might be a little less actually for the TL because it uses electric power steering so no ps pump to remove. Acura parts are weird with cost. Some parts are cheap while others are really expensive. Think things on the TL run a little above average in the general OEM parts space. I think the motor mount issues are a little overblown, but they do go bad. Friend's 2012 Tech vibrates a bit due to a suspected bad rear mount.

I got the TKH -- 002 timing belt kit off Rock Auto for my 08 Acura TL 3.2L multiple years back and had my garage install the components for 600 bucks. Find a reliable/quality garage and you will be fine.

Yeah. Labor might be a little less actually for the TL because it uses electric power steering so no ps pump to remove. Acura parts are weird with cost. Some parts are cheap while others are really expensive. Think things on the TL run a little above average in the general OEM parts space. I think the motor mount issues are a little overblown, but they do go bad. Friend's 2012 Tech vibrates a bit due to a suspected bad rear mount.
Appreciate this, as I was trying to spur on more convo regarding Acura as a brand. I've never owned an Acura, the TL has always caught my attention. Just doesn't seem as cut and dry of a brand, as say, discussing a Lexus

I say if you like Hondas, you'll love Acuras. Apart from a few troubled periods (99-03 in particular), the cars are usually very solid. The main thing is that Honda likes to do things in-house a lot of the time and it shows in the designs of their cars.

Don’t buy a Honda timing belt kit or water pump from ebay or Amazon. They might have Honda part numbers on the packages but are counterfeit.

I've owned several models of both brands over the past 34 years. Acura dealers are good to avoid for service, but parts prices generally won't break the bank. Your key is buying one with a documented service and maintenance history. That could really improve your satisfaction level. My all time favorite Acura model was my 1990 Legend sedan.

I have own both paste and maintain both for friends and family. What I like is the consistency. Whether is the J35 or J37 a valve adjustment is the same. The timingbelt kits are the same. I have installed many Aisin kits TKH-002 and like them.

Sway bar end links are the first to go. When you hear a clunking on the suspension, guranteed it will the end links. Honda OEM are actually very competitive from online dealers.

On the acuras the driver door wiring Barnes is so thick with the electronics they connectors and wires brake after a period of time. If you experience electrical gremlins check you driver door wiring harness. Had to replace 3 on acuras around the 150K mark.

Stunts are not far behind.

All of the 200 K+ mile Hondas/Acuras I maintained had, had original tire rods and CV axels.

I have only had to replace 1 wheel bearing and that was on a lower mileage pilot.

10,12,14, and 17mm wrenches/sockets cover 95% of the fasteners, You will need a 19mm for the crank bolt (I use a lisle heavy mass socket, with an air impact spins the bolts right off).

I like working on the Hondas/acura vs Toyota. but I think the Toyotas are better cars mechanically.

Back